Broken Arrow's Answer to Ramps - the Arms Race Continues

So much here to enjoy for us minimalists.

I like that. Good repackaging, garfield.

Minimalism is an accepted form in music (and other arts, under different names). It would be nice to see more of it in drum corps: elegant rather than elaborate responses to artistic challenges.

• Like 3

Minimalism is an accepted form in music (and other arts, under different names). It would be nice to see more of it in drum corps: elegant rather than elaborate responses to artistic challenges.

There's a lot of it in drum corps.

I think there's more of it in DCA than in DCI, speaking generally.

But could any drum corps in either circuit get away with a guard that used no equipment? Probably not. It wouldn't be challenging enough. (And maybe it wouldn't be as effective as in that band video in part because there's more time to fill.)

A minimalist program would be welcome from an audience perspective. However, as someone above so wisely pointed out, it's becoming a circus. Each caption seems to reward the "circus" effect more than the minimalist effect.

Phantom removing guard equipment with today's sheets? The audience might like it, but the judges? I don't see it.

A minimalist program would be welcome from an audience perspective. However, as someone above so wisely pointed out, it's becoming a circus. Each caption seems to reward the "circus" effect more than the minimalist effect.

Phantom removing guard equipment with today's sheets? The audience might like it, but the judges? I don't see it.

It's all a bit circular though, isn't it? The judges work for DCI, which effects the collective decisions of the corps, so ultimately the corps could decide that such an approach was acceptable, if they wanted to. Apparently they don't want to. Is that because they think audiences won't like it, or for other reasons?

It's all a bit circular though, isn't it? The judges work for DCI, which effects the collective decisions of the corps, so ultimately the corps could decide that such an approach was acceptable, if they wanted to. Apparently they don't want to. Is that because they think audiences won't like it, or for other reasons?

I'm absolutely convinced that 1. you're correct in your assessment, and 2. current designers are more enamored (squirrel!) with the shiny new toys and utilizing them to proactively hide poor execution and gather points from bedazzled GE.

Some think that there should be no limits at all on anything except show time (winking at you MikeD), but I believe that limitations, either natural or imposed, inspire creativity. SFA's performance above is spectacular because it doesn't rely on props or other "crutches" to make it so. It's just great design, taking advantage of wonderful uniforms style, incredibly precise and beautiful "guard" work, and fabulous execution of both music and movement on the part of the MM's. Nothing more.

Can it win against Go-carts? Probably not today but, hopefully, next Thursday when the sun goes down and the suffering ends.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Star couldn't get away with it in 1993. Today I'd argue it is far more difficult than it was even back then. "the show needs more color" Barf!

I'm going to push back here until I can get you to qualify your statement, and find out if our definition of "minimalist" is the same.

In the arms race that is DCI, there's minimalism? I'm sure you'll give me an apt example, but I'll likely contend that it's only by design and intent, not the natural state. It used to be that minimalism was the norm; now it's the programed exception from the normal state - the state of arms acceleration.

You look at what that band presented in very high quality, without a single prop or toy - did you notice the size of the pit? - you'll be hard pressed to show "minimalism" in DCI. Even down deep into the ranks of Open Class - props, traps, pyramids, stages, execution chambers, squares, circles, boxes, ramps, lights... - these are the things defining "Quality Entertainment through Competition" in today's world.

Austin's band shows that you really don't need to have an arms race - if it's truly judged on the build-up system of merits of achievement alone. Even under a superficial judgement, I looked at a couple of early-season videos I found and this show improved and was modified and improved all season. I'm no judge, but I'd suggest they played their darn-near best show that night. But could it win on its achievement?

Not during an arms race.

(Sorry, Kamarag, not all that was directed at your opinion specifically, but at the situation generally. I feel better.)