Jersey Surf 2017

7 hours ago, corpsband said:

IMO  it seems as if you're just projecting what you experienced in the past and kind of imagining it would somehow transplant to the current corps.  Not sure if you've been around Surf much.  It's not the Bridgemen reborn -- nothing like it in fact.    I get that you loved the show (and clearly -- so did the performers and fans )  but there was a lot of pent up nostalgia there just waiting for that show.  I don't think it's anything you could really build on (unless you were going to try to re-boot the Bridgemen I guess).  

Anyway if you've sent kids there it's a really different vibe.   A lot of kids punch their ticket at Surf and leave because they are looking for a more intense, competitive experience.  Heck some of them move to DCA corps for that! !  I do know this -- the quality of kids in that program are capable of a lot more competitively.  But -- that obviously comes with a price.  And if the price is "we can't field a corps next year",  obviously the admin is not willing to pay it.  

So -- they kind of are what they are.  I know kids who've stayed to age-out at Surf and loved every minute of it.   So kudos to Bob for creating  a home for those kids.    

I'm not hoping to see a return of the Bridgemen through Surf. Bridgemen were very much a product of their time and while I do think the tribute show worked, it would have gotten old fast if they did, let's say Bridgemania II. What I do believe is there was a drive and a momentum in 2012 that continued to 2013. That, combined with a bit more of a push for excellence, would go a long way for the corps. 

Regarding mg those who left for a more competitive and intense drum corps experience with DCA, with the exception of C2, did they move for the more intense experience, or did they leave when Surf included San Antonio in their tour which great.y changed their touring schedule, increased dues, and made working part time and marching impossible? Go back to DCP posts of 2011-2012-2013 and you'll see this was an issue.

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I'm not hoping to see a return of the Bridgemen through Surf. Bridgemen were very much a product of their time and while I do think the tribute show worked, it would have gotten old fast if they did, let's say Bridgemania II. What I do believe is there was a drive and a momentum in 2012 that continued to 2013. That, combined with a bit more of a push for excellence, would go a long way for the corps. 

Regarding mg those who left for a more competitive and intense drum corps experience with DCA, with the exception of C2, did they move for the more intense experience, or did they leave when Surf included San Antonio in their tour which great.y changed their touring schedule, increased dues, and made working part time and marching impossible? Go back to DCP posts of 2011-2012-2013 and you'll see this was an issue.

the Surf I liked best, and is still a great memory, is their 2002 show Down the Shore with The Jersey Surf. This years' show on the surface seems akin to that, with more modern popular music.

• Like 1

It's the Basia tune I look forward to most from this announcement. To me, it evokes the samba and bossa-nova styles to which I have always thought Surf should stake a claim - not a single existing DCI World Class corps has performed anything by Ary Barroso.  I would love to hear Na Baixa do Sapateiro, or even Aquarela do Brasil

(Heck, if they wanted to be cheeky, though could even throw in Peter Allen's I Go to Rio or Barry Manilow's Copacabana)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the source material for the ballad is not only the Sia song Chandelier, but it is arranged based off the Twisted Measure acapella cover. After you listen to it, you understand how it can be used for a ballad much more easily.

* I see someone beat me to this clarification actually

Edited by ThePlatinumYETI

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 84BDsop said:

So....this should be interesting...

Maybe they're Mets fans, or Islanders fans, or Knicks fans....

Not everyone in South Jersey likes toasted Eagles or day old pretzels.

That would be hella entertaining to see the outcome of those on the field, but those are actually for our Soundsport team, not the entire corps. Im not in the team but they're all playing on plastic instruments. I really dont know why that's the cover photo on Facebook now because it's confused literally so many people but whatever, I guess. You can rest assured we're sticking with Jupiter lol 

Edited by spiffysmg

3 hours ago, spiffysmg said:

That would be hella entertaining to see the outcome of those on the field, but those are actually for our Soundsport team, not the entire corps. Im not in the team but they're all playing on plastic instruments. I really dont know why that's the cover photo on Facebook now because it's confused literally so many people but whatever, I guess. You can rest assured we're sticking with Jupiter lol 

I didn't think they were dumping the actual brass horns...more like these would come out for a short section.

In any case would love to see vid of them in use by a WC corps...