"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

I think its being made for outsiders. Right now they are setting you up with the basics of story. The characters (members names and backgrounds), and the world in which they exist. Its meant to be reality TV, not a documentary. So its going to jump around a bit, but it'll eventually narrow down to several key people, showing their struggles with the activity, life, money, camps, and what happens on a free day when you let the members have time to themselves? woo.

But it reminds me a lot of ice road truckers, deadliest catch, real world... lots of broad strokes to the painting at this point. A few more episodes will likely narrow things down and tell stories. But again, its not meant to be a documentary of either corps, or the activity, its meant to be reality TV. So there's going to be some garbage thrown, and drama depicted to keep average viewers watching.

My honest thoughts on it, It wasn't good enough to inspire others to join or elevate the activity, but it wasn't bad enough to deter them from doing drum corps. Its just... ok. Not great storytelling yet.

I think, like most 'pilot' episodes, this was all set-up: here are the characters, here's a broad sense of what they do & the challenges they'll be struggling with, etc. Most series barely resemble their pilot, as the show develops over time. Heck, over a long-termish documentary (filmed over the course of the year or several years) the characters/situations can radically change. I think this is meant to intro the 'main players' and used Spring Training to do that, while the real 'drama' and fun will come from going on the road, ups/downs of tour & performance highs & lows, etc.

I was pretty surprised about how quickly they seemed to push through spring training until I realized they're setting up the characters more than the activity. Right now it's not that important to the audience to take a quarter or more of the first episode to walk people through the activity: the main audience won't care about the nuance and stuff that we do. What is 100% paramount is that they spend the bulk of time setting up the characters, the feelings, etc. And I think this episode to a good job with that.

Doing a docu-series on just ONE corps would be difficult to 'cram' all the elements of drum corps AND characters: doing two is really tough. I really dug the obvious contrasts in corps' teaching styles/philosophies, staff/member approach to the activity, etc. None of this is a shock to us (2016 BD pretty laid back?! Cadets struggling out of the gun?!). I think THAT more than anything else is the key to drawing people in. Showing folks there are substantial differences from corps-to-corps and that not all 'marching bands' are created equal will make for intriguing viewing.

FWIW students I talked to where I teach loved it: they know very little of drum corps but seemed to get into this.

I think, like most 'pilot' episodes, this was all set-up: here are the characters, here's a broad sense of what they do & the challenges they'll be struggling with, etc. Most series barely resemble their pilot, as the show develops over time. Heck, over a long-termish documentary (filmed over the course of the year or several years) the characters/situations can radically change. I think this is meant to intro the 'main players' and used Spring Training to do that, while the real 'drama' and fun will come from going on the road, ups/downs of tour & performance highs & lows, etc.

I was pretty surprised about how quickly they seemed to push through spring training until I realized they're setting up the characters more than the activity. Right now it's not that important to the audience to take a quarter or more of the first episode to walk people through the activity: the main audience won't care about the nuance and stuff that we do. What is 100% paramount is that they spend the bulk of time setting up the characters, the feelings, etc. And I think this episode to a good job with that.

Doing a docu-series on just ONE corps would be difficult to 'cram' all the elements of drum corps AND characters: doing two is really tough. I really dug the obvious contrasts in corps' teaching styles/philosophies, staff/member approach to the activity, etc. None of this is a shock to us (2016 BD pretty laid back?! Cadets struggling out of the gun?!). I think THAT more than anything else is the key to drawing people in. Showing folks there are substantial differences from corps-to-corps and that not all 'marching bands' are created equal will make for intriguing viewing.

FWIW students I talked to where I teach loved it: they know very little of drum corps but seemed to get into this.

Because of the low budget nature of the pilot, the fact that there is no background footage on any of the characters or corps is a major problem and downfall for the show. Personally, I would have spent a good 15 minutes learning about BD and Cadets from a historic standpoint, letting Scott and George talk about what makes their respective organizations different and unique. Without that, you just don't have a clue about the stakes.

Also, personally, the fact that they are clearly ignoring ALL of the other corps is really sad to me. I saw a Bluecoats T shirt on a MM last night...and that's literally all I have seen of DCI. There is just no context to this show right now.

• Like 1

if they DON'T get around to discussing the rest of the field, isn't it going to be a surprise when 'by the way, these corps we've discussing as the Main Players in the Field didn't win!' though the first hour is too soon to introduce the 'competitive rival,' I suppose. When did Coats pass the Devils in scoring the first time this year? E4 may be a good place for 'hey we lost, we're so used to winning this is awful!'

I'm beginning to wonder if they will even mention Bluecoats or Crown.

But the much bigger issue is whether they are going to show performances at all. If they couldn't get sync rights for performance, HUGE FAIL.

Well to be fair perhaps they have not yet had permission to mention other corps. was it a full hour long or is it the same as the 23 minute preview I saw Tuesday night?

if they DON'T get around to discussing the rest of the field, isn't it going to be a surprise when 'by the way, these corps we've discussing as the Main Players in the Field didn't win!' though the first hour is too soon to introduce the 'competitive rival,' I suppose. When did Coats pass the Devils in scoring the first time this year? E4 may be a good place for 'hey we lost, we're so used to winning this is awful!'

I think we'll find out how the other corps are going to be dealt with when we get to the first competitions. But, did anyone hear ANY stories of the film crew getting up close to the Bluecoats or Crown? I didn't.

Well to be fair perhaps they have not yet had permission to mention other corps. was it a full hour long or is it the same as the 23 minute preview I saw Tuesday night?

They don't need permission to mention other corps. They might need permission to SHOW other corps. But I think I've read that all members of DCI signed a release before the season began.

Show before San Antonio I believe.

It was my understanding that there are 8 episodes, each a half hour long (20 minutes of show). Last night we saw the first two episodes back to back. That leaves only 6 episodes to go...or a total of 2 more hours of show time. Can't expect too much "in-depth" coverage of the entire activity or with showing of performances with that time limitation.

Have to wonder...was the "drama" with the guard captain.......created?

i concur. its like the very first Real World. Here's little bits bout the house, and the area, and little by little they introduce characters and a little background.

I admit I haven't seen it yet - it's on DVR - busy week. But without watching a single bit of footage, without my own little criticisms of how they did or didn't include this or that, I want to say, unequivocally, that this exposure HAS TO BE GOOD for the activity. Huge positive.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 5