Drum Corps Survey

I would imagine having a jammin program that makes the uniform make sense and a first championship ring goes a long way on making the transition smooth. Of course we have yet to see if it's an actual lasting change or just something done to fit this particular show

The use of a survey to make artistic decisions is a bit alarming. I appreciate that BC is concerned about their tradition and such, but if they want to make artistic changes, by God, just make them and then sell the hell out of them. Market surveys are for politicians and shampoo, not artists.

I'm not sure the purpose of this survey was only about the uniforms or whether to change or not change uniforms. There were a number of questions regarding age, are you a donor, did you march, etc. Boston Crusaders may very well have the most varied group of fans. You have old schoolers who believe anything after 1970 is a disaster, fans who think the only good show was 2014's edgy "Animal Farm," alums, high school kids, people who marched in the CYO, Mayflower, and Eastern MA circuits whose drum corps, drill teams, and bands are but a memory, and people who just like BAC. These people are potential donors, customers at souvenir stands, and ticket holders. Knowing the fan base of a corps is essential if you want these people to support a corps.

If BAC wanted a poll about artistic choices, my guess is they would use a professional company, probably one in marketing that conducts surveys, and it would specific people and not be on Facebook. A survey generated with the help of Suffolk University is probably student generated, perhaps by someone who matches drum corps, Facebook gives it a wider audience, and it provides helpful information, but my hunch is the info may be to get to know the fan base better.

A survey generated with the help of Suffolk University is probably student generated, perhaps by someone who matches drum corps, Facebook gives it a wider audience, and it provides helpful information, but my hunch is the info may be to get to know the fan base better.

It is my understanding that this survey was put together by a marketing professor at Suffolk University who recently joined Boston's Board...

It is my understanding that this survey was put together by a marketing professor at Suffolk University who recently joined Boston's Board...

The corps director did a presentation in one of the professor's classes. I believe the class also had input (along with the professor) in the development of the survey.

Mike's comment is the conundrum for me... I loved the Bluecoats this year. I think the performance-specific wear that they and Crown have been using have been fantastically effective. I prefer the military-style uniforms (Boston has actually been my favorite uniform for more than a decade... sorry Cadets!), but I keep coming back to how much I love the shows that integrate the uniform into the performance. It's not the military, you know? If you were doing a show about Toy Souldiers (for instance ;-)), the military style uniform is PERFECT! But not every show supports a military-style uniform.

However, a corps' identity means a lot to me personally. I'm 100% for incorporating the brand into the uniform so you know who's who when they march on the field. BUT... if your show is about water and ice, how on earth do you keep the red and black color palette!??! Does that ham-string the design team? Do you just incorporate the Lion emblem when the red/black isn't appropriate?

I'll support them 100% either way... I'll just really really really really miss those BA west-point jackets. :-)

Anyways, in Boston's case, I sure don't mind them going with performance wear, as long as you can still look at them and tell they're Boston.

Mike

Here is the reason why IMO their uniform does not matter...

Cadence-15-rwersinger_003.jpg

This is NOT Boston Crusaders. This is Cadence from the UK.

Battalion-2-jpg.jpg

This is NOT Boston Crusaders. It is The Battalion from SLC...

Edited by Liahona

Wearing uniforms bought from Boston. They still look nice.

Yes I agree...but if it's a "brand" they are concerned with protecting...that brand as a uniform can't really be protected IMO...I'm surprised they can even use the "waldo" logo although used for decades...i.e. Löwenbräu

I'm not sure the purpose of this survey was only about the uniforms or whether to change or not change uniforms. There were a number of questions regarding age, are you a donor, did you march, etc. Boston Crusaders may very well have the most varied group of fans. You have old schoolers who believe anything after 1970 is a disaster, fans who think the only good show was 2014's edgy "Animal Farm," alums, high school kids, people who marched in the CYO, Mayflower, and Eastern MA circuits whose drum corps, drill teams, and bands are but a memory, and people who just like BAC. These people are potential donors, customers at souvenir stands, and ticket holders. Knowing the fan base of a corps is essential if you want these people to support a corps.

Some questions put into surveys are there for doing analytical crosstabs--e.g. "how did a donor answer this question vs. non-donors?" or "Did older fans answer this differently than younger fans?"

I suspect that was the reason for the non-uniform questions.

Here is the reason why IMO their uniform does not matter...

Cadence-15-rwersinger_003.jpg

This is NOT Boston Crusaders. This is Cadence from the UK.

Battalion-2-jpg.jpg

This is NOT Boston Crusaders. It is The Battalion from SLC...

For a full comparison of Boston's changes, if they can be found, show pics of uniforms from 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's in the early and mid points of each decade and you'll see changes over those periods, Not so much in the 70's and early 80's as there was little money for the corps and what money they had went to instruments. Changes to unis back then were MM applied or some nice mom (Dot Winn) helping out adding stripes, making new sashes, cummerbunds, jacket trim and so on. It's a whole new era now and uni changes are mandatory it seems every couple or few years. Some dramatic like Bluecoats or Cadets or Troopers, Some evolving like Boston, Blue Devils, Madison, Phantom. The survey will see what alumni pushback there might be (I'm guessing less than there would be years ago)and that may be the only pushback that will require tact to persuade a change is necessary. The survey should also expose to a degree, how much of a change would be palatable for the brand and acceptable for show design. I'm guessing the change will head toward progressive but hang onto to the critical identity aspects, maybe integrated in a new manner. Just my opinion.