"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

Somewhere in this thread someone said that measurable viewership of something approaching 100,000 would be stellar. Your numbers would make it a blowout success, wouldn't they?

I'd like to know your sources of this number (not a challenge, just anxiously curious). And I'm wondering if there's any data about how many of these eyeballs are "friends" of The Rock (subscribers, etc) and how many are new eyeballs - presumably viewers logging on specifically to see this show.

I thought it was about 18k...that's what I saw in the upper right corner of my viewing screen while I was actually watching the program...BUT I'm sure people will find more accurate analytics somewhere else...

Edited by Liahona

I find it interesting that there was no particular mention (yet?) of DCI. Not even when they talked about getting to Indy.

This kind of dovetails with the info I got that DCI had no involvement with the project. If true, and I have no intention to not believe my source, it suggests that BD and Cadets split any royalties among them and neither DCI nor, by extension, any other corps, participate in the money.

Also strongly suggests to me that they're not going to show or mention any other corps from the season. But I'm obviously speculating at this point.

I find it interesting that there was no particular mention (yet?) of DCI. Not even when they talked about getting to Indy.

This kind of dovetails with the info I got that DCI had no involvement with the project. If true, and I have no intention to not believe my source, it suggests that BD and Cadets split any royalties among them and neither DCI nor, by extension, any other corps, participate in the money.

Also strongly suggests to me that they're not going to show or mention any other corps from the season. But I'm obviously speculating at this point.

DCI did just send out an email promoting the show.

DCI did just send out an email promoting the show.

Yes, and they've been posting on their FB account, too. But so did several other corps.

It's possible that some revenue flowed to DCI and, hence, to the other corps prompting them to advertise it, too. But it might also be that they simply recognize that the pub helps all and still aren't participating in the revenue.

It might also be that, if successful, two or more other corps might participate next year.

I saw the preview. It was good. I can see a small amount of cheese in there but hey it's TV. I really think Dwayne wants to do something good and I really appreciate his efforts. I saw some footage that was from tour but right before that saying such and such day until tour... etc. Only us hard core freaks would know that though

FWIW, based on my experience with similar shows, I would be shocked if BD or Cadets "share" in any revenue from the show whatsoever. They get the exposure, that's it. And they absolutely would not get any say in what content made the show.

• Like 1

I think one of the downsides of the episode length is a lot of stuff falls by the wayside.

It would be nice to have some information on what they are actually competing in and for.

I thought the first episode was okay, but I'd like to see a few more to make a true judgment.

I suspect drum corps fans will be able to follow it better than non-fans and read between the lines, but I'm concerned about what non-fans will take away.

Whether something is scripted or non-scripted, an important thing is getting viewers involved in a journey. Even a good documentary takes you on a journey. You follow it because you care about the characters or the people in the documentary.

To me, the most interesting part of the first episode was the CG member who walked out. But, it didn't get much screen time. I suspect it was because they just didn't have much--if any--footage of what led to the walk-out.

Everything flew by in those first 20 minutes and we only got a perfunctory introduction to the characters the viewer is supposed to care about and want to watch again.

I also wonder if this is a "one off" project or one that has more seasons to it. If the main point is "drum corps is hard", you can communicate that in one season of the show. You don't need two.

It doesn't matter if something is scripted or a docu-series, people want to watch more seasons because they either love the concept (e.g. Survivor with its new cast every season) or want to see more of the characters they were introduced to in season 1 (e.g. the Kardashians, the guys on Deadliest Catch).

By the end of this series, what will people be wanting to see more of from "Clash of the Corps"?

• Like 2