Which corps have full medical staffs for tour? (not just trainers)

I'm interested to know which corps have a 24/7 nurse or medical staff???

I'm interested to know which corps have a 24/7 nurse or medical staff???

The last year that I was on the road with Spirit (2013), we were very fortunate to have a couple of medically-trained dads who were able to split up the tour. One was a fire chief with extensive EMT training, and the other, a doctor, worked for the U.S.Dept. of Public Health, specializing in emergency and disaster operations.

For twenty five years, Joan Borden served as nurse extraordinary for Cadets, just as Mary Thomas did for 27th Lancers and Mike Turner's (not the current judge) Mom did for Cavaliers. Rick Vale and Dr. Ray King have been at camps and corps summer performances for Cadets, Dr.Mike Wiggins (RIP) for Cavies.

Most corps do have at least a nurse, some EMT personnel, and in the case of Cavies and Phantom often a doctor or two. There's the great story about how Dr. Pitts, Will's father, saved the day and the featured dancer for Phantom the night going into the April in Paris championship.

No need to worry. DCI even has a medical committee to insure that each corps and its MMs are well. Corps have even been quarantined out of contests as in the case of Crown and Cavies.

Edited by xandandl

For twenty five years, Joan Borden served as nurse extraordinary for Cadets, just as Mary Thomas did for 27th Lancers and Mike Taylor's Mom did for Cavaliers. Rick Vale and Dr. Ray King have been at camps and corps summer performances for Cadets, Dr.Mike Wiggins (RIP) for Cavies.

Most corps do have at least a nurse, some EMT personnel, and in the case of Cavies and Phantom often a doctor or two. There's the great story about how Dr. Pitts, Will's father, saved the day and the featured dancer for Phantom the night going into the April in Paris championship.

No need to worry. DCI even has a medical committee to insure that each corps and its MMs are well. Corps have even been quarantined out of contests as in the case of Crown and Cavies.

Joan Borden was our nurse in 27th too.

Joan Borden was our nurse in 27th too.

yes, for the short while her daughter was there; her stints at Avant Garde and L.I. Kingsmen preceded that.

We once joked with her how many zillions of band-aids and etc. she distributed during "her" DCI career. She was named DCI's Volunteer of the Year one season; well deserved.

P.S. I forgot to credit Mrs. Laurie Van Doren who was the nurse for Carolina Crown the years Evan and Carrie marched. Mrs. DVD had much to do with starting the DCI Medical Committee.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

yes, for the short while her daughter was there; her stints at Avant Garde and L.I. Kingsmen preceded that.

We once joked with her how many zillions of band-aids and etc. she distributed during "her" DCI career. She was named DCI's Volunteer of the Year one season; well deserved.

P.S. I forgot to credit Mrs. Laurie Van Doren who was the nurse for Carolina Crown the years Evan and Carrie marched. Mrs. DVD had much to do with starting the DCI Medical Committee.

Suzanne Borden was actually in 27th for 4 seasons.

The Blue Devils have a Health and Wellness Team that includes physical therapists, paramedics, nurses, and doctors (many of whom are alumni).

Yep...Tom Wellbrook is a chiropracter (French horn in 82-84 BD....marched with him in 84)

Darrek Mullins was (I think) a bari in BD....wanna say he started in 86. Aged out as lead DM in 90.