"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

I was just thinking that they'd have a bigger audience at prime-time...was just hoping for the best exposure...I'm outside their target audience (18 to 34 y/o) anyway...but I really liked the program...

It's 2016. Time slot is meaningless, especially with the target audience very much into streaming and time-shifting.

oh hell i thought it was tomorrow

You can watch on fuse tomorrow the first TWO episodes...they only streamed the first episode on the rocks Facebook page...

I just love the fact that the first 2 Cadet staffers we see are 2 former BLUE DEVILS...both of whom I marched with!

Muuhahahahaaaaa!! We are everywhere!

It'll be interesting to see the different staff approaches...hard-### doesn't always work,

It's 2016. Time slot is meaningless, especially with the target audience very much into streaming and time-shifting.

That was not my point...you make it sound like I was criticizing the program time...I only wish for the absolute best exposure for the program...you are wrong about the time-slot...I have a strong advertising background although not specifically with television...while there is a shift in audience patterns...the viewers 18-49 tend to tune in during the latter part of prime time unlike what you are trying to say here...but you are correct about TV viewership among these groups declining and the patterns and trends of this group into streaming IMO.

Edited by Liahona

The following question was asked on reddit (drumcorps)... "Thoughts on the first episode of Clash of the Corps?" Some of the initial comments were...

---------------
Also, how dare George Hopkins hate booty shorts lol
I have a feeling that comment is far more telling about Hop's character than the surface value.
--------------
Between what I saw from this episode, and from what we all saw here in the Reddit Drum Corps world... ####, Cadets is all over the place.
I'd like them to do Season 2, and showcase the Midwestern Drum Corps. I mean, Phantom, Cavaliers, Scouts, and Colts all right there.
--------------
I thought it was pretty incoherent. It glossed over a lot of stuff and was more like a collage of random rehearsal footage and interviews.
--------------
All I can think about is the Cadets colorguard and how it looked like it sucked to be them. I hope how they were portrayed in the show isn't how it actually is over there.
Edit: my grammar also sucks
That level of discipline is not uncommon in drum corps, or even really competitive bands. They just featured it (in an edited way) in this episode. It doesn't suck to be in The Cadets color guard, but it's difficult. That's true in all corps.
-------------
This has nothing to do with the show, but learning a 14 year old got on the BD snare line is just insane and tells me I need to push harder.
he was 16 iirc. marched academy before BD
I still find that insane.
of course. youngest marcher in world class next to Arjun I think. marched BDB, coats and now BD.
Hearing about all of this makes me want to work my ### off on my horn and make a corps this year.
You're on the clock buddy, get on it!!
He's been playing for quite a long time. This is him in 2010.

--------------

It was aight.
--------------
I can dig it. There is only so much you can put into what 20 minute episodes?
--------------
I thought it was well shot, but really jumpy. I hope as the show progresses they develop more of a cohesive story arch(s). That first episode just seemed a little ADHD and light on the information.
--------------
The problem I have with it, and I had a feeling this would happen, is that the show seems too choppy and disorganized. They have so much material to work with, and I feel like they're leaving a lot of good material out
-------------
was that not the full first episode, or are they airing two back-to-back tomorrow night? the promo at the end of the livestream definitely said one hour premiere. does anybody even know? lol
I was wondering this too. I'm thinking that this was just a sampler of the episode airing tomorrow. The characters were barely introduced and their story lines seemed oddly truncated.
Seems about right, episodes are about 20+ minutes of content and 10 minutes of commercials. Harsh reality of 30 minute tv blocks.
--------------
I'm sure it'll be more focused once they can highlight the TOC events, the absurdly close Regionals, first time West and East coast meet up, etc. It was a little all over the place tonight, trying to touch on too many points then jump to the other group.
Already expecting the Cadets staff drama soon too.
--------------
Overall it was better than I expected. I'm just happy they didn't make it into another stereotypical reality show and it looks like they'll be giving a fairly accurate portrayal. My only major complaint, as some people have stated, is how jumpy and unfocused it seems to be. I get there's only so much you can do with 20-something minutes, but it still bugs me.
-------------
TBH it kinda felt like all other reality tv shows. It felt like they were just milking any chance to get a tear jerk or a bad mouth about the other corps. Also felt like they missed out a lot of explaining and details and sorta just jumped around a lot. Hopefully it gets better when tour starts.
'Hopefully it gets better when tour starts.'
It always does :p
-------------

The following question was asked on reddit (drumcorps)... "Thoughts on the first episode of Clash of the Corps?" Some of the initial comments were...

I thought the show was OK, considering how awful I was prepared for it to potentially be.

That said, it's sort of felt like they weren't really sure who their potential audience was. If you're going after band kids and parents, I'm not sure that what they showed or maybe what they didn't show is going to appeal to that audience.

If they're going for a broader audience that might be interested mostly in personalities and conflict, I'm not sure the show will ultimately succeed. This is an activity that is very focused on musical performance, and relegating that aspect to a side story is likely a very bad mistake.

If you look at other very successful similar shows, like fast and loud, there is an equal amount of personality and the technical aspect. You are into the personalities, but you still see them build a car.

If all we get to see is how four or five personalities evolve during the season, even I am going to lose interest quickly.

Edited by MikeRapp

That was not my point...you make it sound like I was criticizing the program time...I only wish for the absolute best exposure for the program...you are wrong about the time-slot...I have a strong advertising background although not specifically with television...while there is a shift in audience patterns...the viewers 18-49 tend to tune in during the latter part of prime time unlike what you are trying to say here...but you are correct about TV viewership among these groups declining and the patterns and trends of this group into streaming IMO.

In advertising media buying, "Prime" is defined differently in cable than in broadcast TV. In cable, "Prime" is 7PM to Midnight.

Some of cable's most successful shows for Adults 18-34 air between 11 PM and Midnight(ET), where they compete with local news on broadcast.

Adult Swim programs are a prime example.

Edited by barigirl78