The Academy's soloist

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Did I miss someone passing judgement?  I'm not sure why your post was so insistent that no one pass judgement.

I think his point was that performers move for a wide variety of reasons (not just because they're "moving up") .  Kids jump around the top 6 all the time --  some of them for as whimsical a reason as just to check things out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

Just that people were speculating why marchers were leaving one corps to go to another. It's not 'ring-chasing' all the time, maybe there was another reason.

I'm just saying that I see a lot of people on DCP speculating about things like this, when really it's not something that we would ever be able to know.

I wasn't necessarily saying they gravitate towards the top because of winning.  There are certainly other reasons you'd go to one of those elites.  Maybe a certain caption head or teaching staff you want to be under and learn from, maybe a style you like, maybe something else.  I know a bunch of people who went from a mid to low range finalist corps to a contender for many reasons including and not including a chance to get a ring.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

Exactly. Just because the guy had a solo in the Academy's show doesn't mean he's bound there forever. And yeah, sure, it would've been nice to see him return (as all we ever want for every corps is to retain vets and grow stronger, no one is wishing anything negative on any corps), but it's up to him to do what he wants.

Another possibility is (and DCP'rs have suggested this to potential MM's seeking advice) that he had tried out for and didn't make BD,  or wanted to in the past but first went to Academy for experience, then when the opportunity came (like it seems to have), he moved on (or up) to BD.  Maybe BD was his dream corps.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Another possibility is (and DCP'rs have suggested this to potential MM's seeking advice) that he had tried out for and didn't make BD,  or wanted to in the past but first went to Academy for experience, then when the opportunity came (like it seems to have), he moved on (or up) to BD.  Maybe BD was his dream corps.

Seems logical.  I seem to remember the same thing with that young snare player, where he was told to get a year of experience first and ended up at the Academy.  As someone else has mentioned, it's not just about moving up anymore.  There are plenty of members out there who view certain corps by their reputations and want to be members of those corps, regardless of whether they placed higher at another corps.  The Cavies' horn sergeant is a good example.  The Bluecoats have also inadvertently been acting as a bit of a feeder drumline to BD for a while now, with numerous snare players making that move each year.  I can count at least three on last year's BD line alone, and 3-4 others over the last couple of years.  I'm sure we'll see it again this year with at least one or two of them, even after a Bluecoats championship.

1 hour ago, Musicman1084 said:

Seems logical.  I seem to remember the same thing with that young snare player, where he was told to get a year of experience first and ended up at the Academy.  As someone else has mentioned, it's not just about moving up anymore.  There are plenty of members out there who view certain corps by their reputations and want to be members of those corps, regardless of whether they placed higher at another corps.  The Cavies' horn sergeant is a good example.  The Bluecoats have also inadvertently been acting as a bit of a feeder drumline to BD for a while now, with numerous snare players making that move each year.  I can count at least three on last year's BD line alone, and 3-4 others over the last couple of years.  I'm sure we'll see it again this year with at least one or two of them, even after a Bluecoats championship.

Re: your comments regarding 'Coats... That may be true to some degree but last year I spoke with David Glasgow and he told me that the snare line for Tilt had only 3 'Coats vets and, last year, only one 'Coats vet came and the majority of the line was made up of vets from other corps who "like the jive".

It goes both ways, for sure.  'Coats may lose one to BD but gain one from Cavaliers...

20 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

This is nothing new....there have been plenty of people who have gone to BD after WINNING with another corps....I marched with one in 84. And there was a Crown trumpet from '13 who went to BD a year or 2 later....it happens.

Yeah but Charlie was a bassoonist, so that barely counts, lol.

4 hours ago, rr4353 said:

I see a lot of people on DCP speculating about things like this, when really it's not something that we would ever be able to know.

You mean sorta like the annual prediction thread pages ?