2017 Show Theme Announcements and Musical Selections

As announced on Reddit,

PIONEER CORPS

Our 56th Season!

For 2017, the Irish go Broadway! The production is called, “Irish 24601.” It is based on the character Jean Valjean from the musical, “Les Miserables.” The rumor is that he was 50% Irish from his mother’s side. The title of our show 24601, was his prisoner number for 19 years.

The well-known musical has been used by several corps and bands, but by using by only a part of it with lots of clever imagination, the corps’ design team plans to make it another audience-pleasing production, Pioneer version.

They then announce their faculty for 2017.

Mods might want to pin the thread. Tis the season.

Edited by xandandl

As announced on Reddit,

PIONEER CORPS

Our 56th Season!

For 2017, the Irish go Broadway! The production is called, “Irish 24601.” It is based on the character Jean Valjean from the musical, “Les Miserables.” The rumor is that he was 50% Irish from his mother’s side. The title of our show 24601, was his prisoner number for 19 years.

The well-known musical has been used by several corps and bands, but by using by only a part of it with lots of clever imagination, the corps’ design team plans to make it another audience-pleasing production, Pioneer version.

They then announce their faculty for 2017.

At some point they need to evolve.

First they're using music that has been used, and very memorably, by corps at all levels, and countless bands. I do appreciate that they recognize that point, but unless they plan on using musical selections from the show that haven't been put on the field, then there's nothing new.

Second, they're going to pull one central character out as the focus which will invent a new concept? I just don't see it working. As much as I loved the Judas show Madison did this year, and I really do enjoy it, I think it's a hard sell.

Third, at what point are they going to move on from the Irish thing. I realize that is their schtick, but I can't see it helping their talent level or recruiting attempts by continuously looking for something to simply make their shows "Irish."

At some point they need to evolve.

First they're using music that has been used, and very memorably, by corps at all levels, and countless bands. I do appreciate that they recognize that point, but unless they plan on using musical selections from the show that haven't been put on the field, then there's nothing new.

Second, they're going to pull one central character out as the focus which will invent a new concept? I just don't see it working. As much as I loved the Judas show Madison did this year, and I really do enjoy it, I think it's a hard sell.

Third, at what point are they going to move on from the Irish thing. I realize that is their schtick, but I can't see it helping their talent level or recruiting attempts by continuously looking for something to simply make their shows "Irish."

And yet, someone reacting to your statements about a corps which began from St. Patrick's Imperials (and St. Matthias Thunderbolts) might think it odd that you don't level the same criticism when speaking about Madison Scouts always doing a macho-motivated show. You might retort, "Well that's who they are." They respond, "Ditto, here." And nothing would be solved by the rantings.

Double standards should be restricted to the 2016 electoral process, not drum corps.

And yet, someone reacting to your statements about a corps which began from St. Patrick's Imperials (and St. Matthias Thunderbolts) might think it odd that you don't level the same criticism when speaking about Madison Scouts always doing a macho-motivated show. You might retort, "Well that's who they are." They respond, "Ditto, here." And nothing would be solved by the rantings.

Double standards should be restricted to the 2016 electoral process, not drum corps.

It's so amusing how you must always chime in with some aspect that means virtually nothing in this day and age, and engage in your self-imposed pissing contest and historical information that you need to spew out.

As for the history lesson you feel the need to always puke out, your history on Pioneer is debatable at best, as it wasn't until about 1991 when their shows became predominantly centered on Irish themes. That is, of course, if we look at their repertoire from both corpsreps.com and wikipedia. Not to mention that their uniforms, both in color and clover emblem, etc. did not have the predominant Irish references until the mid-1990's.

As far as the St. Patrick's Imperials and Thunderbolts, and the beginning of what would become Pioneer. It is true that the St. Patrick's parish began as predominantly Irish, however, by the time the corps evolved, the congregation had shifted away from this. Furthermore, the Thunderbolts were not founded by the St. Matthias parish, but rather by the band director at Cedarburg High School, which began as the Cedarburg High School Drum and Bugle Corps, eventually turning into the Mercury Thunderbolts, never officially having the name "St. Matthias Thunderbolts." Also, never being a predominantly Irish congregation.

I do appreciate your attempt at throwing out your names and dates as though the rest of us are too ignorant, or not educated on corps history, it is quite amusing.

Onto Madison though. The Madison Scouts were started from a local Explorer Scout Chapter in the Madison area, and their members have been virtually all male, unless we add the guest performers, as well as members of the MDBCA corps that have allowed females, Southwind and Capitial Sound.

But if we focus our attention on the Madison Scouts, their historic basis as an organization as being all male, lends itself to doing "macho-motivated" shows as you stated. That being said, however, is an invalid point, in that they have done many shows throughout their history of varied styles, and have rarely, if ever, had shows that designed as being "macho-motivated."

This does make me curious though, what shows from Madison do you feel were designed as "macho-motivated" as the center of the design philosophy?

That being asked, I am sure you will not answer my question, and will instead fire off some names and dates about your vast knowledge of all things drum corps trying to prove me wrong, and not give a response about which shows of Madison's have been designed on the foundation of being "macho-motivated."

See, it's not a double standard as you say, unless you look at it with the blinders on, as is usually the case.

Edited by tesmusic

This does make me curious though, what shows from Madison do you feel were designed as "macho-motivated" as the center of the design philosophy?

To confirm, I just checked CorpsReps, and Madison has NOT yet performed the Village People's Macho Man, nor have they done a show theme based upon the life and death of Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

• Like 3

To confirm, I just checked CorpsReps, and Madison has NOT yet performed the Village People's Macho Man, nor have they done a show theme based upon the life and death of Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

You haven't heard this year's theme yet...

This is exactly why we can't have nice things.

He's right. My bad. Dorothy and Oz wasn't very macho.

Boy, talk about someone upset because he's not allowed out trick or treating!

Now back to 2017 show announcements.

Edited by xandandl

He's right. My bad. Alice in Wonderland wasn't very macho.

Boy, talk about someone upset because he's not allowed out trick or treating!

Cute, incapable of answering simple questions with actual answers, and then following it with an attempt at calling me childish and/or young.

Almost as adorable as when you critique the wording and punctuation of some posters, but only yourself to those same standards when it's convenient.

Maybe I should pull one from your playbook though and claim cyber bullying on your post.

No, I'll just see if you have the information that backs up your assumptions about Madison show themes and their foundations.

• Like 1

Sorry but I beat you to it...my thread was posted on August 16, 2016 for this purpose.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/165037-2017-programs-playlist/