Finals Week Idea

Since most corps are not participating (or allowing members to participate) in the I&E performances on Wednesday of Finals week, what about this idea...

-Drumline Battle, with all the corps (open and world class), and have them seeded out based on percussion scores from the summer. Take part of a day, and let the lines have some fun, and throw down. Thoughts?!?!?!? I know some corps would still poo-poo the idea, but here's to dreaming.

Since most corps are not participating (or allowing members to participate) in the I&E performances on Wednesday of Finals week, what about this idea...

-Drumline Battle, with all the corps (open and world class), and have them seeded out based on percussion scores from the summer. Take part of a day, and let the lines have some fun, and throw down. Thoughts?!?!?!? I know some corps would still poo-poo the idea, but here's to dreaming.

Sounds fun but unrealistic. They want to use the time to practice and clean before quarters. I don't see at least the WC corps doing this.

DCI for several seasons around the first Boulder/Denver championships had a Color Guard championship as well as the drum corps championship.

It died for many reasons but especially for what afd mentions in the post above.

The OP fails to understand that many corps don't participate in I&E as they see championship week as a full corps experience, not an individual or sectional experience. His proposal runs counter to those expectations. I see the proposal going the way of DCI CG championships.

I don't understand why they moved I&E to championships week. San Antonio seemed as good a place as any.

I don't claim to know why, but I would guess that with I&E in Indy, all open class corps (the ones that travel to championships, anyway) can participate, plus it seems to have become a sort of community outreach thing in the streets of Indy.

The focus of finals week should be Open Class on Monday and Tuesday, World Class on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I have no problem with I and E, Drumline Battle, or Soundsport, but none of these events should take away from finals. Adding an expanded Drumline battle on the Wednesday would be an added pressure for the corps and I don't think it would get an audience, and judging from all the drum corps t-shirts and jackets I saw at the Indiana State Fair, most of us who arrive early head for a fried food fest at the fairgrounds.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they moved I&E to championships week.

Since there's nothing else happening on Wednesday? LOL

Since there's nothing else happening on Wednesday? LOL

and it's a myth that the thousands who fill the stands for World Class contests in Indy are just hanging out with nothing to do for the rest of the week.

Or is DCI front office by pushing these other activities during Finals week actually saying between the lines after interminable years in Indy, that there is nothing to do in Indy?

In fact, even the Hoosiers there struggle with something to do in Indy, so they start school ahead of the rest of the other 49 States.

Edited by xandandl