DCI Hotel Offers for Indy 2017 ? Does DCI Do This Anymore?

Hey All,

Does anyone know if DCI will be posting offers for lodging to Indianapolis Downtown hotels for DCI Champ week?

They have done this in the past....

Can't believe how expensive the downtown hotels have gotten. What use to cost 160 - 225 per night are now mid to high 200 to over 300 :shutup:

Edited by Triple Forte

Not only are they expensive, many are already sold out! Makes me wonder if DCI is holding large blocks of rooms. Last year, I was able to get an affordable room by booking about 4 months in advance. Before that, prices were sky high and availability was low.

Not only are they expensive, many are already sold out! Makes me wonder if DCI is holding large blocks of rooms. Last year, I was able to get an affordable room by booking about 4 months in advance. Before that, prices were sky high and availability was low.

Just book in Bloomington..it's really not all that far from Indy (about an hour or so and about 50+ miles)...need to get around by car in Indy anyway IMO...that's where I'd probably stay to avoid the high prices...

Edited by Liahona

I just searched the hotels by the LOS and all show booked. I even called one of them and she just laughed. "Try around Nov 1st, but call the Indy Convention Bureau. DCI has them all booked."

I then called DCI. MOST of the booked rooms are DCI but most hotels have rooms not booked by DCI. It's just a little too early because the industry loads new inventory around Nov 1st.

I've stayed out past the airport hotels. Significantly cheaper and some nice properties. It's a short drive and parking near the stadium has never been a problem. Guess it depends on how you spend your time -- I was watching rehearsals during the day :-) Stayed downtown as well -- it's ok but IMO not worth the premium price.

Actually, so many of the contest week decisions are nuanced with the iinput of Friends of DCI folk who spend big money for DCI, but are also folks whose jobs and companies cover hotel costs; if not directly but through the frequent flier and loyalty points accrued on their big credit cards and many nights on the road for their other non-DCI travel. That's the way big business runs today.

However from my experience of tours since pre-1972 to present, the usual mom and pop already doing double duty working at the non-executive pay scale, perhaps working two jobs to help junior pay off college plus tour fees and camp costs like airfare, end up with only one or two possible vacation periods of which DCI becomes one.

I would propose that DCI arrange with each participating corps one room at a major discount for P/S/Finals for one family of a marching member whom the corps will decide (merit, financial need, MMs vote, whatever.) The rooms booked through corps websites are still far above usual and belay the greed of a convention city.

Or when selling the pre-season tickets, offer a chance to win the raffle for the same room and mega-discount if tickets are bought by a certain date. A little bit of honey goes along way rather than allowing the resentments to build as the Trumps and Clintons of the DCI world lap in luxury while the fans and MM families sleep in their cars.

With Allentown's pricing already announced as being higher than previous seasons, I presume other Regionals and Championship Week will also increase. Why? That hasn't been shared (yet).

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

With Allentown's pricing already announced as being higher than previous seasons, I presume other Regionals and Championship Week will also increase. Why? That hasn't been shared (yet).

I'm annoyed at how the hotels work around the A-town weekend...it's only that weekend...no matter when you book it...just look at the week before and after and you will notice a big price difference...I call BS by the area hotels...

Actually, so many of the contest week decisions are nuanced with the iinput of Friends of DCI folk who spend big money for DCI, but are also folks whose jobs and companies cover hotel costs; if not directly but through the frequent flier and loyalty points accrued on their big credit cards and many nights on the road for their other non-DCI travel. That's the way big business runs today.

However from my experience of tours since pre-1972 to present, the usual mom and pop already doing double duty working at the non-executive pay scale, perhaps working two jobs to help junior pay off college plus tour fees and camp costs like airfare, end up with only one or two possible vacation periods of which DCI becomes one.

I would propose that DCI arrange with each participating corps one room at a major discount for P/S/Finals for one family of a marching member whom the corps will decide (merit, financial need, MMs vote, whatever.) The rooms booked through corps websites are still far above usual and belay the greed of a convention city.

Or when selling the pre-season tickets, offer a chance to win the raffle for the same room and mega-discount if tickets are bought by a certain date. A little bit of honey goes along way rather than allowing the resentments to build as the Trumps and Clintons of the DCI world lap in luxury while the fans and MM families sleep in their cars.

Are you a Friends member?

I'm annoyed at how the hotels work around the A-town weekend...it's only that weekend...no matter when you book it...just look at the week before and after and you will notice a big price difference...I call BS by the area hotels...

The Bethlehem Musicfest and the Macungie Car show are usually the same weekend as DCI.

Given how close these towns are, no wonder hotels are full. As the DCI Allentown home committee moves to looking toward their 50th jubilee up the road, perhaps they might address this with the local hoteliers. The area has definitely grown since the first few contests; even J. Birney Crum has to share naming rights with one guy for the 10 yard line and another for the track. More truth than kidding.

Maybe Fran Haring, a member emeritus of the committee might enlighten us.

Edited by xandandl