Finals DVD/BR Viewing: Some Thoughts

Any licensing edits this year?

A brief edit in The Academy's opener and the jingles in The Cavaliers' closer are muted. Check out TRBlair's post in the Pre-order thread for more details, but the edits aren't too bad.

A brief edit in The Academy's opener and the jingles in The Cavaliers' closer are muted. Check out TRBlair's post in the Pre-order thread for more details, but the edits aren't too bad.

I agree. Given the constraints, I think the team behind the finals videos did an excellent job. More generally, there are a few choices I would prefer they have made differently when editing the multi-cam versions. But that's not a complaint. Overall, it's a very good product.

Good point. I was annoyed by that, too. But also wondered if she would be considered more like a member of the pit, and so remaining stationary might be more acceptable.

I agree; I think that type of thing has been traditionally staged in the front ensemble area, so having the string soloist staged on the field to attempt to create something more interesting visually is compelling. I don't recall their show too much so I don't remember if those soloists (trumpet & violin) interacted with other characters, did a lot of posing and such, etc. I assume they likely did but don't remember how effective it was

I watched most of the 12 again and apparently don't mind the mild narcissism of posting mostly to myself:

• Great to have available both the multi-cam and high cam versions. I like both, but prefer the high cam.
  • Just in case show designers out there are looking to me for last-minute tips: I never get excited by the solo guard member off on their own doing a ballet dancing thing. Actually, it's not lack of excitement. I just don't understand it. I need that to be very poignant - not just in way that is academically correct to the theme, but to the show itself.
  • Keep enjoying Crown and SCV more and more. Still enjoy the Bluecoats show and admire what they did. But it's also beginning to look sloppy in places to me.
  • For me, as just a lowly amateur and fan, I get a little weary when I have to use Wikipedia to try to connect the theme with what I'm seeing on the field. (But I now know that Steve Wynn put his elbow through a Picasso.) I might just be a doofus, but what value was added by that lady in the lampshade costume?
  • Really appreciate Phantom's music and the work of the featured horns. Wish the show had been more memorable overall.

I appreciate your comments. I have only watched those shows one time, on the Finals live stream. In regards to your comments about Bluecoats (and everyone), I think a show like that is meant to mostly be a one-time consumption: as are most shows, I suspect. I know the judging community would see their show several times over the summer, and fans that live more central to the DCI Tour or who travel a lot will see more nuance or whatnot. But I think in general these shows might not be meant to be scrutinized after-the-fact, and are designed more to be a visceral, in-the-moment type of performance experience. Obvious and incredible design and performance will hold up splendidly, but I think in general these things are mostly best to enjoy live and not to over-analyze too much (unless, say, you're actively attempting to look for nuance, or seek explanations to subtle design bits, etc).

I appreciate your comments. I have only watched those shows one time, on the Finals live stream. In regards to your comments about Bluecoats (and everyone), I think a show like that is meant to mostly be a one-time consumption: as are most shows, I suspect. I know the judging community would see their show several times over the summer, and fans that live more central to the DCI Tour or who travel a lot will see more nuance or whatnot. But I think in general these shows might not be meant to be scrutinized after-the-fact, and are designed more to be a visceral, in-the-moment type of performance experience. Obvious and incredible design and performance will hold up splendidly, but I think in general these things are mostly best to enjoy live and not to over-analyze too much (unless, say, you're actively attempting to look for nuance, or seek explanations to subtle design bits, etc).

I agree with your take on Bluecoats show. It's very visceral, and it is easy to overlook flaws when you first watch it.

On the flip side of that, I just watched SCV hi-cam from finals for the first time. That show is so beautifully designed, and I catch something new and subtle each time I watch. There is a lot more depth to that show than you see on a first viewing, and only by rewatching can you see the whole depth of the show.

To keep in line with the thread, I purchased the video download for SCV (boy, that's pricy) and the audio bundle. I have to say, the video is hands-down the best quality digital video I've ever seen from DCI. One word of warning: make sure your system can handle huge HQ video files. Even on my tricked out iMac retina, there was occasionally some frame skipping.

The inclusion of lossless files in the audio bundle was a surprise gift. They sound lovely, and there's lots of hidden nuance in the audio that you'd miss if you don't have high quality headphones or sound system.

To keep in line with the thread, I purchased the video download for SCV (boy, that's pricy) and the audio bundle. I have to say, the video is hands-down the best quality digital video I've ever seen from DCI. One word of warning: make sure your system can handle huge HQ video files. Even on my tricked out iMac retina, there was occasionally some frame skipping.

The inclusion of lossless files in the audio bundle was a surprise gift. They sound lovely, and there's lots of hidden nuance in the audio that you'd miss if you don't have high quality headphones or sound system.

Is the volume any better than the stream? I REALLY wanna crank Academy, but even at full blast, it's kinda subdued.

Is the volume any better than the stream? I REALLY wanna crank Academy, but even at full blast, it's kinda subdued.

I'd say it's a touch louder, but I think the real change is clarity. The mix is a bit different too, you can hear different voices in the audio vs the stream.

I do have to say that I prefer older recordings, to about 2006. It seems that they're more... powerful. And clear. I feel this is due to 2 things: the increasing presence of amplification and synth, and the move from outdoor to indoor championships.

I think I'll write something more in depth about this soon.

• Like 1

The experience of being immersed in the absolute fun that The Bluecoats are having is still such a raw and visceral thing that is difficult to compare to what comes before it. New angles. Better video and sound. So much fun.

Edited by mingusmonk

I'd say it's a touch louder, but I think the real change is clarity. The mix is a bit different too, you can hear different voices in the audio vs the stream.

I do have to say that I prefer older recordings, to about 2006. It seems that they're more... powerful. And clear. I feel this is due to 2 things: the increasing presence of amplification and synth, and the move from outdoor to indoor championships.

I think I'll write something more in depth about this soon.

I happened to notice one particular mellophone thing in Force of Nature where the mellophones had a slow trill thing during a loud chord that I had never noticed until I heard the Blu-Ray version. So big yes on the clarity and voicing thing. And that's just one instance of this that comes to mind.