A Drum Corps Legend Passes

I know this is the DCI side of DCP, and what I'm about to mention concerns a man who was involved with senior/all-age drum corps... and I know most of you here don't know of him. But his contributions to the activity were many, and transcended all levels... so please bear with me...

George Hayek, one of the co-founders of the Hawthorne Caballeros organization, has passed away at the age of 90.

George was one of a few young men returning from military service in World War II who decided to start a senior corps, representing American Legion Post 199 of Hawthorne, NJ. They soon adopted the name "Caballeros" and wore Latin-style uniforms... which was a radical departure from the "military dress" norm of those days.

This was in 1946. 70 years ago. The competition corps, and the organization's alumni corps, are going strong to this day.

George was a drummer for many years before retiring from marching. He then helped the corps in whatever capacity needed... including chairing the Caballeros' "Drum Corps Grand Prix" competition, which has been a fixture on the summer calendar for more than 50 years.

Long story short... he remained active with the Caballeros organization... the competition corps, and then later as a marching member of the alumni corps' honor guard until some health issues required him to stop suiting up a year or two ago... from Day One in 1946 until his passing. He was the last surviving co-founder.

70 years.

My opinion... we'll never see another like him. And I will never meet a finer gentleman, anywhere.

• Like 3

I will miss his smile and his wonderful stories. I always looked forward to seeing him at parades , Clifton next month will be sad for me. Such a great person , last year a George Hayak passed away but he told me there were four other family members besides himself named George Hayak and not to worry , RIP to a wonderful human being , in this day and age a rare occurence.

• Like 1

"RIP George Hayak":

A true drum corps legend and a fine gentleman.

George, we hardly knew ye......... :flower:

RIP

Elphaba

• Like 1

My history is weak, but as I understand it, despite being from the all-age side of the activity, the Caballeros have certainly influenced DCI and other junior corps through the years. Weren't the Muchachos, who placed 4th in DCI in 1974, an offshoot of the Caballeros?

And just two or three years ago in one of the DCI cinema broadcasts, a Madison Scouts member mentioned during an interview that he had previously marched with the Cabs. The corps is indeed going strong, and I have enjoyed their shows each year since I started attending DCA finals five years ago. A toast to the memory of Mr. Hayek, and peace to his family.

• Like 1

My history is weak, but as I understand it, despite being from the all-age side of the activity, the Caballeros have certainly influenced DCI and other junior corps through the years. Weren't the Muchachos, who placed 4th in DCI in 1974, an offshoot of the Caballeros?

And just two or three years ago in one of the DCI cinema broadcasts, a Madison Scouts member mentioned during an interview that he had previously marched with the Cabs. The corps is indeed going strong, and I have enjoyed their shows each year since I started attending DCA finals five years ago. A toast to the memory of Mr. Hayek, and peace to his family.

I know that Jim Costello, the Caballeros' director from 1946 until his passing in 2001, also was visual instructor for the Holy Name/Garfield Cadets for many years. He also is a member of the DCI Hall of Fame.

• Like 1