"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

Does anyone know a way to watch this show in the Netherlands? It's not available in the dutch iTunes store. Just like the Fuse and Hulu apps, they aren't available too.
I know that there are a lot of drum corps people here in Europe who wants to see Clash of the Corps.

GH has episode 2 on his Facebook page. Thank you! Mariah was prom queen, Victor came back, and I remember Marshall and his mom from C2. Made me sad to think of her passing. And the snare kid in BD said you're done in the activity at 22. True for DCI but there's still DCA.

True, there is DCA, but for DCI MM going back to their home areas, in many parts of the country it isn't really an option.

• Like 1

Does anyone know a way to watch this show in the Netherlands? It's not available in the dutch iTunes store. Just like the Fuse and Hulu apps, they aren't available too.

I know that there are a lot of drum corps people here in Europe who wants to see Clash of the Corps.

Can you watch Fuse and/or Hulu on a PC browser, as opposed to downloading an app. That is what I just did.

BTW...Fuse has a lot of extras on their website that are also fun to see.

• Like 1

It seems that most of the negative analysis in this thread gets a response of "be patient" or "this is just the first two episodes."

With that in mind, there are six episodes left with about 20 minutes of non-commercial time each. This means we have about 2 hours real programming left. So if the negative nellies are patient they will get deeper character development and storylines, a more thorough context and explanation of drum corps and DCI and the technical aspects of the activity. All while still having to follow the development of the competitive season.

In 2 hours.

Sure.

Both episodes are on George Hopkins Facebook page. You can watch them there. I even zapped them up to my big screen.
  • Like 1

A lot of what you post is laughable

The CG captain - there's a lot of context. They inferred some of it. Some of it is understandably private. That's why they "walked out and came back" -- CONTEXT that you're unaware of

Cadets actually have 22 titles. BD has an amazing 17 during the DCI era. Cadets are one of the historically most efficient and best designed corps there is. You seem to base all your statements on the past 7 years or so. No other organization come competitively close to these 2. That's why they are featured. Cavaliers come close - and folks here were writing them off last year.

Coats/Crownies folks seem to want to view the entire activity withing the prism of a few years. It's important to remember, as great as they currently are, they have one title each. They may win others, they may not. But putting them in the league of BD/Cadets or even Cavaliers/SCV/Regiment/etc is really ridiculous

MANY of the brass rehearsal strategies and methods came out of BD. Modern visual ensemble rehearsal and design almost completely came out of Cadets. Cadets/BD marching and teaching alumns dominate the rest of the activity - and the band activity - to a ridiculous %. Modern arrangement came out of Cadets/BD & SCV. Drill design dominated by Cades/BD/Cavaliers

Hopkins has played an extremely vital and central role in much of this. The man is a lot of things, but he isn't just blindly throwing darts at a board. You should hardly decide "who to work for" based on 39 minutes of a reality show. IMO

The show was quite entertaining I thought. Can't we all just enjoy the ride?

George, I wouldn't disagree with almost anything you post about Cadets or George H.

As far as the CG incident, I assumed there was more there than what was shown. Wasn't assuming otherwise.

I'm not going to get into a discussion of GH. It's the offseason, and 2016 is behind us. There really isn't anything to unearth that we haven't discussed ad nauseum previously. I watched the show, I watched the 2016 season, I understand what I am looking at.

Cadets has a history that stretches well beyond the birth date of anyone marching in Cadets today. They are, in my opinion anyway, probably more seminal to the development of drum corps than any other corps. Including BD.

But I think we can all agree that things have changed dramatically since Cadets stormed onto the scene, and most notably "in the last seven years." Already we have seen George struggle in the first two episodes with how to adjust to a more dramatic style of production, versus the old school Cadets/Cavaliers style of marching faster and playing louder. This is not news to you, me, or anyone else on this forum. There are a lot of very smart, very experienced staffers in Allentown who can size things up quickly and shift focus. Obviously 2016 became the stage where we saw just how difficult that will be—but Cadets will adjust, I have no doubt.

I loved watching the show, and I am sure I will love watching the rest of it. I am "enjoying the ride."

It seems that most of the negative analysis in this thread gets a response of "be patient" or "this is just the first two episodes."

With that in mind, there are six episodes left with about 20 minutes of non-commercial time each. This means we have about 2 hours real programming left. So if the negative nellies are patient they will get deeper character development and storylines, a more thorough context and explanation of drum corps and DCI and the technical aspects of the activity. All while still having to follow the development of the competitive season.

In 2 hours.

Sure.

I watched a couple of the outtakes on other sites last night. They were excellent, very powerful, very revealing—especially the one about the girls trying to work enough to raise funds.

But I realized after watching these outtakes that I like the documentary style of filming (which is the style of the outtakes), rather than the direction the show is taking. That's just me, obviously—nothing wrong with that. They went to a more fast-cut, energy and excitement theme of editing rather than a slower focus on interaction between characters. Perhaps that changes as the season evolves.

Even compared to other super successful docu-dramas, the style of the editing for Clash is very different. Many more edits, a lot more "shaky cam" and quick rack focus shots. Compare this to Orange County Choppers, Deadliest Catch, Fast and Loud and even Undercover Boss. I bet there are three times as many edits in COTC than any of those series.

It could be that they believe the younger market will like this style of editing.

But it also may be because they really were not prepared for the challenge of a 100 yard football field. It takes time to adjust to the scale and speed of drum corps, and it appears as though they had to edit the first two episodes together with whatever stuff they got—therefore, a lot more very short shots, a lot more random than you (or they) might have wanted, and a lot more disjointed at this stage of the season.

I know from shooting college football that it takes time to adjust to "how" to shoot on a stage that large with that many people running around. It took me a full football season to begin to get it. You waste so many shots shooting on a football field. You have to figure out how to pick out things to shoot before they happen, and you have to know the game well enough to anticipate where the action will take place. Otherwise you are out of focus and two seconds late.

I have a close friend who shot the Nashville show for (I believe) Marching Magazine. He had never seen the BC show before that night, and I warned him to watch it online before shooting it, because there was no way he would catch the moments he would want to catch if he couldn't anticipate the staging. Afterwards, he told me that watching it beforehand was the only reason he got anything of note for Bluecoats. If this is the first time this crew has shot drum corps, I can tell you, it is head spinning.

If you haven't watched the outtakes, I really encourage you to do so. Very well done, very revealing and meaningful.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

Can you watch Fuse and/or Hulu on a PC browser, as opposed to downloading an app. That is what I just did.

BTW...Fuse has a lot of extras on their website that are also fun to see.

I personally thought the extras were better than a lot of the show itself. Again, JMHO. It speaks to what they decided to focus on in the show, as opposed to the out takes. The girls talking about the struggle to raise funds was heart wrenchingly real and powerful. The fact that the BD instructors paid for some of the color guards' fees was powerful to say the least. It made me really proud of the activity as a whole, and I know that for many of you this is the reality we don't see as outsiders. I understand better why criticisms sting a little more for those who went through that experience.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

Only saw that first bit on the DCI website and thought it was pretty good as far as what it’s set up to be, a reality show based around drum corps. The Blue Devils may have done a better job casting their members with more sympathetic back stories so my impression is they will come off looking better. Yet, they still have the BD attitude from the staff on down that rubs me the wrong way but may appeal to others. In fact, almost everyone annoyed which makes for good reality TV.

Do Blue Devils have a stake in it? I noticed some Blue 44 logo somewhere.

I’ll probably wait until the entire show is done before I sign up for the free Hulu smaple, that way I can see it all

• Like 1