"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

I admit I haven't seen it yet - it's on DVR - busy week. But without watching a single bit of footage, without my own little criticisms of how they did or didn't include this or that, I want to say, unequivocally, that this exposure HAS TO BE GOOD for the activity. Huge positive.

No doubt it is great for the activity, but especially if it leads to a 2017 series that is much more serious about the content.

• Like 1

I don't know the guard captain, it would be nothing but presumptuous to make any kind of guess at his motives or state of mind. but I never got immersed enough to not feel the camera crew...so it felt odd when he said he was quitting, driving away, was sitting along on a cliff looking at the woods...but the whole time we Know there's a camera crew right behind him. I suppose they reenacted these moments for filming if they didn't catch them initially. so regardless of his actual feelings, the way it is presented makes it Feel synthetic, which is an injustice if it was sincere.

I do think the show so far has avoided the things which would have been 'bad' for the activity, but I also think that it could have been better (not that their job is to be a recruiting medium for the activity, of course, they've got their own thing). but if it never ends up showing a 'wow' moment on the field then the show will have opted not to present one of the core virtues of the activity and that's a shame. a full show is a lot to ask, but I just want a solid minute or 90s of Real Show to get that aspect across.

me, i'd feel like I was sold a bad bill if I watched the whole series about putting together a production but then never get to see the production.

It was my understanding that there are 8 episodes, each a half hour long (20 minutes of show). Last night we saw the first two episodes back to back. That leaves only 6 episodes to go...or a total of 2 more hours of show time. Can't expect too much "in-depth" coverage of the entire activity or with showing of performances with that time limitation.

Have to wonder...was the "drama" with the guard captain.......created?

I doubt the precipitating event that spurred the guard captain to leave was manufactured. How could that possibly be in Cadets or the CG captain's best interest? Ultimately, from their perspectives, it is all about the show on the field. But, "Clash" may have been a big reason he came back, and it is reasonable to believe that at least some of the scenes shot of him away from the corps were dramatizations. Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Interesting, I was just thinking that it was made for insiders, not outsiders. Insiders (band kids) are the real target audience and they'll likely have a clear "band-camp" idea of what's going on. They'll also see the level of commitment and work needed.

I would bet (although I surely don't know) that someone got the idea that this is for band kids, and the editor took for granted that they would be somewhat familiar with what's going on.

Maybe later, when the show actually takes shape, it will have more "fans in the stands" connection.

Dunno, really. Just a guess.

I've certainly noticed some high school band directors post promos for the show on their bands' Facebook pages over the past couple weeks.

• Like 1

I've certainly noticed some high school band directors post promos for the show on their bands' Facebook pages over the past couple weeks.

We spoke it up at band practices over the past few weeks, and also posted it on our FB page.

• Like 1

Overnights are released at 4PM ET to Nielsen subscribers (e.g. The network and ad agencies). There is a website called TV By the Numbers that releases cable ratings, but they only get the top rated shows. You can look to see if it made the list.

I watched the "hourlong" version and i took more away from it than seeing just the one segment and was able to connect a little bit more to it.

(Full disclosure: I did watch the Facebook thing on my iPhone and the screen was covered with floating hearts)

As others said, the relative disarray of the Cadets show development is communicated pretty well.

I am wondering if the producers and network even want to do this show for another season. If they did, they'd have to start filming in November and probably would have to be reaching out to corps now to lay the groundwork.

I was hoping you'd respond. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Because of the low budget nature of the pilot, the fact that there is no background footage on any of the characters or corps is a major problem and downfall for the show. Personally, I would have spent a good 15 minutes learning about BD and Cadets from a historic standpoint, letting Scott and George talk about what makes their respective organizations different and unique. Without that, you just don't have a clue about the stakes.

Also, personally, the fact that they are clearly ignoring ALL of the other corps is really sad to me. I saw a Bluecoats T shirt on a MM last night...and that's literally all I have seen of DCI. There is just no context to this show right now.

give it time. other episodes to follow.

• Like 1

I think it's WAY too early to become a Debbie-Downer about the show, the content, or the direction. Let it build.

It's absolutely most likely that those of us on the "inside" will be the most critical. Therefore, it makes all the sense in the world for us to restrain ourselves from becoming too negative. One never knows who might overhear - or read - the negative vibes and be turned off.

My Mom taught me that everyone gets the benefit of the doubt the first time. This is the first, so give it time.

• Like 2

I doubt the precipitating event that spurred the guard captain to leave was manufactured. How could that possibly be in Cadets or the CG captain's best interest? Ultimately, from their perspectives, it is all about the show on the field. But, "Clash" may have been a big reason he came back, and it is reasonable to believe that at least some of the scenes shot of him away from the corps were dramatizations.

riiiiiight. because they have time for that. its not the first time someone has been able to take a couple days away for various reasons. it happens. we don't know the full terms he left on, or how long he was gone, or what terms he came back on. but it does happen. I've seen it.

• Like 1

riiiiiight. because they have time for that. its not the first time someone has been able to take a couple days away for various reasons. it happens. we don't know the full terms he left on, or how long he was gone, or what terms he came back on. but it does happen. I've seen it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are already setting up the story line for Cadets...