Underrated Shows?

Phantom Regiment 1987  Classic PR.  Incredibly loud brass line and a drill that perfectly matched the music.

SCV 2000  The exposure and demand in that show were off the chart.  The Guard's incredibly demanding equipment work and dance made that show work.  The drill never got as clean as it needed to be and that is probably what kept them in 4th place.

Edited by bluesman
Grammar

On 1/5/2017 at 1:51 PM, Chief Guns said:

1993 BD, Don Ellis Portrait. I know Crown has won 4 of the last 6 Ott's, and the majority of us slurp all over their horn line and rightfully so (Crown is amazing!!!) but that 1993 BD horn line, my goodness. 

sops always get the hype, but the baritone section that year was astonishing. 

• Like 1

On January 7, 2017 at 8:44 AM, BoaDci said:

Ink.  I know everybody hates it, but man...I love it.  I think most people dont give it a chance because Crown didnt win, and the actual show gets lost in the mix.  People need to realize its not BDs fault that the judges liked them better.   I liked the show.   

Other shows

Bd 2011

Bd 2013

Cadets 2015

Plus lots of others already mentioned....

Ink is my favorite show!  I also really love Cadets 2015!  of the most under rated I think BD 2013 really is under rated.  

• Like 1

One I don't has been mentioned yet is 1993 Santa Clara Vangaurd, the Walton Trilogy show.  Yes, I know it began their period of lesser success from 1993 - 1995 but it is just strangely incredibly charming and exciting.  Has an absolutely monster drum feature including one of the tastiest and hottest bass licks I've ever heard.  Won field percussion in semifinals.  I know reading about that show that apparently had an incredibly rough start to the season and going back to look at scores they started exactly 10 points behind Blue Devils and barley ahead of Velvet Knights who would ultimately miss finals.  Great drill too IMO.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

One I don't has been mentioned yet is 1993 Santa Clara Vangaurd, the Walton Trilogy show.  Yes, I know it began their period of lesser success from 1993 - 1995 but it is just strangely incredibly charming and exciting.  Has an absolutely monster drum feature including one of the tastiest and hottest bass licks I've ever heard.  Won field percussion in semifinals.  I know reading about that show that apparently had an incredibly rough start to the season and going back to look at scores they started exactly 10 points behind Blue Devils and barley ahead of Velvet Knights who would ultimately miss finals.  Great drill too IMO.  

Oh man, those uniforms. And those drums.

93%20SCV%20Snare%20Line.jpg

Based on the 1991 style, I get that. But...

Mike

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Oh yea, that show was totally underrated. I remember reading that they had a large number of people come up from SCVC. It was the year after their "unsuccessful" 25th Anniversary show, and loss of Gail Royer. It's one of my favorite SCV shows, and totally underrated!