Valve issue

BigW

The second valve in my Yamaha YEP-321S has an issue where when I let up on the valve, I get a loud "woosh" suction noise. You can feel the slight tug on the valve as it goes up from air pressure of some sort. Started at Church Sunday.

When I put a finger over the drain hole in the bottom of the valve... it makes no noise.

What the heck is going on here!?

The horn playes well, has no leaks as far as I can figure, just this 'woosh' when the second valve goes up.

Before I send it to a good repair shop, I want to have a clue as to what's going on and if I can fix this myself.

You may have a cracked tube going to it.

The tube from the first to second valve or second to third? Or one of the ones from the valve itself?

its hard to say without it in my hands. but i'd start with the little tube that's on the second valve. its common for that to get bumped and cause concerns.

I looked really close, no cracks- here's an crazy idea- is the felt under the valve sticking to the valve cap, sealing up the top of the valve and causing the sucking noise?

Chris, I appreciate someone I know knows brass talking about this. This is my personal horn for 40 years, man, I know it up and down, inside and out, and for me not to know what's wrong is driving me nuts- This horn is a seriously real part of me, a real extension. I also can't feel a leak, no fuzz in the tone, no funky buzz...

The second valve in my Yamaha YEP-321S has an issue where when I let up on the valve, I get a loud "woosh" suction noise. You can feel the slight tug on the valve as it goes up from air pressure of some sort. Started at Church Sunday.

When I put a finger over the drain hole in the bottom of the valve... it makes no noise.

What the heck is going on here!?

The horn playes well, has no leaks as far as I can figure, just this 'woosh' when the second valve goes up.

Before I send it to a good repair shop, I want to have a clue as to what's going on and if I can fix this myself.

Have you removed the bottom cap and tried the valve? A partially plugged cap could give that sound as the piston rises and air is reintroduced at the bottom of the cylinder. No cap would confirm that it is the cap. Completely blocking the hole in the cap would eliminate the sound, since no air is introduced, but the resulting suction (vacuum) might slow the rising action unless the spring is very strong.

Just an engineer's take on the phenomenon and a mellophone player.

Salut, Bob P.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, the first thing they did was look at the bottom cap to see if it was plugged, and it was clean as I thought. :satisfied:

The occlusions were somewhere around the tubes between the second valve from 1 and 3. Accumulated debris from 40 years of ownership.

Getting the horn cleaned and rehabed for the first time in 40 years- new felts, corks, a couple of extremely tiny and minor dings magneted out this week. Also make sure the valves are aligned clean. Because the felts were never replaced and I subscribe to the Doc Severinsen school of banging the bejezzus out of my valves, the felts are so thin they're riding high now.

Also getting my bugles gone over. He told me the Ultratone is in great shape for what it is, and that he can fabricate the new brace for it and also get the already decent rotor on it working even better. Hopefully he can get the one ding out of the Kanstul, and he'll even get those valves tuned up as well.

Next, my Bone's slide aligned right and maybe my Antique E Flat Stolzel valve Tuba restored to solid playing condition. He was working on a 4 valve antique Helicon when I walked in. I knew I was in the right place when that was the kind of projects he was working on, and I think he knew I was the right kind of customer when I recognized what it was. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see that it worked out - sometimes the simplest solution is correct - we engineers tend to complicate things! :huh2:

Salut, Bob P.