"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

Ratings update on Episode 2:

Live + 3 Day ratings indicate a drop from Episode 1, but not as steep as the "same day" ratings. It's about a 24% drop right now for the key demos.

The audience appears to be a little younger, on average, indicative that older demos dropped off more than younger ones.

The show is looking like it's near the top, if not the top, show on the network.

• Like 2

Ratings update on Episode 2:

Live + 3 Day ratings indicate a drop from Episode 1, but not as steep as the "same day" ratings. It's about a 24% drop right now for the key demos.

The audience appears to be a little younger, on average, indicative that older demos dropped off more than younger ones.

The show is looking like it's near the top, if not the top, show on the network.

Thanks, barigirl78. Appreciate your insights!

• Like 1

And for those wondering about the lack of advertising at DCI events over the summer, I really imagine that was more to do with not having promotional materials ready yet.

This past Saturday, at MetLife Stadium, 62 high school bands where in competition at a USBands event, and video clips were running all day on the jumbotron between bands; marquee advertising pylons out in the warmup lots and staging areas had CotC ads in rotation; larger-than-life posters everywhere. I presume the same will be the case at the various USBands State and National championship competitions in the coming weeks.

Whether or not that's occurring in other circuits, I can't say.

• Like 1

Barigirl78...Just getting caught up from a few very nice days in SoCal being (and shooting) with my friends...

From a quick-glance of your posts: viewership is down among the older demo? I wonder if, like me, they DVR'd it to watch later.

Could this explain the decline?

Also, could an increase in younger viewership over-weight the drop in older viewers? The younger generation is what's important (The truth, Dino. Get used to it.). So could a decline in older caused as much by an increase in band kids watching?

And for those wondering about the lack of advertising at DCI events over the summer, I really imagine that was more to do with not having promotional materials ready yet.

There's no doubt that's true, and it's a good reason to renew for Season 2. With footage to show, and an idea of what "good drum corps content" is, they could really blow out a second season. I am sure they wish they had chosen Bluecoats as one of the corps, but of course hindsight is 20/20. For a second season, I would think they would have learned their lesson and not signed contracts without knowing the landscape a little better. (Not that the Coats team would have told them anything anyway!)

Again, kudos to the Cadets and BD video teams as well.

Barigirl78...Just getting caught up from a few very nice days in SoCal being (and shooting) with my friends...

From a quick-glance of your posts: viewership is down among the older demo? I wonder if, like me, they DVR'd it to watch later.

Could this explain the decline?

Also, could an increase in younger viewership over-weight the drop in older viewers? The younger generation is what's important (The truth, Dino. Get used to it.). So could a decline in older caused as much by an increase in band kids watching?

There's a lot more to be analyzed. We won't have Live + 7 Days for a while. I'm also not aggregating all the repeat telecasts the network is running.

When I said, the ages dropped, I was referring to the median age. As you might recall, the first episode had a median age of 47. The second episode had a median age of 40. The demo that seems to have held okay was Age 18-34. Older ages dropped.

The Age 15-24 demo--older teens and college-aged--went down between Weeks 1 and 2. It's not a big percentage of who is watching--on Fuse at least. They could be watching other ways.

The demo that seems to have held was Age 18-34.

Brief review of last night's episode:

I thought there was huge lost opportunity by not showing the score announcements at the Indianapolis show. The quick flash of the positions just didn't cut it dramatically.

Good to see that Santa Clara got a brief shot. Bad to not see even a snippet of the two corps that beat Cadets.

I'm staying up to 11:30 pm, so I obviously like the show enough to watch up.

But, I was extremely disappointed that they built up to the first Cadets competition at Indy, then built up to the opening moment of the Cadets show ... then dubbed over it with some lame generic brass notes that were never played by the Cadets!

That first moment never failed to bring gasps from members of the audience, and the notes are from Mackey's Turning, for which the show apparently DID procure the necessary licensing. So ... WHY?!?!?!??

The one thing that is killing this show is the 22 minute format. It's beyond difficult to tell a concise story in just 22 minutes.

Brief review of last night's episode:

I thought there was huge lost opportunity by not showing the score announcements at the Indianapolis show. The quick flash of the positions just didn't cut it dramatically.

Good to see that Santa Clara got a brief shot. Bad to not see even a snippet of the two corps that beat Cadets.