DCI Hotel Offers for Indy 2017 ? Does DCI Do This Anymore?

Actually, so many of the contest week decisions are nuanced with the iinput of Friends of DCI folk who spend big money for DCI, but are also folks whose jobs and companies cover hotel costs; if not directly but through the frequent flier and loyalty points accrued on their big credit cards and many nights on the road for their other non-DCI travel. That's the way big business runs today.

However from my experience of tours since pre-1972 to present, the usual mom and pop already doing double duty working at the non-executive pay scale, perhaps working two jobs to help junior pay off college plus tour fees and camp costs like airfare, end up with only one or two possible vacation periods of which DCI becomes one.

I would propose that DCI arrange with each participating corps one room at a major discount for P/S/Finals for one family of a marching member whom the corps will decide (merit, financial need, MMs vote, whatever.) The rooms booked through corps websites are still far above usual and belay the greed of a convention city.

Or when selling the pre-season tickets, offer a chance to win the raffle for the same room and mega-discount if tickets are bought by a certain date. A little bit of honey goes along way rather than allowing the resentments to build as the Trumps and Clintons of the DCI world lap in luxury while the fans and MM families sleep in their cars.

With Allentown's pricing already announced as being higher than previous seasons, I presume other Regionals and Championship Week will also increase. Why? That hasn't been shared (yet).

Wow, your unbridled swipe at Friends members truly exposes a lot about your viewpoint. And your viewpoint couldn't possibly be farther from the truth, except to the extent of the Corporate Friends (above $5,000), which possibly was to whom you were referring. But your overly-broad generalization of Friends is an unfair characterization of not only the typical Friends member, but also of the driving force behind the pricing of finals-week goods and services. All you really did was expose an apparent jealousy of those who choose to be Friends members.

in the past; well out of my price range. I don't believe in Pay to Play politics in or out of drum corps.

This makes it 100% evident that you either have no idea what Friends is or how it works, or you're very careless with your choice of words.

I've been a Friend for over 25 years and some of my best friends in the activity are the founding members of the Friends program. To suggest that they are either partaking in pay-to-play, or are playing politics, with their membership is foolish bordering on insane.

Friends is a ticket-purchase program and little more, although it does honor long-standing significant donors with the ability to review and grant scholarships, present awards on finals night, and avoid some lines. Oh, and there's the Friends breakfast on finals morning where we get to hear Dan A. and a couple of others speak over a typical hotel breakfast spread.

Please, don't castigate one of the more profitable supporter programs that DCI runs and paint its members with a foul smell of impropriety. I resent the implication with which you paint me and the other members. It's just your jealousy talking - not the truth.

I will say that staying downtown is very convenient to walking. We used to drive a motorhome to finals and stay at the KOA east of Indy, then drive to the shows. It wasn't bad and we never had any problems, but driving precludes any indulgence in adult beverages in celebration, and leaving the downtown area that late at night, after a long day in the stands, was usually blurry-eyed.

In all, we loved the RV-to-finals life but, except for the expense, really enjoy the show experience in the downtown area.

Wow, your unbridled swipe at Friends members truly exposes a lot about your viewpoint. And your viewpoint couldn't possibly be farther from the truth, except to the extent of the Corporate Friends (above $5,000), which possibly was to whom you were referring. But your overly-broad generalization of Friends is an unfair characterization of not only the typical Friends member, but also of the driving force behind the pricing of finals-week goods and services. All you really did was expose an apparent jealousy of those who choose to be Friends members.

This makes it 100% evident that you either have no idea what Friends is or how it works, or you're very careless with your choice of words.

I've been a Friend for over 25 years and some of my best friends in the activity are the founding members of the Friends program. To suggest that they are either partaking in pay-to-play, or are playing politics, with their membership is foolish bordering on insane.

