"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

I am still not finding an Episode 3. Not on iTunes and not on FuseTV. Am I messing up somehow or is everyone else using an app of Hulu?

It's available on the Fuse app, and on Comcast OnDemand, but for some reason has not been made available on the FuseTV website yet.

I'm a little surprised they haven't talked about kids switching corps - especially switching from The Cadets to BD (as in the case of at least one BDCG members they have been featuring).

Watched the first 3 episodes of "Clash of the Corps" last night and I actually enjoyed it. Knowing this show was being produced for a general audience, I wasn't expecting the kind of drum corps minutae that most of us are used to when discussing the activity. It's basically a show that attempts to depict young people in the midst of a competitive, physical and musical activity, with all the daily dramas, life lessons, letting off steam etc. that comes with being a young person. It's less a DCI broadcast than "The Real World" with horns, flags and drums. Here are some of my impressions:

* The "clash" in "Clash of the Corps" isn't so much about the head-to-head competition between BD and Cadets but a clash in their styles. BD is portrayed as this powerhouse, reigning champion unit while Cadets are shown as the headier corps that's struggling to find its "voice" on the field with lots of anxiety and handwringing - at least in the first few episodes.

* That BD lead trumpter, Javier Astorga, is a beast!

* The BD snare with scoliosis was fun to watch as well. He reminds me of the shy, younger guy I once was when I started marching corps - and yeah, that guy can play.

* The camera likes to accent the shirtless and physical - there's definitely a "skin to win" element being used to keep attention.

* The Cadets' color guard caption head reminds me of the instructors I didn't like during my marching years - I think she's being positioned as one of the show's "bad guys."

* The scene of Cadets members giggling outside a door where two other members are presumably getting busy (bed squeaks and all) - someone's got some 'splaining to do! ;)

I once asked a friend of mine who was a Crown DM a few years ago what could get someone kicked out of a corps and thought he said hooking up and drugs.

* Overall, I was impressed by the talent and passion of all the young marching members. Hopkins seemed like a terminal downer ... but I feel vested enough in these young peoples' stories and the activity itself that I will continue to follow the season. Even if it's the only season ever, I think "Clash of the Corps" is good for the activity ... cheers!

I'm a little surprised they haven't talked about kids switching corps - especially switching from The Cadets to BD (as in the case of at least one BDCG members they have been featuring).

I think that may be something else that only we diehards would be interested in hearing about. It seems as if their reach is much broader than us. Edited by Terri Schehr

Releases for people appearing on screen in the background were handled post-tour, as far as I can tell, and I don't know that the production company sought out people who were no longer with the corps (including kids at audition camps that didn't make it). If they didn't get a release for a face, it got blurred.

Edited by Eleran

I agree, seems like an obvious way to add another level to the "clash."

I wonder if they would be outraged by the fact there are no transfer policies. :huh2:

What! No likes? C'mon, that's funny - don't you think? A little poke at Brasso - he's probably chuckling...

Edited by c mor