DCA Rules Congress

>>We used to pick up the New Year's Day parade on a Philly TV station from time to time. The reception wasn't great where we lived in central NJ... it often involved the old "aluminum foil on the antenna" thing to try for a better signal. :tongue:

I love Mummers bands. But trying to explain them to people who are not from the Philly/NJ area... not easy. LOL<<

In, CT, the NY Metro stations showed the Macy's NYC parade on NBC ... on CBS, they flipped between four parades: Toronto, Detroit, Philly and NYC ... quite a mix of performers ...

Regarding mummers, they became so popular in Bridgeport's Barnum Festival parade (4th of July) that they had their own Field Competition in 1964 ... quite a spectacle ...

:-)

• Like 1

Always liked the hummers! All those balls jingling.....or were they just medals? Saw them in Niagara Falls once.

>>We used to pick up the New Year's Day parade on a Philly TV station from time to time. The reception wasn't great where we lived in central NJ... it often involved the old "aluminum foil on the antenna" thing to try for a better signal. :tongue:

I love Mummers bands. But trying to explain them to people who are not from the Philly/NJ area... not easy. LOL<<

In, CT, the NY Metro stations showed the Macy's NYC parade on NBC ... on CBS, they flipped between four parades: Toronto, Detroit, Philly and NYC ... quite a mix of performers ...

Regarding mummers, they became so popular in Bridgeport's Barnum Festival parade (4th of July) that they had their own Field Competition in 1964 ... quite a spectacle ...

:-)

They sure were , until they priced themselves so far out of this world!

Mid-1980s, I had friends in the Bridgeport area whose daughter was involved in the opening ceremonies of the Barnum Festival show, so they invited me up to watch the show with them... first time I had actually seen the entire show as a spectator. Heck, my friends had VIP tickets, so I couldn't say no. LOL.

Anyhow... a Mummers band was part of the opening ceremonies, and they brought the house down. You're right... quite popular up there.

OK... sorry for the "thread hijack" here.

Back to our regularly-scheduled topic. LOL.

with using an amp, you no longer have to overblow the horn and change the timbre for a solo. you can play a soft solo and still be heard.

now, how about getting a few trombone lines in there.

Or, how about using splitters, Ring Modulators, or even an echoplex like Don Ellis did 45 years ago. :satisfied:

French Horns=Beautiful. Football field=meh

Trombones=Awesome. Marching with them, Not so much.

Sousaphones, Look nice, Sousa is my hero. Tubas on a shoulder are better.

With this in mind , I kinda agree with cixelsyd.

Actually Back when DCA was actually promoting Smaller Start up corps I thought that Trombones and Sousa's SHOULD have been legal. Just about every small startup SR DCA corps back then could get up off the ground without having to go out and buy Expensive Baris and Contras.

Of course now they are approving them for a "effect" (barf) reason. Not to help out start up corps.

Edited by camel lips

if it works, or effects are added, ok!

Bah Humbug

• Like 1

with using an amp, you no longer have to overblow the horn and change the timbre for a solo. you can play a soft solo and still be heard.

now, how about getting a few trombone lines in there.

Enjoy your trombones.

• Like 2

Actually Back when DCA was actually promoting Smaller Start up corps I thought that Trombones and Sousa's SHOULD have been legal. Just about every small startup SR DCA corps back then could get up off the ground without having to go out and buy Expensive Baris and Contras.

Of course now they are approving them for a "effect" (barf) reason. Not to help out start up corps.

Nice try, but you've whiffed yet again.

Helping new start-up corps was actually one of the benefits to the any brass proposal, and was discussed in the room by the instructor's caucus before it was forwarded to the directors for the vote.

• Like 1