Favorite "lost" drum corps moments?

Just some that stick out to me...

-Blue Stars 2011- There was a rim shot that you could hear the echo in Lucas Oil, even on the CDs.

-Phantom 1995- Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini (withe framing by the guard)

-Madison 1997- The bass drums just ripping it underneath all the other stuff going on during the "fight" sequence

-Crossmen 1992- Not really the corps (which was on fire at finals), but the fan screaming "Crossmen drumliiiiiiiiiiiiiiine," and then the ding of the final note

-Crossmen 1992- Not really the corps (which was on fire at finals), but the fan screaming "Crossmen drumliiiiiiiiiiiiiiine," and then the ding of the final note

The complete silence of the crowd that *should* have been on the CDs I guess is the lost moment here. :tongue:

The same guy screamed "Crossmen drumline" in 1993 before the start of the third song. He had a friend join though.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting one. This didn't get cut, it just didn't get shown. Finals Week of 04, PC at the end of the opener formed up in a block on the 50 for the last few bars. To milk some extra GE out of that section, we spent about half a day of rehearsal learning and cleaning a new ripple style visual. It was performed only once live, at quarters. Sadly, we didn't make semis that year, and the camera didn't show the block during that section. So no one outside of that live audience ever got to see the new visual, including the members.

RimShotTerrence ftw

:sumo:

That was, without a doubt, one of the strangest things I have ever seen on this site.

• Like 2

I am a bit partial to the original 1980 SCV concert piece, "Caravan", penned by Stan Kenton's arranger, Dave Barduhn. And then there's "Stone Ground Seven", complete with the brass parts arranged by Fred Sanford and Ralph Hardimon.

Both can be heard on the CD "State of the Art", which was recorded mid-season at the Concord Pavilion.

I have this recording and am partial to it too. Good work. I also like SCV's Through the Years and wish Carolina Crown do a similar compilation. I can't get any recordings of DCI 2013 after visiting Indy. I picked up an early recording of The re:Rite of Spring at the Market Place. It's all good.

It's not too well known but during my time in '84 SCV the initial arrangement for Fanfare & Allegro we received was much more true to the '73 version, particularly the end. And, we had it nailed. Somewhere around the Memorial Day camp (?) Mello tech John F (76-81 vet) took the FOUR mellophone players (George, John, and two others who escape me) off site for a couple hours. When they got back, Tim and Co ran us through opener: "play it straight on the first pass" and we did. It sounded #####en, as usual. Then again: "this time, everyone hold the last chord and follow Rick for a crescendo." Off we go, and we follow Rick...

When we hit the last chord at ballsando, a 747-esque wall of superheated mello sound drowned all of us out. It was unreal-- FOUR mellos vs the rest of us, and we were outnumbered. The corps hall shook.

It turns out John had taken the 4 guys off site, and, in a collaborative effort, the five of them wrote by rote and woodshedded the "Mellophones from Below Hell" ending. When we got done with the second run with the Mello Hell ending and our hearing "sort of" returned (eeee mopmopmop) the hornline was asked to vote. A minority liked the original but the Mello Hell version won the vote, and that is the version on the CD/DVD you hear today, played by those same 4 gents.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1