Drum Corps Survey

Well, to be fair, Racine was inactive for the 2016 season. Until they come back, perhaps they shouldn't be on the list anymore.

yes and racine were open-class as well...perhaps if it said "active"...

So technically I'm right with 3rd for now..which puts cadets in 1st...thanks eleran

Edited by Liahona

Of course corps have input into their own uniforms. FJM or any designer will attempt to tailor them to each staff's requirements. FJM also used Phantom to model their layered uniform packages, which honestly is no different than the drumline for instance switching to carbon fiber shells at a manufacturer's behest.

Anyways, in Boston's case, I sure don't mind them going with performance wear, as long as you can still look at them and tell they're Boston.

Mike

Of course corps have input into their own uniforms. FJM or any designer will attempt to tailor them to each staff's requirements. FJM also used Phantom to model their layered uniform packages, which honestly is no different than the drumline for instance switching to carbon fiber shells at a manufacturer's behest.

Anyways, in Boston's case, I sure don't mind them going with performance wear, as long as you can still look at them and tell they're Boston.

Mike

oh great, the "Waldo pajamas" brought to you by Mike New.

...Boston is the third-oldest junior drum and bugle corps in the nation while the cadets are respectfully 2nd...these uniforms are to say the least ICONIC...I don't envy the decision and hard choices that are going to be made in the not too distant future by both of these corps..

And all three of those oldest Corps - Cadets, Madison and Boston - suffer from that same dilema of how do you

take risks and be modern, while holding on to certain traditions? I personally like the subtle changes and tweaks Boston

has made while retaining the basic look of Boston. I hope they can find a way to keep that brand while coming

up with some type of new and original idea that doesn't "copy" what Bluecoats and others have done.

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 1

oh great, the "Waldo pajamas" brought to you by Mike New.

Boston sponsor is band shoppe...not FJM

And all three of those oldest Corps - Cadets, Madison and Boston - suffer from that same dilema of how do you

take risks and be modern, while holding on to certain traditions? I personally like the subtle changes and tweaks Boston

has made while retaining the basic look of Boston. I hope they can find a way to keep that brand while coming

up with some type of new and original idea that doesn't "copy" what Bluecoats and others have done.

I agree...it's not an easy task by any means...but I've been talking with 60's and 70's crusaders recently about this...and most of them say to me that...while they may prefer the uniform when they marched...they will support boston in whatever direction they decide to go...ultimately most of us alums just want to see the corps succeed on competitive basis...we shall see how true this holds...should boston make a radical or less than subtle change with their corps proper uniform...perhaps they will remain traditional...it seems we are in a bit of transition for many of the corps...reminds me as corps adopted B-flat instruments...it took a while to get going...

Edited by Liahona

The work is not in deciding "should I make the change" but in actually managing the change.

I know the Bluecoats don't have the history of the corps in discussion here. But the helmet and plume were definitely iconic and had become central to their identity. I I won't say that the Bluecoats handled the uniform change 100% perfectly without a hitch, but they were pretty close.

How many times did we hear from Bluecoats alumni and associated friends and family on DCP about what a mistake this was? I am not talking about the peanut gallery, but the corps family. How many times did we see leaks of internal turmoil and strife on DCP ... or Dave Glasgows' or Bluecoats' official Facebook for that matter?

If a new corps-proper costume is the right move for Boston or any other iconic corps, I wish them well in the change management process.