Informal Survey - Did your kids join a drum corp?

As a member of a drum corp in the sixties, did your children have an interest or ever join a drum and bugle corp. I had two girls and the had no interest in drum corps. What was your experience?

My sons had zero interest! Oldest had an opportunity to march Blue Stars about 11 years ago and said No! My youngest was a baseball player plus a baritone sax player.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter marched one season in the color guard of a DCA corps - the Sunrisers. She hated it. She says she is just not cut out to be in the sun all day. She still loves spinning and continues to march in a winter guard.

My daughter marched one season in the color guard of a DCA corps - the Sunrisers. She hated it. She says she is just not cut out to be in the sun all day. She still loves spinning and continues to march in a winter guard.

OK... would that be "She says she is just not cut out to be in the sun all day".... or "in the Sun all day"??? :tongue:

• Like 1

15 year old Son is currently marching Shadow from Oregon WI 2017 will be his second season. His older brother showed interest in Colt cadets but was not ready in maturity and then lost interest. I marched in the 70's and 80's in Pages of the Wausau Story, Wausau Story, and St. Croix Rivermen.

• Like 1

many didn't even know that my oldest son (Dan) existed... he NEVER even came around corps...

both of his sisters (Sara Peashey Mascari and Sue Peashey Hammerle) did color guard (Patriots, Crusaders, Brigadiers) and winter guard (Patriots) then went on to become instructors themselves only stopping to have babies...

• 2 weeks later...

My son (now 36) played tuba through HS and into college. He was in our competitive marching band all through HS. He went to a couple of corps shows with me, but he never really expressed any interest in joining one.

My daughter (now 31), was a percussionist all through HS and University, and even beyond. She liked drum corps shows more than my son, ut she never really expressed much interest in marching one. She was inour  HS MB for five years. She marched as a sax hole filler as an 8th grader when a player quite after the visual was done. marched bass drum in 9th and 10th grades (section leader in 10th grade in a young band), and was drum major 11th and 12 grade, marching snare in 11th and pit in 12th when not on the podium.