"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

I caught up on the latest episode over the weekend. Maybe it's because I'm intrigued by seeing what was going on with the Cadets, I liked it.

The Blue Devils stuff is pretty boring, though. There's not much drama in people getting sick and they don't seem too concerned about the competition from Bluecoats. So, when the inevitable happens and they don't win, will it even be dramatic?

Yeah—weirdly, it makes me respect the corps so much more for how focused they are on just doing well and getting better. But it doesn't exactly make for good television.

OTOH: the best thing you could say for BD is a boring championship episode, where getting second doesn't break their stride at all because they know they did their best. Again, not great TV, but what an organization.

• Like 1

Speaking as a dinosaur (marched in the 80's), I think they could do a better job of telling the complete story of marching in drum corps, BUT, I still enjoy watching this series. Sickness and injuries are a big part of drum corps and seeing how marching members deal can be inspiring. I see so many of today's activities, both musical and sports, where kids just give up and sit out. These marching members are the cream of the crop and demonstrate perseverance.

There is only so much that can be shown on 8 half hour episodes. I do find it kind of funny that on the Cadets side, it really focuses on George Hopkins and the guard caption head Kristy Templin. I guess with all the issues with their show, it's kind of interesting to hear staff's point of view, but we see a lot of George and Kristy.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I marched when you did and agree BUT to appeal to viewers other than DCI people, the episodes are presented as a behind the scenes focusing on the stuff most don't see (whether that's super BD members or how a super Cadets corps reacts to a very difficult season). Yes, George and Kristy are truly "characters" so understandably we are seeing lots of them 😳

I marched when you did and agree BUT to appeal to viewers other than DCI people, the episodes are presented as a behind the scenes focusing on the stuff most don't see (whether that's super BD members or how a super Cadets corps reacts to a very difficult season). Yes, George and Kristy are truly "characters" so understandably we are seeing lots of them

George and Kristy are far more interesting than the members. I don't know if the members were afraid to express their true opinions/feelings on camera or if they don't have any opinions about what's happening. But, at least George and Kristy are expressing them.*

I don't know if things changed since I marched, but we always had vocal opinions about what was happening to the corps.

* I haven't seen this week's episode yet. So, if this has changed, I'll update later.

George and Kristy are far more interesting than the members. I don't know if the members were afraid to express their true opinions/feelings on camera or if they don't have any opinions about what's happening. But, at least George and Kristy are expressing them.*

I don't know if things changed since I marched, but we always had vocal opinions about what was happening to the corps.

* I haven't seen this week's episode yet. So, if this has changed, I'll update later.

I think the kids bought into the possibility that anything can happen and hard work and (rewrites) can possibility turn a ship around. The enthusiasm of youth. It didn't but the kids stayed positive and worked their butts off like Cadets. G&K on the other hand, full blown adults with all their baggage. Fun to watch. Glad Tom is back. A hard ### for sure but will not hold back screaming at GH if need be. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

I was surprised that the two snares in Blue Devils shared a water bottle.

During the same segment, did I see a BD drummer wearing CROWN shorts?

• Like 1

We were very vocal, too. I'm not sure if they're as outspoken as we were.

i didn't see that. I guess my rampant paranoia about norovirus raging through these corps raised my radar with the shared water bottle.

He's standing directly behind the young snare drummer (Brandon) and is wearing dark green shorts with CROWN spelled down the left leg and a small logo at the bottom.

I know some Corps allow HS, College, and WGI apparel, but the competition???

Edit: Corrected snare drummer name.

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 1

I'm not sure this has been mentioned before, but if you have the Amazon Fire TV hardware, you can watch all 6 episodes for $2.99 each HD or $1.99 SD. It looks like you can also purchase from the Amazon website, but I think you have to view it on a PC/Mac (I.e., not a mobile device).

Fire TV also mentions watching with Hulu and a 1 week free trial. Might be a better option after all the episodes are available.

Sorry if this is a repeat.

• Like 1