2017 Colts

14 minutes ago, mr.mello said:

While I'm not that big into rehashed shows, I would love to see anyone do this again.

I'd like to see some Rutter on the field again (checks corpsreps -- Legend and Pioneer only corps to use recently) .  And Magnificat worked very, very well.  

• Like 2

On Thursday, January 05, 2017 at 9:12 AM, corpsband said:

Getting in to finals is becoming increasingly difficult!   Quality continues to increase.

Definitely agree, you know its bad when Madison isnt un finals.

One thing I'm that I'm very excited about the Colts this year, is the strength of the organization.  Under current leadership, the Colts Youth Organization has retired old debt, took the corps in a new competitive direction, and are now working in a new headquarters.  If you haven't been keeping up with their #WarehouseWedneday posts, you should. It's great to see them transition into a very workable space for the long term.

The corps is also attempting to organize their alumni base through an Alumni Steering Committee to create an Alumni Board.  This is something that the corps desperately needs to move into the next left.

All of these thing may not mean that the Colts make finals this year, but organizational stability can only help you in the long term.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, corpsband said:

I'd like to see some Rutter on the field again (checks corpsreps -- Legend and Pioneer only corps to use recently) .  And Magnificat worked very, very well.  

Cavaliers in 1989 (Gloria Mvts 1-3) introduced me to Rutter.  I absolutely loved the Colts' Magnificat.  Can you imagine what today's brass lines could do with it?  (Or for that matter, an updated version of their "Voices" show?)

Mike

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Cavaliers in 1989 (Gloria Mvts 1-3) introduced me to Rutter.  I absolutely loved the Colts' Magnificat.  Can you imagine what today's brass lines could do with it?  (Or for that matter, an updated version of their "Voices" show?)

Mike

Yes!  My gut reaction is always to poo-poo a rehash but you're exactly right about today's brass lines bringing an entirely different show with  music that's already been on the field.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Yes!  My gut reaction is always to poo-poo a rehash but you're exactly right about today's brass lines bringing an entirely different show with  music that's already been on the field.  

I second or third or whatever a Rutter resurrection.   

On 1/7/2017 at 10:45 AM, goodmello said:

One thing I'm that I'm very excited about the Colts this year, is the strength of the organization.  Under current leadership, the Colts Youth Organization has retired old debt, took the corps in a new competitive direction, and are now working in a new headquarters.  If you haven't been keeping up with their #WarehouseWedneday posts, you should. It's great to see them transition into a very workable space for the long term.

The corps is also attempting to organize their alumni base through an Alumni Steering Committee to create an Alumni Board.  This is something that the corps desperately needs to move into the next left.

All of these thing may not mean that the Colts make finals this year, but organizational stability can only help you in the long term.

Please explain how the "old debt" was generated. Also, explain how it was retired.

The corps has increased its summer staff significantly over the past three years and it's salaried staff to four full time employees. Seriously, four full time employees!?

2 hours ago, AlanAndreasen said:

Please explain how the "old debt" was generated. Also, explain how it was retired.

The corps has increased its summer staff significantly over the past three years and it's salaried staff to four full time employees. Seriously, four full time employees!?

Your profile says you're from Dubuque, so I assume you've had some ties with the corps, or you still do.  If this is true, then asking about this information in a public setting like this means that you disagree with me??...

As to the debt, I have never been at a position of financial knowledge with the corps, so I honestly can't tell you how the debt was accumulated. I assume it happened the same way other corps accumulate debt...  I can say that when DCI has released financial information about corps, the Colts use to be in the red.  Also, since I am around the corps from time to time now-a-days, I have heard many comment about retiring debt around the years that the current leadership arrived.

Also, I don't understand.  Are you arguing against 4 full time employees?  Two corps directors (for two corps), a executive director, and media/tour director?  As someone who has been around the new location from time to time, I deeply believe that each of these positions are necessary.  As to the educational staff, most of the staff rotate throughout the summer, so even thought there is a large amount of staff, few of them on are on tour at the same time.  Again, is that not okay with you?

Either we are going to disagree, or we actually agree and I misread the intentions of your comment.

• 3 months later...

Well, since no one has talked about it yet, I'll say that this sounds like a clear step up from last year for them.

• Like 1