Electronics, Costumes, Tarps, and Props...

...are the MSG of drum corps. Highly addictive and added to otherwise wholesome and pure meals, it draws you in to pay for more even when you know it's bad for you. You don't know why you like it, but you want more. And it's the "more" that rots away the tastebuds and the soul.

Mics all over the field, amps and speakers and ear pieces removing the requirement of listening "in". "Phasing" is forever locked thanks to speaker placement. Analog sounds are made to be in tune thanks to mixing boards and iPad balances. Some instrument lines are rendered replaceable with a single push of a key. "It's all good!", we proclaim as the intoxicating effects of the drug rush into the brain. We want more, Caligula-style, until the artificial additive finally chokes off our taste buds; we're no longer tasting the product - only the additive.

The MSG of drum corps is the infiltration of automated electronic execution in the name of entertainment and ticket sales.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 6

...are the MSG of drum corps. Highly addictive and added to otherwise wholesome and pure meals, it draws you in to pay for more even when you know it's bad for you. You don't know why you like it, but you want more. And it's the "more" that rots away the tastebuds and the soul.

Mics all over the field, amps and speakers and ear pieces removing the requirement of listening "in". "Phasing" is forever locked thanks to speaker placement. Analog sounds are made to be in tune thanks to mixing boards and iPad balances. Some instrument lines are rendered replaceable with a single push of a key. "It's all good!", we proclaim as the intoxicating effects of the drug rush into the brain. We want more, Caligula-style, until the artificial additive finally chokes off our taste buds; we're not longer tasting the product - only the additive.

The MSG of drum corps is the infiltration of automated electronic execution in the name of entertainment and ticket sales.

Well one has to be of the opinion that it is " bad for you"

Edited by GUARDLING

Musical organizations that don't evolve to reflect society's taste die. It really is that simple. Most "normal people" probably couldn't even name you a symphony. Remember that one broadway play that was all R&B that people went wild for? Of course you do. It was Hamilton, and the reason its success was so absolute was because it reflected the taste of the vast majority of the people who viewed it. It wasn't some stuff, analogue holdover from fifty years ago.

DCI's very survival rests in its ability to intrigue and interest NEW audiences. I think a lot of you guys don't realize that.

• Like 3

I would REALLY like to hear a horn line pre-1990 that could play what Crown did in 2013. Or 2014. Or 2015. Or basically any medalist/Ott winner in the last five(ten?) years. Sure, some problems have been "fixed," but it's not a less difficult activity. And phasing is NOT a thing of the past. Just ask the Bluecoats this year if you want proof of that.

Also, DCI is no less entertaining than it was 30 years ago. It's just less entertaining to you.

• Like 5

I was wondering if the forums would wind down (even more) as the year-end comes into view. Maybe not quite yet. :cool:

Musical organizations that don't evolve to reflect society's taste die. It really is that simple.

Actually, that is totally and doubly backwards. The most successful musical organizations do not react, but instead attract the taste of society. Meanwhile, there is plenty of room in the music world for alternative musical genres, even those that are past their peak.

Just last week, I somehow ended up reading about how Madonna was still out there performing at age 58. Add that to the hundreds of other examples of artists and groups who, according to you, should have "died" 30-50 years ago but are still going. For that matter, some really did die, only to later reunite by popular demand and tour again.

One of the moderators on this board plays with a Scottish pipe band. Clearly, "evolve or die" are not the only two possible outcomes in the music world. Music is not binary.

DCI's very survival rests in its ability to intrigue and interest NEW audiences. I think a lot of you guys don't realize that.

Not sure about that either. Conventional wisdom is that focusing on the same, single audience we chose to focus on 20 years ago (scholastic band) is the winning strategy. Since you disagree, please elaborate. What new audiences do you think we must attract in order to survive?

Musical organizations that don't evolve to reflect society's taste die. It really is that simple. Most "normal people" probably couldn't even name you a symphony. Remember that one broadway play that was all R&B that people went wild for? Of course you do. It was Hamilton, and the reason its success was so absolute was because it reflected the taste of the vast majority of the people who viewed it. It wasn't some stuff, analogue holdover from fifty years ago.

Giving your viewpoint the benefit of the doubt, what musical tastes do A&E, Props, and field speakers address in the "normal people" audience that analog does not? Is summer marching band competition for excellence not enough to attract the kids and the audience?

What excellence are we presenting, BLAST!? To appeal to the public it must be iPads, props, amps and speakers?

Mics all over the field, amps and speakers and ear pieces removing the requirement of listening "in". "Phasing" is forever locked thanks to speaker placement. Analog sounds are made to be in tune thanks to mixing boards and iPad balances. Some instrument lines are rendered replaceable with a single push of a key. "It's all good!", we proclaim as the intoxicating effects of the drug rush into the brain. We want more, Caligula-style, until the artificial additive finally chokes off our taste buds; we're no longer tasting the product - only the additive.

Before I hop on the bandwagon and chastise this post for even the simple fact it has a salacious historical reference...I think there are some good points that can be gleaned from it although i may go a bit tangential...I haven't always agreed with "garfield", but I do think he makes an interesting point...rather than just my knee jerk response against his point I need to really think carefully of the point being made here...although it outlines this stark truth IMO...

The truth is that there is a huge dichotomy right now between the minimalists and the prodigals in drum corps. Though I believe this to be true, some I think are able to enjoy both sides of this dichotomy. Electronics and their "tricks" are just one small aspect of that dichotomy IMO.

There is always going to be a disagreement as to "what is considered art" in drum corps IMO....The stated purpose of a DCI is "...to provide a life changing experience for youth through the art of marching music performance." The very fact that it is considered "art" IMO should allow for continued evolution of electronics both good and bad...will that evolution continue to alienate some?...I say yes that will happen, but it will also be cherished by others...Will there be a middle ground in the near future?

On one hand, I sometimes think to myself electronics is a good way for a few "sub-par" bands/corps to sound just a little better than they otherwise would have sounded...On the other hand, DCI is composed of world-class corps that are supposed to represent the epitome of excellence and in that regard electronics is just an "artistic exploration" into all kinds of creative possibilities...

I do think though that neither side is the vehicle for "growth" of the drum corps audience...Drum corps will forever remain a niche activity IMO and not mainstream...Would we really want it to be mainstream anyway?