Underrated Shows?

BD 95 still blows me away, in every way. wish i could've seen it at finals. 

i was at finals week in 98, and they really cooked at semis, but were a little flat at quarters and finals to me. the brass choir at the beginning of the show was pretty breathtaking,and it was a really fun arrangement overall. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Sticking with the Blue Devils theme:

The last minute.......####.  And the ballad is pretty fantastic too.  Well the whole show is but especially those two parts.  

Good god I'm not a drum guy at all but that drum book in the last minute with that drill... insane.

THE definitive version of Firebird

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm glad you brought that one up.  I listen to it all the time......totally agree with the comments that have been said about it.  I wish I coulda heard that opening brass ensemble live, cause it sounds like absolute heaven on the recordings.

I believe that show holds the highest third place score record at a 97.7.  

Saw them at Killeen, TX that year, along with the ensemble rehearsal they did in the stadium that afternoon.  At the time, I didn't care so much for the Romeo/Juliet parts, but since, man I love that show more and more.  It was a great balance between old and new BD.  And yes, that brass ensemble was as good live...  (And James Gulke conducted the encore practically standing on my lap.  Good grief, he was a rock star back then.  What happened to him since?)

Also got to see SCV at that show - I was left underwhelmed by their apparent stylistic veer into minimalist music.  Took me a long time to appreciate what they were doing.  (And of course, these days it's practically vanilla.)  I think that one's particularly underrated, as well.

Mike

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Saw them at Killeen, TX that year, along with the ensemble rehearsal they did in the stadium that afternoon.  At the time, I didn't care so much for the Romeo/Juliet parts, but since, man I love that show more and more.  It was a great balance between old and new BD.  And yes, that brass ensemble was as good live...  (And James Gulke conducted the encore practically standing on my lap.  Good grief, he was a rock star back then.  What happened to him since?)

Also got to see SCV at that show - I was left underwhelmed by their apparent stylistic veer into minimalist music.  Took me a long time to appreciate what they were doing.  (And of course, these days it's practically vanilla.)  I think that one's particularly underrated, as well.

Mike

I saw them in Ogden that year, and I have to admit that they sounded VERY good, especially that opening statement!

I wasn't a huge fan of the arrangement back then, but it has aged ok for me.  I think this was the primordial show where two pieces of music were pretty tightly woven together into one.  Now it seems pretty tame though.