Is there any DCA presence/options in Texas?

DCA has 19 competing corps, 11 from the NE.

DCA had 22 field contests this year, 17 of which were held in the NE.

Historically, DCA has always been that way, including staging their championships in the NE every single year of their 50 year lifespan.

Seems fair to say that DCA is primarily a NE activity. Why get bent out of shape over that?

not bent at all,..............simply not part of the original posters question,....................

• Like 2

At one time there where 3 DCA corps out of Texas, Frontier , Dallas Tx.Gulf Coast Sound ,.Houston Tx Bayou City Blues I thought there was one more but can't recall.

The Vigilantes made DCA Class A finals in 2009, I think it was.... then they were gone about as fast as they arrived on the scene.

• Like 1

I very recently started paying attention to DCA and I've become more interested in doing it. I'm from east Texas and I know there isn't any currently established Corps from Texas. Does anybody know of any corps nearby that compete in DCA? Or any mini-corps from Texas?

Thanks for the help!

Quit your job, or school or whatever and join The Kilties....it's too #### hot down there anyway. :w00t:

• Like 1

DCA has 19 competing corps, 11 from the NE.

DCA had 22 field contests this year, 17 of which were held in the NE.

Historically, DCA has always been that way, including staging their championships in the NE every single year of their 50 year lifespan.

Seems fair to say that DCA is primarily a NE activity. Why get bent out of shape over that?

While I'm not bent out of shape, consider this.

47 percent of the corps competing at finals this year were from OUTSIDE the Northeast.

Only 22 percent of the shows last year were held outside the Northeast.

it would be GREAT to see some of the Northeastern corps travel to the Midwest or the South to compete in a show. There has even been talk of hosting a show in a "centralized location" (Maybe Ohio or Indiana area?) and having all the corps converge.

Would be great to be able to see everyone go head to head with without anyone having to spend $25,000 for a single trip.

AA

not bent at all,..............simply not part of the original posters question,....................

Well, neither was your response.

The real answer to his question is simply "no". There are no corps nearby that compete in DCA, either field or minicorps. Nearest are in Alabama (Rocketeers minicorps, and Southern Knights aspiring to become a DCA field corps).

While I'm not bent out of shape, consider this.

47 percent of the corps competing at finals this year were from OUTSIDE the Northeast.

Only 22 percent of the shows last year were held outside the Northeast.

it would be GREAT to see some of the Northeastern corps travel to the Midwest or the South to compete in a show. There has even been talk of hosting a show in a "centralized location" (Maybe Ohio or Indiana area?) and having all the corps converge.

Would be great to be able to see everyone go head to head with without anyone having to spend $25,000 for a single trip.

AA

Topic has been done to death previously. Attempts were made to do so in the past. Was a fiscal disaster when attempted in NC.

After going to 6 contests this season, I've been concluding there actually needs to be less contests. Cut the season to 3-4 weeks in length. Most corps really aren't ready until August, and those that are ready frankly aren't getting any real benefits for doing so.

After going to 6 contests this season, I've been concluding there actually needs to be less contests. Cut the season to 3-4 weeks in length. Most corps really aren't ready until August, and those that are ready frankly aren't getting any real benefits for doing so.

You want to kill the activity? Do that.

• Like 4

Topic has been done to death previously. Attempts were made to do so in the past. Was a fiscal disaster when attempted in NC.

You have a good point. There was at least one corps that was not ready in June and requested exhibition status.

If this becomes a trend...where the corps cannot pull it together by June or the content of the program is so difficult that they cannot be ready by June.. They probably should skip the entire Month of June and get ready for the competitive season.

Edited by camel lips

So, to sum up... to the OP's original request...

What Gary said. Bayou City Blues are the all-age game in town right now in Texas.

Perhaps someday we'll see more again. Probably a topic for another thread, as is the entire "corps not ready for early-season shows" thing. .

You want to kill the activity? Do that.

Okay, John.

Let's see what's happened. July 4, C2 shows up with an incomplete program. Wins it all as compared to several programs who were very ready in June, and really gained no benefit from doing so.

Lessons learned from this season and from one a couple of years back-

Doesn't matter what you do all season as long as you can kick it in for Championship weekend and step up huge. That is what it is. Show planners now have to plan to just get the show right for Finals and not worry what's being performed in front of the audience for the regular season.

Which leads me to think, why should I travel and see that all summer as I did? Why should I bother knowing the real solid performance will be in Rochester and what I'm seeing is nothing even remotely like what that will be? Maybe THAT is what could be killing things.

Look. I have no kid in a corps, no dog in the fight. But why should I travel 100+ miles one way as I did for most contests and shell out about 150 dollars in tickets this year... and really have it come home this season that I might as well wait to watch the corps in mid-late August if I want to even have an inkling of what the real Championship performance look like during Labor Day.

It is what it is, and while it may prove to be more suspenseful and exciting for a lot of folks... it flat out left me pretty cynical when it all shook out.