DCI Championships In Indy - What Happens After 10 Years Are Up?

Except, even though we consider ourselves "savvy", there are no indoor venues available to us.

As you describe, a rain-out can put a TEP so far in the red that the only risk she can take the following year is an OC show, which is dirt-cheap compared to a World Class show. At that point the TEP is behind the 8-ball and trying to make up losses.

Most TEP's need "deep-pockets" to pay the contract up front then have faith in the TEP and pray to God that they know what they're doing. A "rookie" TEP (many times the new, local band-booster president) is a HUGE risk for DCI, although they have been very supportive to even new TEP's with good intentions and the right facilities.

This is probably why the Ft. Wayne show went open class. Years ago, Ft. Wayne had a regular show at North Side and it was very well attended through the 80s.

A group spring up a new show st St. Francis a few years ago and had some of the heavy hitter World class corps come. Attendance wasn't terrible but the first two years it rained before the show with some lingering showers as it started. No rain out, but probably hurt the walk up chances considerably.

Given that it was already an attempt to revive a location, I imagine the first two years hurt financially. Last year it was an all open class show. I didn't realize there's that much of a difference in the financial risk to a local commmitee but it'd make sense they'd scale back. I've no idea what attendance was this past year as I wasn't in town when it was scheduled. Dad visited me later on and we did the Annapolis show instead this year.

I can tell you've put a lot of thought into this, Matt, and I appreciate the cool graphics, but I'm going to throw a wrench into your works...

Looking at your potential schedule several pages back, I notice that you put the Dublin, Ohio Emerald City Games in the end of June, and you stuck a "New Show" in Wyoming in its place.

While it's easy to swap names and locations around on paper, it's not so in real life. Shows late in the season are MUCH more expensive than early season and, if I say so myself, it takes an experienced show team to step up and the extra financial risk on a late-season show. Finding a "New Show" TEP to host a show every couple of years isn't quite so easy.

Besides, Dublin definitely doesn't want a show in late June because the show quality isn't high enough (in the state with a national champ) to make a sufficient profit.

Yet California, which fairly often provides the national champ, is in the position Dublin seeks to avoid for all but 1 of DCI's 44 years

• Like 1

Yes, of course. Except the proposed schedule presents more risk than what DCI is likely willing to take.

In Drum Corps I learned how to strive to do things that are risky and hard. Do I always succeed? No. But I can at the very least know I gave it my all, and fought the good fight. And that is a lesson I learned from Corps.

• Like 1

In Drum Corps I learned how to strive to do things that are risky and hard. Do I always succeed? No. But I can at the very least know I gave it my all, and fought the good fight. And that is a lesson I learned from Corps.

Yes true...but I'm sure you don't want to risk 50 to 100 grand...I'm sure garfield knows the more accurate amounts...

Drum corps also teaches you to manage resources carefully so you don't end up stranded in upstate NY with no gas and no money 10 days before finals.

Just sayin'

Edited by corpsband

And that attitude and fortitude will certainly be one of the qualities that allows you to succeed in life in general. But, what one learns with age and experience is to measure the risks and take those with the highest potential return.

Perhaps you should exercise what drum corps taught you by becoming a show host. After all, more shows in more areas of the state will expose the activity to more people, creating demand, and performance opportunities for corps, and profit for all - hopefully.

The contract can easily cost $25m. Housing - 7 corps require 7 schools, each with minimum requirements per DCi and the corps and cost $500/night (better hope a corps doesn't want to stay over for another night!). Volunteers, police, porta-potties, food trucks, parking attendants... Marketing, a website, ticket-provider... Oh, and the show site. Stadiums can cost extra - figure $1m to $1,500. All told, an early season, mid-finisher-corps show can easily have a $30m-$35m nut to crack (late season, top-12 shows cost twice that or more). At $25 per ticket, how many fans do you have to attract to just break even? Three-thousand? 3,500? Want to make a profit or are you doing this just because you enjoy it? If you increase the ticket price to clear a profit, how many fans will choose to stay home and watch Youtube videos instead?

Oh, and if DCI increases the contract price, or if athletic practice impedes the practice fields, or the volleyball team schedules a meet in the gym...

Possible? You bet.

Go for it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Perhaps you should exercise what drum corps taught you by becoming a show host. After all, more shows in more areas of the state will expose the activity to more people, creating demand, and performance opportunities for corps, and profit for all - hopefully.

I've thought about doing this a few times...i love the activity so much...but then came back to the stark reality that I would probably be getting way out of my depth...

And that attitude and fortitude will certainly be one of the qualities that allows you to succeed in life in general. But, what one learns with age and experience is to measure the risks and take those with the highest potential return.

The contract can easily cost $25m. Housing - 7 corps require 7 schools, each with minimum requirements per DCi and the corps and cost $500/night (better hope a corps doesn't want to stay over for another night!). Volunteers, police, porta-potties, food trucks, parking attendants... Marketing, a website, ticket-provider... Oh, and the show site. Stadiums can cost extra - figure $1m to $1,500. All told, an early season, mid-finisher-corps show can easily have a $30m-$35m nut to crack (late season, top-12 shows cost twice that or more). At $25 per ticket, and $10 profit per seat (maybe), how many fans do you have to attract to just break even? Three-thousand? 3,500? Want to make a profit or are you doing this just because you enjoy it?

Oh, and if DCI increases the contract price, or if athletic practice impedes the practice fields, or the volleyball team schedules a meet in the gym...

Possible? You bet.

Go for it.

Well now I know why GH charges $125 for his premium VIP seating for the northeast TOC events...haha

Drum corps also teaches you to manage resources carefully so you don't end up stranded in upstate NY with no gas and no money 10 days before finals.

Just sayin'

I mean, technically, if the proposed idea failed, they'd be stranded somewhere in Minnesota.....

• Like 1