New DCP Forums 4.1

JohnD

After much too long, I have updated the DCP Forums to the most recent version of the Invision Community Suite. This package provides the software and database foundation for the DCP Forums community.

The update offers a number of new features, which we'll work thru together.  Please know that our first priority is ensuring that the forums can be securely and reliably delivered and maintained - so there may be some features that are available in the package that we have chosen over the years to not implement. I don't expect that we'll be changing our position on those things going forward.

NOTE: It is going to take a number of days for all of the content to be updated.  This means that you may not see things like quoted text properly highlighted or other post features not fully implemented.  This is a perfectly normal condition that will correct itself incrementally over the new few days and weeks.  The sheer size of our database (over 2.6 MILLION posts in the database in-total) requires that the update is handled in smaller chunks and over time.  We'll be keeping an eye on progress, don't worry.

It would not be unusual for content to be cached by your browser - both on your desktop and mobile devices.  If things look strange, our first recommendation is to clear your browser's cache and reload the page.  A couple of refreshes of a page can cure a lot of 'problems'.

Access via your mobile devices should be significantly better - so take a moment to access the site via your phone and/or tablet.  I am aware of the issue with the advert image sizes and will be working on a resolution.  Obviously, we need the adverts to help offset the cost of providing the site - so we'll have to find a way to make them work better on the mobile platforms in all sizes.

Drop a note here if you find a glaring issue.  I'll ask that you're patient as we get the final tweaks in-place and iron out any 'bugs' along the way.

Thank you for your on-going support.

-john and the DCP Admin Team

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping not..... :blink:

Edit: FOUND THEM!  THANKS!

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/forum/221-general-off-topic-discussions/

Edited by TennTux

I have restored the Off-Topic forums - which are now visible to ALL signed-in DCP Members (Guests do not have access).  This version does not provide the method we previously used to grant access, so our alternatives are to provide for all Members or remove the Off-Topic forums.

The Off-Topic forums were moved to an area that required access permission - which was (generally) granted by simply making a request for it. This restriction was put in place when the OT forums were in danger of being eliminated all-together due to the level of rancorous 'back-and-forth' that took place.  We'll see how opening them back up for the general membership goes and hopefully will not have to revisit this decision.  

Please use the "Report Post" link to bring questionable content to our attention.

THANKS John!!

I've noticed (on the mobile version) clicking on a thread doesn't always take you to the first unread post.

And did we lose our "titles":  Rookie, Veteran, Fanatic?  If so -- sigh!

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

I've noticed (on the mobile version) clicking on a thread doesn't always take you to the first unread post.

The 'first unread post' feature appears to work for me - but, if intermittent, may be related to the fact that all of the indexes have not yet been rebuilt by the upgrade process.  The upgrade is a major undertaking for the database, given the size ... so I'll ask for your patience while we let that process finish.  If the issue persists after all of the updates are complete, I'll look into it further.

As for the "Titles", they are alive and well ... just hidden in the mobile interface, to conserve screen real-estate.  Have a look in a desktop browser and you'll see them.

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

The 'first unread post' feature appears to work for me - but, if intermittent, may be related to the fact that all of the indexes have not yet been rebuilt by the upgrade process.  The upgrade is a major undertaking for the database, given the size ... so I'll ask for your patience while we let that process finish.  If the issue persists after all of the updates are complete, I'll look into it further. 

Also - be sure you're clicking on the blue dot at the far left of the thread title.  That's the 'take me to the first unread post' link.

As for the "Titles", they are alive and well ... just hidden in the mobile interface, to conserve screen real-estate.  Have a look in a desktop browser and you'll see them.

First unread post:  I kinda figured there was still some back end rebuilding going on, but I thought I'd mention it.  Thx!