De La Salle Oaklands

But the similarities end in 1974....1975 Joel DMs Oakland Crusaders to top 12 at DCI.

I continued to march as DM for my corps until 1975. Joel continued to be DM for De La Salle Oaklands and Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders until 1976. I was asked to be DM for Seneca Optimists 1976 but declined and toured with Dutch Boy Cadets as a guard instructor (part time) and marched Oakland Crusaders as spare flag in 1976 (part time). I'm low key. During high school, 2 of Joel's other activities were playing recorder and flute. During high school, 2 of my other activities were choir (alto, hence low key) and high school musicals! lol

edit: changed 'was' to 'were' to denote plural;)

Edited by lindap

Even the "Oaklands" nickname is from the college.

https://www.delasalle.ca/

It was and is a nice campus, for high school aged students. Del would often perform at their football games. We, drum corps friends, would watch the game and halftime show. It was a short subway ride west and north in a central part of Toronto. The campus had a field surrounded by beautiful trees. We'd often go to Del's rehearsals between 1969 - 1974 and of course, saw them at many local events indoors and out, including our finals held in September.

While we were sponsored by Seneca College, a post secondary institution, Seneca Princemen was asked to perform at their football games in return for using the college's field and gym for rehearsals. Seneca College was a distance from Scarborough. We lost a few members from Scarborough but gained a few from North York. It was a long time ago...

From what I remember, they and St. Rita's Brassmen were the two corps that really brought the house down that night in Marion.

It was a great show overall.. but those two corps in particular were on fire.

Yes, the Brassmen, with Ride of the Valkyries opener, and "Woodstock riot" closer (complete with fire extinguishers)!

Joel Alleyne is still involved as President of the De La Salle Oaklands Crusaders Alumni as well as Conductor of DOCA Brass Ensemble. You can find a lot more info at our web history/online archive at:
delasallehistory.com.

On the home page there is a link to DOCA Brass doing Swan Lake from last year's get together.

De La Salle":

Remember them from the mid 1960's. Had a great corps.

Elphaba :flower:

Yes, the Brassmen, with Ride of the Valkyries opener, and "Woodstock riot" closer (complete with fire extinguishers)!

They had a great corps... especially the early 1970s through their final year in 1973. They never made the trip to DCI in 1972 and '73, but I think if they had, they would have been a finalist at least one of those years, quite possibly both.

IMO, they put out shows that were ahead of their time... in terms of their music arrangements and visual design/concepts, they were playing the game differently from many other corps, and I think they at times paid the price on the scoresheets for that.

Joel Alleyne is still involved as President of the De La Salle Oaklands Crusaders Alumni as well as Conductor of DOCA Brass Ensemble. You can find a lot more info at our web history/online archive at:

delasallehistory.com.

On the home page there is a link to DOCA Brass doing Swan Lake from last year's get together.

The website was updated since I last had a look. Cool:)

Edit: One of the DOCA members was from Seneca Princemen. Collaboration is good.

Edited by lindap

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to give a shout-out to this thread, and thanks to all who still remember and talk about this great corps!

• Like 3

On 10/12/2016 at 10:59 PM, Fran Haring said:

They had a great corps... especially the early 1970s through their final year in 1973.

They made finals at DCI in 1974. First time I heard Channel One and what a killer drumline. 

Edited by DAvery