"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

Except it doesn't appear to be appealing to a "wider audience" at all.

I feel the target audience should have been high school band members, parents, and...drum corps fans. 20,000+ high school bands in the United States. That equals a LOT of kids and parents.

If their goal was to attract a wider audience (those who DON'T know about the activity) why was 99% of their promotion of the show done at DCI shows?

Except it doesn't appear to be appealing to a "wider audience" at all.

I feel the target audience should have been high school band members, parents, and...drum corps fans. 20,000+ high school bands in the United States. That equals a LOT of kids and parents.

If their goal was to attract a wider audience (those who DON'T know about the activity) why was 99% of their promotion of the show done at DCI shows?

How much of a marketing budget would you need to reach 20,000 high school kids?

We can't say to what degree the audience during the first week were drum corps fans, high school band fans, parents, college band fans, vs. people who are totally unfamiliar with any marching activity. All we know (so far) is that the ratings dropped a lot in week 2.

I would say that most people know what a marching band is even if they never marched in one.

I'm waiting to see what the "3 day" ratings look like. It's possible it doesn't look so bad.

I only saw 2 episodes. I liked it. not as good as BD360 but I am glad it's out there the way it is so far.

as for drumline battle between Cadets and BD that I would like to see! I am not sure but I don't think Cadets are allowed to do those kind of extra curricular things. I know Scojo would be down for it though. He really does have a great on camera persona.

Watched the first 3 episodes of "Clash of the Corps" last night and I actually enjoyed it. Knowing this show was being produced for a general audience, I wasn't expecting the kind of drum corps minutae that most of us are used to when discussing the activity. It's basically a show that attempts to depict young people in the midst of a competitive, physical and musical activity, with all the daily dramas, life lessons, letting off steam etc. that comes with being a young person. It's less a DCI broadcast than "The Real World" with horns, flags and drums. Here are some of my impressions:

* The "clash" in "Clash of the Corps" isn't so much about the head-to-head competition between BD and Cadets but a clash in their styles. BD is portrayed as this powerhouse, reigning champion unit while Cadets are shown as the headier corps that's struggling to find its "voice" on the field with lots of anxiety and handwringing - at least in the first few episodes.

* That BD lead trumpter, Javier Astorga, is a beast!

* The BD snare with scoliosis was fun to watch as well. He reminds me of the shy, younger guy I once was when I started marching corps - and yeah, that guy can play.

* The camera likes to accent the shirtless and physical - there's definitely a "skin to win" element being used to keep attention.

* The Cadets' color guard caption head reminds me of the instructors I didn't like during my marching years - I think she's being positioned as one of the show's "bad guys."

* The scene of Cadets members giggling outside a door where two other members are presumably getting busy (bed squeaks and all) - someone's got some 'splaining to do! ;)

* Overall, I was impressed by the talent and passion of all the young marching members. Hopkins seemed like a terminal downer ... but I feel vested enough in these young peoples' stories and the activity itself that I will continue to follow the season. Even if it's the only season ever, I think "Clash of the Corps" is good for the activity ... cheers!

• Like 1

Watched the first 3 episodes of "Clash of the Corps" last night and I actually enjoyed it. Knowing this show was being produced for a general audience, I wasn't expecting the kind of drum corps minutae that most of us are used to when discussing the activity. It's basically a show that attempts to depict young people in the midst of a competitive, physical and musical activity, with all the daily dramas, life lessons, letting off steam etc. that comes with being a young person. It's less a DCI broadcast than "The Real World" with horns, flags and drums. Here are some of my impressions:

* The "clash" in "Clash of the Corps" isn't so much about the head-to-head competition between BD and Cadets but a clash in their styles. BD is portrayed as this powerhouse, reigning champion unit while Cadets are shown as the headier corps that's struggling to find its "voice" on the field with lots of anxiety and handwringing - at least in the first few episodes.

* That BD lead trumpter, Javier Astorga, is a beast!

* The BD snare with scoliosis was fun to watch as well. He reminds me of the shy, younger guy I once was when I started marching corps - and yeah, that guy can play.

* The camera likes to accent the shirtless and physical - there's definitely a "skin to win" element being used to keep attention.

* The Cadets' color guard caption head reminds me of the instructors I didn't like during my marching years - I think she's being positioned as one of the show's "bad guys."

* The scene of Cadets members giggling outside a door where two other members are presumably getting busy (bed squeaks and all) - someone's got some 'splaining to do! ;)

* Overall, I was impressed by the talent and passion of all the young marching members. Hopkins seemed like a terminal downer ... but I feel vested enough in these young peoples' stories and the activity itself that I will continue to follow the season. Even if it's the only season ever, I think "Clash of the Corps" is good for the activity ... cheers!

I didn't know what was going on behind that door. ..now I'm going to have to watch again. Oh my.

I am still not finding an Episode 3. Not on iTunes and not on FuseTV. Am I messing up somehow or is everyone else using an app of Hulu?