Finals DVD/BR Viewing: Some Thoughts

I remember picking up on that mello bit for the first time when seeing them live. There's tons of mello and tenors nuances throughout the show.

I agree; I think that type of thing has been traditionally staged in the front ensemble area, so having the string soloist staged on the field to attempt to create something more interesting visually is compelling. I don't recall their show too much so I don't remember if those soloists (trumpet & violin) interacted with other characters, did a lot of posing and such, etc. I assume they likely did but don't remember how effective it was

The violinist actually was on one of the on-field props in the beginning and did poses when not playing. They moved her to the sideline early in the season.

• Like 1

A brief edit in The Academy's opener...

Yeah....they had to edit out the Corpse Bride theme....fortunately, I have the finals stream for prelims and finals AND just downloaded the video on demand....I think I'll spend sometime editing them together.

If Tim Burton doesn't like it, too #### bad.

• Like 5

It was so easy to ignore it while watching live. But it was there -- everywhere.

GE is king...

I appreciate your comments. I have only watched those shows one time, on the Finals live stream. In regards to your comments about Bluecoats (and everyone), I think a show like that is meant to mostly be a one-time consumption: as are most shows, I suspect. I know the judging community would see their show several times over the summer, and fans that live more central to the DCI Tour or who travel a lot will see more nuance or whatnot. But I think in general these shows might not be meant to be scrutinized after-the-fact, and are designed more to be a visceral, in-the-moment type of performance experience. Obvious and incredible design and performance will hold up splendidly, but I think in general these things are mostly best to enjoy live and not to over-analyze too much (unless, say, you're actively attempting to look for nuance, or seek explanations to subtle design bits, etc).

Good point on the Bluecoats's show. That perspective might explain a lot about how I am responding after view it a few times.

This is surely true of other shows, but I don't know about "most" shows. There are a lot of good field shows that hold up well over time and after multiple viewings. Good drill, music, overall visuals and GE. You seem to say that, too, I think. So again, thanks for the different perspective to consider.

And to make sure it's clear: I still really like watching and listening to the Bluecoats's show. But sure, if I get very analytical about it, I see some messiness now that I didn't earlier. Especially compared to #s 2, 3, and 4.

As holiday gift unwrapping draws closer, you have this to look forward to:

• Best use of trombones: Blue Devils
  • Most effective use of long hair in the guard: Blue Devils

Currently making my way through everyone...have finally gotten through the non finalists. Personal standouts for my tastes were:

Madison Scouts

Blue Devils B

Mandarins

Oregon Crusaders

Pacific Crest

Vanguard Cadets

Seattle Cascades

Legends

Edited by DrumManTx

I'll add a few comments about the CD's.

1. This is the first time I've actually bought the physical copies of the available audio product. Previously I had only bought the downloadable mp3s. I think the CD's are actually better both in listening on my computer through headphones and listening in my car. It sounds OUTSTANDING!!

2. There are a couple times during Bluecoats' show where there is a nearly overwhelming bass drone. The first is early on in the show and doesn't last long. The second is just before the final push of the show and last much longer and is MUCH worse. All of the corps are pumping some bass through a subwoofer nowadays but this only shows up in the recording of Bluecoats. I have not noticed it on the blu-ray so I don't think it has anything to do with speaker placement or the odd way they set up their front ensemble. I think it is an issue with the mix for the cd. It's unfortunate but it's not enough to make me not listen to their show either.

3. During the edited section of The Cavaliers show where they essentially muted just the jingles and not the rest of the corps, as Tom Blair explained in the other thread, you can actually still hear the Meow Mix jingle. It's faint but it is there. I assume other mics picked it up and they wanted to avoid having to remove that section of the show entirely.