Woodwinds

this would push me right into the woodwind camp! love me some bari sax.

This would push me right out of drum corps as a fan.

DCI has already gone way too far afield in instruments that should be allowed. Technically there's no difference between an electric violin and a violin playing into a microphone: a transducer converts acoustic energy into electronic patterns which are then converted back into acoustic energy via transducer and amplified. Yet the former is allowed and the latter is not, and neither should be allowed because speakers cannot match the quality of sound of acoustic instruments.

In the drum corps movement, brass and drums worked well for so long before electronics for a reason: they are powerful, cohesive and complimentary. Adding electronics has only caused endless struggles of compensating for one weakness or another. My view is that if an instrument can not stand on its own without amplification in any context then it should not be used, and woodwinds IN NO WAY can balance brass unless used in enormous numbers, and solo instruments would rely totally on amplification. In most if the contests I've attended recently, the speaker systems were more ear-shattering than satisfying, because the mixing crews are rehearsing for finals week instead of paying attention to what it sounds like at the particular venue they're in at the moment.

Adding woodwinds may seem like the logical next step in DCI, but for this fan it would be the last straw.

Edited by drangin
  • Like 5

I am hopeful that woodwinds do not appear in DCI.

but, I think they are coming, as solo instruments. Entire sections aren't realistic, though I suppose you could mic 3 clarinets (1 per part) and they could match the brass...

edit: I am a saxophone player that marched baritone

Edited by soccerguy315

so many last straws over the years and yet...

....it remains a small activity that not many people know about