Favorite "lost" drum corps moments?

I liked when the Devils had part of the Patrick Williams chart "Threshold" in the 96 show. I was hoping they would expand it and they cut it altogether.

I guess it didn't fit the theme of that show, but I really like that tune.

The Cadets '93 early season was more meaty and a lot more exciting in the first half of the show. I may have a tape of that one somewhere.

<edit>

Fixed the terrible sentence I originally wrote, then wrongly edited.

Geesh, getting old.

Edited by jjeffeory

What are your favorite show moments, musical or visual, that never saw the light of day come finals night and thus have been lost to history? Anything from technical sections that were hosed down, to entire pieces that were replaced after early-season camps.

I gotta start with the original Cadets 1995 ending, which was a classic fast ending in the same vein as Bocook's work the two previous years. The slow company-front ending that they settled on is one for the ages, of course, but what Jay was able to pull off with this first piece of writing was nothing short of magical.

Strong runner up is the "second ballad" that was cut for time from the Cadets 2000 show, which was beautiful, but I can't find a link to the pre-season recording that featured it. (If you have access to this, let me know!)

Honorable mention goes to the original Crown 2014 ending, which I felt was much more effective than what replaced it.

How about yours?

Anything happening outside of the 35 yard lines (about half or more of our ensemble) on 1970's era recordings. Gone.

Cavaliers' 1987 show opened with Claude T. Smith's "Festival Variations," a work commissioned by Arnold Gabriel and the U.S. Air Force Band. It was chock full of runs and tricky rhythms, with the corps played in the early season. Then the fire hose came out and the piece got watered down to the point that it was in danger of floating away. The corps members took to calling the final version "Festival Dilutions."

• Like 1

I was intrigued by North Star's opener of Gino Vanelli's "Prelude to War" when I saw the corps at the 1980 DCI Midwest Championship in Whitewater. The piece was perhaps too subtle for the effect (and scores) they wanted, and by the time I saw them next at the DCI World Championships in Birmingham, the piece had been changed to Chuck Mangione's "El Gato Triste." Drum corps media wasn't what it is today, and so I was unaware there had been a change in musical selection until I saw them in Prelims in Birmingham.

Cavaliers' 1987 show opened with Claude T. Smith's "Festival Variations," a work commissioned by Arnold Gabriel and the U.S. Air Force Band. It was chock full of runs and tricky rhythms, with the corps played in the early season. Then the fire hose came out and the piece got watered down to the point that it was in danger of floating away. The corps members took to calling the final version "Festival Dilutions."

Such a shame.

I still think Festival Variations could be dynamite in a modern DCI show. The trombone gliss is really the basis for the whole piece, including how that stellar full ensemble chromatic run builds to 3 more big glisses to end it.

I'm a big fan of wind ensemble pieces, and Festival Variations is still an exhilarating listen.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

I was looking forward to seeing Star of Indiana's "hamster wheels" used at the end of their 1986 space show, but they accomplished nothing but laughter from the audience and disdain from the judges, so they were quickly removed from the show and literally buried by a backhoe being Star's corps hall.

I'd have to say most of 92 SCV Fiddler show. IIRC I Saw it early in CA then by finals virtually stripped.