Do You Remember .......

1963...the local GSC corps sponsored by the VFW post my dad belonged to (Livingston NJ Hilltoppers) used to host a 'class A' show in September. I was a judge runner at the show, sitting at field level and running out to pick up "my" judge's sheet after each corps. I had started taking drum lessons the year before in 4th grade, and dad signed me into the Hilltoppers feeder corps after the 63 season. That was my start.

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1963328

That is the show that started it all!

Edited by MikeD

• 2 months later...

1978 I thick. It was us open Muchachos were three, and when they marched off, they blew off  fire extinguishers an I think firecrackers as soon as they stepped off. Great fun!?

• 1 month later...

Hearing the opening notes of Cavaliers' "Bully" in 1967, and never looked back.

• Like 1

Thought I'd dust off my photo hosting account...a photograph of what I found a few weeks ago in a closet...looks like the trophy needs dusting too along with my mind...I don't remember this contest but apparently I was there...cool ;)

z-IMG_4182-25_zpsqc05uyng.jpg

Linda, it was probably the NT Open in North Tonawanda, NY.

1. Blue Devils  ..................................81.90

2. Cavaliers......................................78.40

3. Regimente Militaire.....................74.55 (Best CG)

4. Squires........................................68.35

5. Precisionaires..............................66.95

6. Pioneer........................................64.40

7. Seneca Princemen......................63.80 (Best DM)

8. Charioteers..................................63.15

9. Argonne Rebels..........................61.00

10. Iron Brigade..............................50.4

Mark Twain Cadets (54.05) won "A" Class followed by Floridians and Royal Coachmen

• 1 month later...

July 4th weekend 1964- Oswego, NY  I had the pleasure of watching the Syracuse Brigadiers, Rochester Crusaders, Fulton Gauchos Sr., Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots, Albion Grenadiers, Hamburg Kingsmen, and Canadian Commanders in the 3 hour long parade.  Then, early that evening, they all competed on the grounds of historic Ft. Ontario.

Cru won; Brigs 2nd, etc.

I WAS HOOKED FOR LIFE !!!

• 4 weeks later...

1975 US Open in Marion, Ohio; I heard the Madison Scouts from the top of the stadium on the 50 yard line.  I was mesmerized.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since I was very young, I wanted to be in band, and march in parades, wearing a Busby (which never happened). In 1975, my middle school band director added a rifle line to our parade unit, and I became their captain. My band director showed us a video of the '75 PBS broadcast of the DCI finals. Since then, I have been in love with drum corps, but I thought it would never happen to me, being there were no nearby corps.  My freshman year of college, (my school had no band) 1980, I was walking on campus when I heard the familiar sounds of DCI. I had to find and speak to this person, who shared the same passion. The girl marched in the drumline of the 1980 Imperial Guard (and she is still drumming in her own band today). I joined the Imperial Guard in '81. 

• Like 2