"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

Excellent explanation. Thanks.

I understand from Johnson's FB page that tomorrow (Tuesday) he's going to have a free streaming of the show on his FB page. Will that count as viewership even though it's not on the FUSE page?

And I wonder about the rest of the series. If the first show is not watched widely, is there a risk that the other 7 shows in the series could be cancelled?

Based on your explanation, if it's widely viewed and measured as a success, it's feasible that Johnson could attempt to sell it to a different network next year? Perhaps something more widely watched?

Thanks a bunch. It's obvious that drum corps fans have the opportunity to make up for the follies that got drum corps cancelled from PBS by promoting and watching the series over the next 8 weeks. I know my family is promoting the crap out of it (kids in school and all of us on FB) and I hope other fans are doing so as well.

This is an admittedly small trampoline, but it might be just the jump-start that DC could use to someday compete with Punkin' Chunkin' or the cheerleading championships.

I'll answer the Facebook showing question when I see if it will have any ads in it. But, if a lot of people watch his feed, it certainly would hint at interest. Offering a preview like this is akin to when networks show pilots at TV festivals and Comic Cons. The hope is that those who watch will spread buzz that will help others discover the show.

Fuse's biggest challenge, IMO, is getting people to know it (Fuse) exists and what programming it has. Thus, the Facebook teaser is a great idea.

It won't get canceled. No matter how low-rated, they would find a time period to run off the episodes.

I am not privy to the contracts in regards to the show, but I suspect ther is a "first right of refusal" on Fuse's part. Most of the times when TV shows move networks, it's downward and not upward because the show may not be considered a success by a larger network, but a smaller network would be fine with it. (Example: Supergirl moving from CBS to CW). I can't think of a single example of a show moving to a bigger network without the original network retaining rights. I remember Monk, a USA Network show, showing their repeats on ABC in the summer, but USA still ran the originals.

Edited by barigirl78

Excellent explanation. Thanks.

I understand from Johnson's FB page that tomorrow (Tuesday) he's going to have a free streaming of the show on his FB page. Will that count as viewership even though it's not on the FUSE page?

And I wonder about the rest of the series. If the first show is not watched widely, is there a risk that the other 7 shows in the series could be cancelled?

Based on your explanation, if it's widely viewed and measured as a success, it's feasible that Johnson could attempt to sell it to a different network next year? Perhaps something more widely watched?

Thanks a bunch. It's obvious that drum corps fans have the opportunity to make up for the follies that got drum corps cancelled from PBS by promoting and watching the series over the next 8 weeks. I know my family is promoting the crap out of it (kids in school and all of us on FB) and I hope other fans are doing so as well.

This is an admittedly small trampoline, but it might be just the jump-start that DC could use to someday compete with Punkin' Chunkin' or the cheerleading championships.

There is a chance the season could be cancelled at any time, but it would be highly unlikely given that near 100% of the costs to produce the show have already been incurred.

Not sure what their Fuse contact calls for but usually the network gets the right of first refusal on future seasons.

As far as Johnson's Facebook page, the numbers are quickly skewing to online viewing anyway. I don't really know how Fuse works, but most networks now openly promote online viewing options. And the younger the audience (and obviously this will be a relatively young audience) the more likely they are to watch on YouTube or another portal. Any network today knows that you cannot just look at pure broadcast numbers.

There is a chance the season could be cancelled at any time, but it would be highly unlikely given that near 100% of the costs to produce the show have already been incurred.

Not sure what their Fuse contact calls for but usually the network gets the right of first refusal on future seasons.

As far as Johnson's Facebook page, the numbers are quickly skewing to online viewing anyway. I don't really know how Fuse works, but most networks now openly promote online viewing options. And the younger the audience (and obviously this will be a relatively young audience) the more likely they are to watch on YouTube or another portal. Any network today knows that you cannot just look at pure broadcast numbers.

Anything they sell ads in and can generate revenue for them is fine. The networks like VOD, in particular, because fast forward is disabled,

I am not privy to the contracts in regards to the show, but I suspect ther is a "first right of refusal" on Fuse's part. Most of the times when TV shows move networks, it's downward and not upward because the show may not be considered a success by a larger network, but a smaller network would be fine with it. (Example: Supergirl moving from CBS to CW). I can't think of a single example of a show moving to a bigger network without the original network retaining rights. I remember Monk, a USA Network show, showing their repeats on ABC in the summer, but USA still ran the originals.

Moving up can happen, though, if Fuse would accept compensation by the new network. That does happen in the entertainment business everywhere. The previous label/film company/distribution system accepts a development fee—or gets a percentage of the future take. They could make more money by simply being a silent partner.

The most likely scenario would be that Johnson sees the inherent limitation of picking two corps based on past history and believes three or four would be much more compelling. Fuse might not have the money to fund that, given their small audience size, but would gladly step aside for, say, Bravo or Fox buying Season 2 if they got a payout for essentially signing a transfer agreement.

Edited by MikeRapp

Moving up can happen, though, if Fuse would accept compensation by the new network. That does happen in the entertainment business everywhere. The previous label/film company/distribution system accepts a development fee—or gets a percentage of the future take. They could make more money by simply being a silent partner.

The most likely scenario would be that Johnson sees the inherent limitation of picking two corps based on past history and believes three or four would be much more compelling. Fuse might not have the money to fund that, given their small audience size, but would gladly step aside for, say, Bravo or Fox buying Season 2 if they got a payout for essentially signing a transfer agreement.

So, if I understand you, if Johnson decided to include four corps (for example) and Fuse couldn't afford the cost of production, Johnson could take it to another network but would still have to pay Fuse? Huh? Why would they have to pay Fuse?

Do you have an example of this every happening in television? I just can't think of one. Maybe you have a better memory.

Even if the contracts allow it, the hurdle would be convincing the larger network that the tiny show from the tiny network would perform even better on their network. That's hard to do.

Do you have an example of this every happening in television? I just can't think of one. Maybe you have a better memory.

Even if the contracts allow it, the hurdle would be convincing the larger network that the tiny show from the tiny network would perform even better on their network. That's hard to do.

Devil's advocate: If it were a blowout viewership this season, really crushing numbers, would a larger network be interested in the potential even if they had to pay Fuse to take it over (according to MikeRapp)?

I still don't get why a bigger network would have to pay Fuse if Fuse couldn't handle the bigger production. I'm hoping someone will explain.

So, if I understand you, if Johnson decided to include four corps (for example) and Fuse couldn't afford the cost of production, Johnson could take it to another network but would still have to pay Fuse? Huh? Why would they have to pay Fuse?

It is common for a network to have right of first refusal on future seasons and episodes. Often, what happens is that the producer/artist pays off the contract with advance money from the new distributor.

It is very common in Hollywood for contracts to get bought and sold between distribution companies. Maybe fuse would want to hold onto it if it was a success...I just don't know the contractual arrangement and who actually signed. Did DCI sign, or did BD and Cadets sign? For what term did they sign for? I'd be shocked if it was for more than this season.

Edited by MikeRapp