Jersey Surf 2017

13 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Nice repertoire. And in case anyone is questioning the choice of "Chandelier," Sia released a lovely piano version of the song on the same album on which the original version is found. As for the show itself, I'll reserve my judgement until I see it. Surf has been in a bit of an identity limbo lately, so I hope this one works out for them.

I'm marching mello this year. Actually, the arrangement is based on the acapella version by Twisted Measure! I like it so much more than the original, actually. It's all going really well so far so I'm excited to see how it turns out. As for the identity crisis, Surf is going back to their roots a bit this year, with the colorful aspect of shows. No doubt it'll be more 'Surf-esque' :)

Edited by spiffysmg
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, spiffysmg said:

I'm marching mello this year. Actually, the arrangement is based on the acapella version by Twisted Measure! I like it so much more than the original, actually. It's all going really well so far so I'm excited to see how it turns out. As for the identity crisis, Surf is going back to their roots a bit this year, with the colorful and fun shows. No doubt it'll be more 'Surf-esque' :)

very very cool

• Like 2

When I first saw the show announcement on Facebook, it struck me as having a contemporary feel, but it also feels a bit of a departure for the corps, but in a more challenging direction. It will be interesting to see what happens. Liahona believes, and I agree, Surf is best when the do Bridgemania type shows. What I remember with both 2012 and 2013 is seeing excitement by marching members at the beginning of the season that continued till Indy. In 2012 and 2013, they were audience darlings had people at semi's eating out of their hands. I would love to see that happen again and an audience friendly show that engages the marching members could do it.

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

I think if they continue along the lines of the Bridgemania type shows they will be on the right track...

Disagree.

That way lies disaster.   Bridgemania was a nice one-off.  But recreating the Bridgemen is a dead end.

I think this show is an interesting choice.  The repertoire is young, relevant.  The show concept -- a kind of urban renewal project? -- is the kind of socially aware program young people might be involved in today.  

The key for Surf -- as always -- will be how well they can teach up their young membership.  IMO the ceiling for Surf is actually really high -- look at what high school band kids can do at the highest level.  Amazing stuff.  Absolutely no reason Surf can't do that sort of thing.  Just need the right teachers and an achievable product.  Nothing wrong with being audience friendly -- but that doesn't mean they need to be goofy about it.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

I like the music for this show! I'm sure that Surf will give their members a great experience!  Go Surf!

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

Disagree.

That way lies disaster.   Bridgemania was a nice one-off.  But recreating the Bridgemen is a dead end.

I think this show is an interesting choice.  The repertoire is young, relevant.  The show concept -- a kind of urban renewal project? -- is the kind of socially aware program young people might be involved in today.  

The key for Surf -- as always -- will be how well they can teach up their young membership.  IMO the ceiling for Surf is actually really high -- look at what high school band kids can do at the highest level.  Amazing stuff.  Absolutely no reason Surf can't do that sort of thing.  Just need the right teachers and an achievable product.  Nothing wrong with being audience friendly -- but that doesn't mean they need to be goofy about it.  

You have some valid points, but I still have to agree with Liahona's assessment. When a Surf moved to WC, their shows had good points but were somewhat generic. Bridgemania gave them a personality and some Bridgemen alums, no doubt buddies of Bob Jacobs, mentored them and instilled a confidence in them. That remained  a bit in 2013. I do think that in 2015 when they had a more whimsical show that did not produce the desired results, you would hear that all that mattered was being an audience favorite or having fun, invoking the memory of Bridgemen and last year North Star, forgetting that  Bridgemen were fierce competitors with challenging shows who loved beating other corps at their own game and North Star loved being a thorn in the side of Boston Crusaders, 27th and Madison, especially in 1979. I don't recall ever hearing from anyone who marched with North Star it was only about the audience or having fun.

Bridgemania should have been a starting point and built on. Some of the silliness should go, and yes you can still entertain an audience and be competitive, but what they accomplished in 2012 is what they need again and should build upon it.

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Haven't people been begging for Snarky Puppy on the field?   Should be fun.  

I was just listening to some Snarky Puppy yesterday and thinking "dang, someone should do this."

Didn't the Bluecoats pit play something by Snarky Puppy in the recent past as a warm-up/encore?

16 minutes ago, Tim K said:

You have some valid points, but I still have to agree with Liahona's assessment. When a Surf moved to WC, their shows had good points but were somewhat generic. Bridgemania gave them a personality and some Bridgemen alums, no doubt buddies of Bob Jacobs, mentored them and instilled a confidence in them. That remained  a bit in 2013. I do think that in 2015 when they had a more whimsical show that did not produce the desired results, you would hear that all that mattered was being an audience favorite or having fun, invoking the memory of Bridgemen and last year North Star, forgetting that  Bridgemen were fierce competitors with challenging shows who loved beating other corps at their own game and North Star loved being a thorn in the side of Boston Crusaders, 27th and Madison, especially in 1979. I don't recall ever hearing from anyone who marched with North Star it was only about the audience or having fun.

Bridgemania should have been a starting point and built on. Some of the silliness should go, and yes you can still entertain an audience and be competitive, but what they accomplished in 2012 is what they need again and should build upon it.

IMO  it seems as if you're just projecting what you experienced in the past and kind of imagining it would somehow transplant to the current corps.  Not sure if you've been around Surf much.  It's not the Bridgemen reborn -- nothing like it in fact.    I get that you loved the show (and clearly -- so did the performers and fans )  but there was a lot of pent up nostalgia there just waiting for that show.  I don't think it's anything you could really build on (unless you were going to try to re-boot the Bridgemen I guess).  

Anyway if you've sent kids there it's a really different vibe.   A lot of kids punch their ticket at Surf and leave because they are looking for a more intense, competitive experience.  Heck some of them move to DCA corps for that! !  I do know this -- the quality of kids in that program are capable of a lot more competitively.  But -- that obviously comes with a price.  And if the price is "we can't field a corps next year",  obviously the admin is not willing to pay it.  

So -- they kind of are what they are.  I know kids who've stayed to age-out at Surf and loved every minute of it.   So kudos to Bob for creating  a home for those kids.    

Edited by corpsband