Blue Knights 2017

TrueBK

Watched BK tonight on Flo.  I like some of the changes I noticed...I'm sure there were changes I didn't notice.  Here are a couple:

Flag changes?  Seems more colorful.

More color in the guard equipment?  The backs of the mirrors, the bows, etc.

The biggest change:  The voice-over.  It connects everything together.  Clarifies the Corps movements.  BIG improvement.

Question:  Was that voice-over always planned to be included?  Or was it a late decision to add it?

Anyway, I REALLY like their show this year.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 1

My guess: it was a mid-season call. I don't remember previous BK shows waiting this long, or waiting at all, to introduce voice. Could be wrong.

The additional ending is a huge change, too, and will be a powerhouse once they stop thinking it and start performing it. You could see them switch to a spring-training look when they moved into the new ending last night. After a few days of reps, though, it will be seamless and will start to sing.

I noticed some refinements to the end of 107 Steps, which always has been the most problematic effect moment of the whole show for me. It seems the team is working on all the right things, and I know the members are in super high spirits about where they're going with the show.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

I usually despise narration, but in this case it helped tremendously. It was just a little too serious, at least in Nashville, but at least you understood what was happening in the show. 

I still think their choice of guard props is fundamentally problematic and cannot be cleaned. If somehow they could stop using too-small mirrors, eyeballs and pictures, and move to a modern way to tell stories, this corps could really challenge the top group.

One thing that I recognized and loved about Blue Knights in Nashville is that they only used microphones to project the sound and for soloists. And the soloists, sending the signal through midi for different outputs, was very very slick. And when they hit the whole ensemble total volume moments, the sound wave hit you physically like wind. It was incredible the blast they put out.

• Like 1

Very cool video, a good watch for all to gain some insight into "i"

• Like 2

I would love to see more appreciation for this stunning show, but I can understand the muted/confused audience. The show has so much more traction when you really dig into it than any other show thrown on the field, but you have to be willing to search yourself for it and let the show guide you.

• Like 3

What Bocook, Jackson, and whoever else are arranging for the Blue Knights is incredibly fresh and modern while still maintaining what made me fall in love with the activity in the first place.  It's both incredibly progressive and exciting and incredibly traditional and pure at the same time.  I'm not sure if the overall concept and design execution is as good as 2014 or 2015 but this is back to what I loved so much about those shows.   Amazing job.  So glad this show grew on me.   

• Like 5

BK - your show is awesome! Great performance tonight. The music is beautiful and your MM's put their all into the performance. Another show that I can download as an MP3 and listen to over and over.

Kudos to your guard - from the beginning to now - dealing with untraditional props and changes in drill/routine. 

Bravo!

• Like 2