Underrated Shows?

A great brass book. I like their 2003 book even better. Too bad they over-played it on finals night. They had a fabulous brass line in 2003 that would have won high brass had they just played the way they did all summer.

That is a stellar brass book in 2003 and I remember sitting at Finals that year and just hoping that they would dial it in a little and it never happened.

1995 in general was a great drum corps summer. Lots of energy! Bluecoats did an amazing patriotic show, as did the Cadets in one of the best patriotic shows ever. BD was masterful and dark. Cavaliers were cutting-edge in visual and effect. Madison was simply AWESOME!!! I think they received 6 standing ovations throughout their show. It was a rock concert. If you were in the stadium you know. Crossmen were wonderful, and so were many others.

That was my first summer of marching (Magic of Orlando) and I remember just being in awe of the power that that Madison hornline produced night after night and they were constantly on! That show hit every single night and had it been put on the field a year prior it would have mopped up!

Cadets through the narration years. Everybody was quick to hate because of the talking but the music and drill of those shows were always phenomenal. Glassmen gold years were underrated because the Glassmen were always underrated. They were so much that they made tshirts with Boring on them and sold them at their souvie truck.

I know I'm not as experienced as the majority of people on this website so excuse me in advance...

But I would think that Phantom Regiment 2002 is pretty underrated... I've only seen the opener, but I thought it was pretty good.

In fact, I looked everywhere for a video of their full performance but I didn't find anything. Even the video of their opener is gone.

(I'm so sorry)

1995 Cadets - although not really underrated most don't talk about it because of the wild BD show and the majestic Cavies show from the same year. Couple that with Madison (one of my fav they have ever done) and it is kind of an ill forgotten treasure. Visually it was a great show.

It's true, one doesn't hear about this show often enough, and it's a great one.

A great brass book. [1993 Regiment] I like their 2003 book even better. Too bad they over-played it on finals night. They had a fabulous brass line in 2003 that would have won high brass had they just played the way they did all summer.

That is a stellar brass book in 2003 and I remember sitting at Finals that year and just hoping that they would dial it in a little and it never happened.

Thanks for the love. :-) Humbled to be mentioned in the same breath as 1993, one of the best Regiment books/designs ever. Finals week was kindof rough on all of us (IMO); we came into it (or maybe 2 weeks out from finals, can't remember) with brass in 1st and dropped points every single night... it was frustrating to say the least. Not really sure what happened finals night with the "dialing it in," the Buicks had a great run (minus one crazy tick, a story for another time) but perhaps overhype/etc hurt us a bit, especially in some other sections?

Cadets through the narration years. Everybody was quick to hate because of the talking but the music and drill of those shows were always phenomenal. Glassmen gold years were underrated because the Glassmen were always underrated. They were so much that they made tshirts with Boring on them and sold them at their souvie truck.

Agree on both accounts. Love those Gmen gold years.

But I would think that Phantom Regiment 2002 is pretty underrated... I've only seen the opener, but I thought it was pretty good.

In fact, I looked everywhere for a video of their full performance but I didn't find anything. Even the video of their opener is gone.

(I'm so sorry)

I agree wholeheartedly on your choice. 2002 was a fantastic year, and you almost never hear about it. It was JD's first year as Brass Caption head, and a fantastic book. Visually pretty messed up, but lovely brass. Thanks for the love.

I've actually thought about this topic a lot more since my initial response and I have a few more choices:

1. 2013 SCV - Les Mis show that was simply breathtaking at the end and although I only saw it twice thta season it is still one of my favorites of the last few years.

2. 1992 BD - That closer though....I remember sitting at my first DCI show that summer and when they hit that hit of When A Man Loves A Woman I will never forget how that made me feel! It is to this day one of those iconic moments that I could listen to every day for the rest of my life and be content with life.

• 2 months later...