"It's Time To Get Rid Of Marching Band Halftime Show"

This was many moons ago, but back when Mercyhurst College (Erie, PA) started their football program in the 80s, they didn't have a marching band. They deemed the need for a halftime show to be so important that they asked my high school (a county school, by the way, for those that know what that means) to perform the halftime show at their first home game. And I must say, that was probably one of our best run-throughs of the whole season.

And as long as we are talking B1G football -- Penn State has woven the Blue Band into its football lore. It is said that if the drum major lands his front flip during the pre-game show, we will win that game. Lately, its not so much a guarantee though. We'll see how it works out this weekend against aOSU.

It was only a matter of time before a thread about college band erupted into a Michigan/Ohio spat :tounge2:

It's always simmering just below the surface. Kinda like the caldera at Yellowstone. :wow:

• Like 1

As The Cavaliers gave us Niagara, and USC gave us an inflatable Statue of Liberty, we are due for a Yellowstone show from the Troopers.

considering many large school's athletic programs PAY for the marching members and provide scholarships to members, the halftime shows will not go away.

While I was in school one of my scholarships was for the marching band and pep band. You worked to support the team, and played events that athletes appeared at in return for money for your education that came from their bank account. Really, a pretty sweet deal.

As The Cavaliers gave us Niagara, and USC gave us an inflatable Statue of Liberty, we are due for a Yellowstone show from the Troopers.

Ooh. I like it.

#GoBlue ( Wisconsin should have won the game vs Ohio)

I knew there was a good reason to like you. :tongue:

Early 1980s, several drum corps buddies and I went to see Texas-Penn State at Giants Stadium in NJ.

I'm a longtime Texas fan, and man was it cool to finally see and hear the Longhorn Band in person. They blew all of us away. Especially when they cranked up the "Texas Fight" fight song. They pinned the volume meter there. LOL

Gotta be honest here... Penn State's band was good, but they didn't top the 'Horns that day.

Neither did their football team. :thumbup: