Underrated Shows?

A couple that come to mind:

1999 Glassmen "Empire of Gold" (I think?)

I thought that show was generally considered their best effort, or at least one of them. Love that show! I suppose one doesn't hear about it too much though...

Super innovative, and very well-received. 96 was the year where it really felt like SCV was back, and then we all know what happened from 97-99.

I think (hope) what we're about to see from SCV is going to mirror the precipitous climb they made from 96-99.

I think you're unfairly maligning 1995 by not including it in your assessment, but fair enough.

I thought that show was generally considered their best effort, or at least one of them. Love that show! I suppose one doesn't hear about it too much though...

I think you're unfairly maligning 1995 by not including it in your assessment, but fair enough.

yeah, i think 95 could be argued to be as important to the climb as 96.

What in the world is up with this thread???

This has to be very close to the craziest, most nonsensical discussion I've witnessed on DCP (ok, perhaps discounting some of the staff threads and various trollings...); actually it would be hilarious if some of this thread actually *was* a troll... anyways, back to the task at hand:

Regiment 2003 cannot, at any point, be considered underrated. Did you mean "underscored"? Because I'd be with you there.

To repeat what others have said: Shows that *can not* be considered "underrated" in any shape or form include things like:

1995 Scouts

1993 Regiment

2000 Cadets

1999 SCV

2002 Cavies

2012 BD

...etc

Are folks simply thinking of shows that they somehow managed to overlook because it took them awhile to get to certain years? I'd understand that, if I had to name shows in the 70s that were "underrated" I would mostly be guessing since there are quite a few I haven't seen... still.

This thread is the first time I've seen Madison 1995 put in the same boat as those other shows.

Some semantics at confusing play here. Just watched Madison '95, and it didn't seem like anyone seeing it live "underrated" it at all. (Here is the Michael Boo "Spotlight" feature from 2013.)

But hey, the thread lists are still cool to read. Some great shows to go back to.

This thread is the first time I've seen Madison 1995 put in the same boat as those other shows.

Fair point. I didn't mean to say that those shows are equatable to each other in terms of execution, or writing, or even performance, per se. I meant that for each corps listed they represent shows that were/are consistently well-regarded by lots of people. I.e. not underrated as such.

Some semantics at confusing play here.

But hey, the thread lists are still cool to read. Some great shows to go back to.

I suppose one might make a case that a few of the shows mentioned thus far were "underrated by the judges," but wouldn't that mean "underscored?" I feel like that must be the semantic confusion...

Agreed that this thread has produced some lovely shows to watch...

Too many to name them all. LOL. Some that come to mind:

1978 Bridgemen. To date, their "Ritual Fire Dance/Sabre Dance" opener is one of the best opening tunes I've ever heard on a drum corps field.

1980 Phantom Regiment. The music selections didn't quite hang together as well as other PR shows, but still a very cool show... some great work by their French horn line, and that huge power push in the "Carmen" finale...wow. Also, their marching execution at Finals was absolutely stellar.

2006 Carolina Crown, "In-Trance-It." I didn't recognize a note of their repertoire, but for whatever reason Crown's show really grabbed me. And their horn line was terrific... the foundation was in place for the great Crown lines that followed.

The next two I've mentioned before in other threads...

2006 Boston Crusaders, "Cathedrals Of The Mind." Nothing fancy, just a good, easy-to-follow show... and cool use of the "cathedral column" props to tie the whole show together.

2014 Blue Stars, "Where The Heart Is." Fun, fun, fun throughout. And a fantastic color guard that really helped sell the "build a home" theme.

This is a fascinating topic because it means different things to different people.

1996 SCV

1995 Cadets - although not really underrated most don't talk about it because of the wild BD show and the majestic Cavies show from the same year. Couple that with Madison (one of my fav they have ever done) and it is kind of an ill forgotten treasure. Visually it was a great show.

Probably because I was just listening to it, but Phantom Regiment 1993 comes to mind. It gets a little lost in the conversation after Star and Cadets, but man that is a beautiful show.

A great brass book. I like their 2003 book even better. Too bad they over-played it on finals night. They had a fabulous brass line in 2003 that would have won high brass had they just played the way they did all summer.

This is a fascinating topic because it means different things to different people.

1996 SCV

1995 Cadets - although not really underrated most don't talk about it because of the wild BD show and the majestic Cavies show from the same year. Couple that with Madison (one of my fav they have ever done) and it is kind of an ill forgotten treasure. Visually it was a great show.

1995 in general was a great drum corps summer. Lots of energy! Bluecoats did an amazing patriotic show, as did the Cadets in one of the best patriotic shows ever. BD was masterful and dark. Cavaliers were cutting-edge in visual and effect. Madison was simply AWESOME!!! I think they received 6 standing ovations throughout their show. It was a rock concert. If you were in the stadium you know. Crossmen were wonderful, and so were many others.