Friends is a ticket-purchase program and little more, although it does honor long-standing significant donors with the ability to review and grant scholarships, present awards on finals night, and avoid some lines. Oh, and there's the Friends breakfast on finals morning where we get to hear Dan A. and a couple of others speak over a typical hotel breakfast spread.

Please, don't castigate one of the more profitable supporter programs that DCI runs and paint its members with a foul smell of impropriety. I resent the implication with which you paint me and the other members. It's just your jealousy talking - not the truth.

I used to be a friends member at the gold/silver level...have no idea what the levels are now...I decided that I rather support the corps directly and buy my tickets from them rather than friends of DCI...I was always fairly happy with my tickets from friends...I'm a big purchaser from both the cadets and Boston when it comes to tickets...I'm sure the cadets love me...they send me invitations to all their fancy stuff all the time...I can honestly say I've never once got bad seats from the cadets ever...but I always buy VIP...love those added perks that come with the tickets...thanks again George...haha

Edited by Liahona

You are entitled to your opinion and experience, just as I and other posters are entitled to ours. I will further "swipe" that you are coming to Indy from Ohio, less than a few hours and far more cheaper than those of us on either coast, Texas or Canada. We're not engaging in this conversation as equal partners by geography, so I won't comment further than to say you'll probably want the last word per usual.

Edited by xandandl

You are entitled to your opinion and experience, just as I and other posters are entitled to ours. I will further "swipe" that you are coming to Indy from Ohio, less than a few hours and far more cheaper than those of us on either coast, Texas or Canada. We're not engaging in this conversation as equal partners, so I won't comment further than to say you'll probably want the last word per usual.

I'm "entitled" to my experience? Gee, thanks pal. You have NO experience in Friends and your attempt to include others here in your falsity is shallow and transparent. What the heck does geography have to do with your contention that Friends influence the cost of goods and services during finals week? So now you're jealous of not only the Friends members but also of living in the Midwest?

There are a couple-hundred Friends members but there are thousands of fans demanding hotel rooms during finals week - the original point of this thread prior to your inaccurate accusations. That demand - and not the relative wealth or "ability to afford" by Friends members - is what influences hotel availability and prices, nothing else.

If you'll live up to your promise, you'll not comment on my truisms. As it should be.

Despite the current fad of separating people into separate and not equal groups, Friends are not the enemy.

Edited by garfield

As a Antique Auto Club of America member (more years than I've followed corps) I can say that Macungie is a big meet and the money maker for the hosting club. No surprise that rates go up then. PS Hershey auto meet is this week. Good luck getting a hotel in 50 mile radius..

So what is the role of "Friends" in getting rooms and rates... see bunch o' contradictions here..... and more steam than info.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I am only a day tripper to Finals, megabussing to Indy on Saturday morning, then megabussing back to Chicago soon after the champion encore.

Sleeping on the bus is my civic duty.

As the performers have ridden the bus for 2 months, I can tolerate it for one 24 hour period.

• Like 4

As a Antique Auto Club of America member (more years than I've followed corps) I can say that Macungie is a big meet and the money maker for the hosting club. No surprise that rates go up then. PS Hershey auto meet is this week. Good luck getting a hotel in 50 mile radius..

So what is the role of "Friends" in getting rooms and rates... see bunch o' contradictions here..... and more steam than info.....

Yep, you nailed it, Jim. The AACA, the biker convention...there are lots of factors that go into the pricing and availability of hotels, not to mention DCI booking bunches of rooms for the benefit of those who reserve through them. The impact of Friends of DCI is negligible to zero, despite the accusations of some uninformed guessers here.

Edited by garfield

I am only a day tripper to Finals, megabussing to Indy on Saturday morning, then megabussing back to Chicago soon after the champion encore.

Sleeping on the bus is my civic duty.

As the performers have ridden the bus for 2 months, I can tolerate it for one 24 hour period.

And I can put up with those scratchy 600-thread-count sheets that come in those shabby $300/night rooms.

We all have our sacrifices for the activity.

:tounge2: