Innovations the Cadets should use

To me ever since 2016 the innovation of the Cadets has been slighlty lack luster do i think they have been working hard yes. But the innovation that has been getting them championships is not currently present. So why not present ideas that could be used. Now this isnt a Cadets roast session, so please feel free to submit ideas, because who knows maybe George is watching.

I think the biggest innovation they could use right now is going back to being The Cadets. Awakening was a cool show, but it didn't feel like a Cadets show. Ditch the staging and heavy theatrics. Maybe even ditch the black (although I personally love the black), and do a show with some staples in a new, Cadets way like 2011 or do some mix of new and old music with some cool drill. But go back to being The Cadets.

• Like 2

I think the biggest innovation they could use right now is going back to being The Cadets.

And you know this thought is burning a hole in Hopkin's brain right now. Searing it way to the surface, you can hear the sizzling loud and clear all the way from Mechanicsburg!

• Like 1

I think the biggest innovation they could use right now is going back to being The Cadets. Awakening was a cool show, but it didn't feel like a Cadets show. Ditch the staging and heavy theatrics. Maybe even ditch the black (although I personally love the black), and do a show with some staples in a new, Cadets way like 2011 or do some mix of new and old music with some cool drill. But go back to being The Cadets.

I think Cadets maybe ventured too quickly in a new direction. There must be a balance respecting your tradition and stylistic identity while exploring new dimensions. My recommendation, return to traditional uni or an updated version, respect your earned reputation for tackling movement and motion, but allow the design to go deeper for nuances that will be appreciated by judges who may see you in numerous occasions. I think this can be done and if so, they'll get the credit.
  • Like 1

To me ever since 2016 the innovation of the Cadets has been slighlty lack luster do i think they have been working hard yes. But the innovation that has been getting them championships is not currently present. So why not present ideas that could be used. Now this isnt a Cadets roast session, so please feel free to submit ideas, because who knows maybe George is watching.

So, this year?

Cadets will be fine. Yes, they hit some road blocks staff wise, and they seriously need a new drill designer, but they'll be fine. I remember reading about the same stuff in 06 and again in 08. Both years, they've recovered.

If we're looking for constructive criticism, ditch the literal stories. Any time in the last decade Cadets have had trouble (I think) it's when they've had a complex story (see 06 and 08 again). Yes, they've also had successful story shows (05, 11), but it seems like that's a (big) hit or (big) miss game with them. Even this year's show could have been saved if they'd ditched the statue story, get rid of the guard makeup, put the rest of the corps in maroon and gold, and retitled the show as "...of Rome: The Music of Ottorino Respighi".

So, this year?

Cadets will be fine. Yes, they hit some road blocks staff wise, and they seriously need a new drill designer, but they'll be fine. I remember reading about the same stuff in 06 and again in 08. Both years, they've recovered.

If we're looking for constructive criticism, ditch the literal stories. Any time in the last decade Cadets have had trouble (I think) it's when they've had a complex story (see 06 and 08 again). Yes, they've also had successful story shows (05, 11), but it seems like that's a (big) hit or (big) miss game with them. Even this year's show could have been saved if they'd ditched the statue story, get rid of the guard makeup, put the rest of the corps in maroon and gold, and retitled the show as "...of Rome: The Music of Ottorino Respighi".

and how would Mackey have felt? He was very good to the corps in many ways on and off the field.

And you know this thought is burning a hole in Hopkin's brain right now. Searing it way to the surface, you can hear the sizzling loud and clear all the way from Mechanicsburg!

Like the sage goes, you can turn the stripes on a zebra horizontal, but it's still a zebra.

Be the zebra. Love the zebra.

Zig.

Zag.

Zebra.

• Like 1

Time for a new director. Nothing against Hop. He did awesome work for decades. And now it's time to pass the baton. I don't think you're going to see that new innovation you say you want unless there's a new director. Me, I loved the 2016 show. And 2015. And even 2012! So I don't feel that same need for innovation I guess. Whatever "innovation" means in the context of drum corps.

• Like 1

So, this year?

And if they could recover from '06, they can recover from anything. LOL

Insipid dialogue... low-rent costuming... amateurish, Bizarro World characters... what was not to like about that '06 show??? :tongue: