Isn't is time for the 2017 schedule to be released?

Part of that is traveling. They go from the bottom of the west coast to the top in Seattle. Then head east. Plus their System Blue clinics.

Others in the past have mentioned they like the corps to get extra rest which allows more cleaning time.

Part of that is traveling. They go from the bottom of the west coast to the top in Seattle. Then head east. Plus their System Blue clinics.

Not really travel as SCV and PR both at 29. I'm not objecting -- it's smart if you can afford to lose those appearance fees. And the way those clinics are run, they're pretty much practice days :-)

IMO BD sets their performers up for success. They are well-rehearsed and well-rested when Indy rolls around. I think many corps overlook the impact that rest has on a performer's ability to absorb changes (ie get better). You can beat yourself to death 16 hrs a day and not improve OR you can rest your performers well and be super productive at each hour of rehearsal.

Not really travel as SCV and PR both at 29. I'm not objecting -- it's smart if you can afford to lose those appearance fees. And the way those clinics are run, they're pretty much practice days :-)

IMO BD sets their performers up for success. They are well-rehearsed and well-rested when Indy rolls around. I think many corps overlook the impact that rest has on a performer's ability to absorb changes (ie get better). You can beat yourself to death 16 hrs a day and not improve OR you can rest your performers well and be super productive at each hour of rehearsal.

Good for them if it makes sense for their success. Surprised other don't follow if that is the case.

After going to the MN marching band finals (aka Youth in Music) at the new Vikings stadium this year, I was really hoping for a DCI presence there ... but TCF Bank Stadium is still a fantastic venue in a fantastic neighborhood. It's also close to the Surly Brewery, so there's that.

Regarding US Bank Stadium: the acoustics weren't perfect, but much better compared most older domed stadiums (i.e. Alamodome). I've still never been to Lucas Oil, so I can't compare the new Vikes stadium to Indy. Because US Bank is so large, there isn't as much of an echo. However: if you're not facing directly toward the ensemble (if you're outside the 10s/endzone), the cavernous setting will drink up sound. The upper deck was closed off during the YIM show, so I'm not sure what the acoustics are like there.

Otherwise: it's a great, wide-open venue. I would love to see a show there someday. Just to see warmups happening in a downtown metro area like that would be incredibly cool. The east side of downtown is steadily improving, too.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

The poster that I was responding to said: "Too bad they couldn't beef that show up since they lost the GA dome and put the Minnesota show in a climate controlled palace where the Vikings play."

I responded to his statement. I agree that the show will still be in Dinkytown, not cross-town.

Ah okay. My bad.

Good for them if it makes sense for their success. Surprised other don't follow if that is the case.

Everybody has their own theory about how to do drum corps. IMO BD has it figured out. (although I do think their crazy spring training housing is more of a crazy tradition than any thing else. far more efficient to do the whole dorm / college campus thing. ) I will grant you that their model only works with their performer base. Wouldn't work with a bunch of high schoolers. In fact you need all the parts they bring (on field staff who can work independently when they are given the time, etc...)

But if you think about what efficiency means (useful work per unit of energy expended) why would you spend energy on things that don't make you better? Watch a BD rehearsal -- when they are not performing they are relaxed. When the box thinks something can be worked out better on the field, they just say "hey field person -- fix that" (and everyone else is immediately working on sectional stuff too). It's kind of mind-blowing how much they get done in so little time. They don't waste a second of rehearsal time (even though it appears at first glance everyone is just chilling).

A lot to be learned by watching how that corps rehearses (even if you apply the knowledge in a different way).

Edited by corpsband

Yes world class forum blah blah...

But that Open Class lineup at finals is incredibly exciting. Guardians, Shadow, Louisiana Stars, and River City Rhythm are ALL coming back. And in addition we have the return of Southwind which is incredibly exciting. And we have The Company attending which despite previous discussion about...I am incredibly pumped about.

Love all these new names.

• Like 2

Yes world class forum blah blah...

But that Open Class lineup at finals is incredibly exciting. Guardians, Shadow, Louisiana Stars, and River City Rhythm are ALL coming back. And in addition we have the return of Southwind which is incredibly exciting. And we have The Company attending which despite previous discussion about...I am incredibly pumped about.

Love all these new names.

Very excited to go to Open Class prelims for the first time! Perfect way to age out.

So the Nashville show is back at Vandy, but with one less performing corps. Knights come back but Scouts do not. I wonder if the new Alabama show on the same night will balance the Nashville show and feature the other likely finalists.

I don't see that many shows in NE this year...bummer