Broken Arrow's Answer to Ramps - the Arms Race Continues

and I saw a cart run over a kid's ankle . . .

Plus, I spent much of the day at the OMEA state finals, where there is no ranking and as a result, IMO, they're not capable of getting the quality of the BA, but that's another thread... (Hey, N.E.Brigand! Fun to see you!...)

Back at you! And on the subject of ankles . . .

About 45 minutes after you left, the percussion judge tried to make a dash to the battery through the hornline while they were standing still. What he didn't know was that the hornline was about to shift to a wide stance pose.

He tripped over a kid's ankle and went down on his face. Back up in a couple seconds on his way, but not before a lot of the audience noticed. That's the first time attending many shows that I've actually seen a judge fall, for all the talk there is about such accidents.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Hah, I bet they never snapped to a wide stance pose so strongly as they did when they saw the judge going for the gap.

When my sister was in band, they did an original number where a phrase is repeated getting softer and softer until they it it at ffff then then go on with the melody. At one contest they had on field music judges, something their usual circuit didn't. The judge picked out the smallest mello player, assuming she was an alternate or something just filling a spot with a horn. She happened to be one of their best musicians and was marching mello that year to lead the section rather than her usually trumpet. It was a standstill jam until the big hit, so the judge had his ear right up the bell of the horn listening to see if she was actually playing. She hit the ffff as loud as she could with his head right there in the bell.

OK, so, despite my better judgement, I followed a couple of links and watched this show from down low and up pretty high. Umm. Wow. This dish of crow needs salt...

That's an impressive, impressive show. My initial distaste is lessened, considerably. Once I got past the pedal carts and looked at how they not only blended so well, not to mention the other spectacular parts of the design, it was hard to remember that this is a HS program. It was really that good. A few goofy things like individual mistakes, and I saw a cart run over a kid's ankle, but the carts adding a nice, flowing quality to the visual design that is hard to achieve with just drill design and marching execution.

I think I'm a little biased because, as a "camper" (as in a 40ft motorhome), we see those carts rented at KOA and other campgrounds. They're a nuisance, and fun to peddle around in, in campgrounds.

Plus, I spent much of the day at the OMEA state finals, where there is no ranking and as a result, IMO, they're not capable of getting the quality of the BA, but that's another thread... (Hey, N.E.Brigand! Fun to see you!...)

Performing in OMEA next week! Yeah, there aren't a lot of amazing High School bands in Ohio, but there are a good amount of solid ones in my area at least.

And, for the opposing viewpoint, we present Stephen F Austin. Don't need no stinkin' pedal carts here!

One of the most beautifully designed guards-without-flags I've ever seen, that's for sure. They just jump off the field. And the winds and drums - oooh-la-la - tasty!

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

And, for the opposing viewpoint, we present Stephen F Austin. Don't need no stinkin' pedal carts here!

One of the most beautifully designed guards-without-flags I've ever seen, that's for sure. They just jump off the field. And the winds and drums - oooh-la-la - tasty!

No joke was about to post this one for people who might like it a bit more straight forward.

They've always used the dance team and done it really well, they've shrunk a ton in recent years but the quality hasn't diminished any.

Who doesn't love a fun well performed Gershwin show anyways?

No joke was about to post this one for people who might like it a bit more straight forward.

They've always used the dance team and done it really well, they've shrunk a ton in recent years but the quality hasn't diminished any.

Who doesn't love a fun well performed Gershwin show anyways?

DCI judges?

• Like 1

And sabers/rifles as well.

Okay Phantom, it's okay to turn the guard loose without the equipment.

I really loved the guard in this without the equipment...almost feel like if this show had equipment it would ruin the beautiful effect...I like the smaller band as well...field is NOT as cluttered with a bunch of STUFF either...

Huge thumbs up!