Underrated Shows?

21 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

My high school director marched in that show (look for the really tall mellophone player lol). It really does have its beautiful moments in the show!

If the visual side of that show matched the musical side of that show I have a feeling I wouldn't have to mention it in the underrated shows thread.  

• Like 1

On 10/7/2016 at 6:33 PM, ieuph7 said:

It's true, one doesn't hear about this show often enough, and it's a great one.

Thanks for the love. :-) Humbled to be mentioned in the same breath as 1993, one of the best Regiment books/designs ever. Finals week was kindof rough on all of us (IMO); we came into it (or maybe 2 weeks out from finals, can't remember) with brass in 1st and dropped points every single night... it was frustrating to say the least. Not really sure what happened finals night with the "dialing it in," the Buicks had a great run (minus one crazy tick, a story for another time) but perhaps overhype/etc hurt us a bit, especially in some other sections?

Agree on both accounts. Love those Gmen gold years.

I agree wholeheartedly on your choice. 2002 was a fantastic year, and you almost never hear about it. It was JD's first year as Brass Caption head, and a fantastic book. Visually pretty messed up, but lovely brass. Thanks for the love.

Video taped some of your hornline warmup in Allentown in 2003 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN55wZY36cc.....you folks were awesome!! 

Edited by Triple Forte

9 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I totally forgot about 2008 Boston Crusaders show.  Really fun.  

My (adult) son and I were at finals in 2008. Boston was his second favorite show behind Phantom. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My (adult) son and I were at finals in 2008. Boston was his second favorite show behind Phantom. 

They had a really cool instrument in their front ensemble that was plastic and changed pitches when another player extended the pipe length.  Drum feature and closer are top notch stuff.   

Teal Sounds 2010 Dream Theater show is AWESOME.  Really fantastic show to listen to, glad I have the audio from that season.  This is about the best I can find on youtube, 5:17 to the end is great.  Really fantastic hornline for where they placed that year.    

Looking back at what they were doing they really seemed ahead of the curve on some of the instrumentation they used in the front ensemble and the type of music they would put on the field.  They're on I miss every day...... 

5 minutes ago, awertt said:

Not completely sure if everyone would agree that this is underrated, but everyone I've talked to never really talks about it.
Bluecoats 2015

The ballad was great, even after coming off of Tilt's popularity and success. 

Definitely not underrated...BUT I think it gets overshadowed by Tilt and Downside Up.  It is my favorite of the "new" Bloo.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, awertt said:

Not completely sure if everyone would agree that this is underrated, but everyone I've talked to never really talks about it.
Bluecoats 2015

The ballad was great, even after coming off of Tilt's popularity and success. 

It's easily the least talked about of the three but I think the most important and my personal favorite.  It's quickly ascending my all time favorites list and is near the top.  

It proved they were not a one hit wonder and continued to solidify their newfound style and approach to show design.  It proved they were competitive with the best of the best in the biggest caption, general effect where they won two of the content subcaptions as well as some percussion captions in finals week.  Their traditionally weaker captions (everything visual) climbed to a much higher level which was also very important.  It had all the indicators of a potential champion in the making.  After finals in 2015 I said they'd come in and win it all in 2016 and low and behold......

I finally got to be right about SOMETHING.  

But yeah, the build into the opening hit and the minute and a half before the ballad are some of my favorite minutes of drum corps ever.  I love the way they wove together minimalist type music into something catchy/groovy/and with tons of depth that in the hands of most would be pretty dang boring.  Thrower and Rarick are masters at their craft, the mash up of Shaker Loops and Electronic Counterpoint.....so so so good.  Seriously underappreciated color guard too IMO, I love the stuff with the metal sculptural stuff matching the shimmery exuberance of that opening hit emerging from all the noise and the work with those purple/red/yellow/orange silks before the ballad again is absolutely mesmerizing to my eye.  

That's going to be a show I will forever regret not seeing live along with Tilt.  I'm glad I finally got to see them live in 2016 after a few years and boy was it amazing......

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

2007 has a ton of fan favorites seemingly and other shows that are talked about in really high regard (The Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats) but honestly I think the whole lot is pretty amazing.  One of my favorite years.  

Blue Devils anniversary show has some absolutely beautiful moments, love the ending especially.  Very high octane and high energy show that I really don't have any issue with winning.

The Cavaliers Billy Joel show has another monster visual program but some really catchy musical moments as well.  

Santa Clara Vanguard is the biggie I think gets overshadowed.  That 4th - 7th grouping was ridiculously tight and this is the one of that grouping that seems to get the least mention.  Really quirky and fun music program and the drill by Pete Weber is easily some of his best, absolutely love that exclamation point that pops up out of nowhere in the middle of the show.  Lots of really cool geometric sequences in there.