Oregon Crusaders 2017

On 6/28/2017 at 7:18 PM, DrumManTx said:

It's a potential musical monster IMO.  

Currently there is a lot of park and blow in the show, but their brass book is harder than some of the top 12 this year. Kudos to them, I love their uniforms, and they bit off a lot in their staging as well. They obviously need experience, especially in guard, but the sky is the limit for both of the major northwestern corps. 

With Batallion as potential travel mates, there is a lot of exciting potential out west.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Currently there is a lot of park and blow in the show, but their brass book is harder than some of the top 12 this year. Kudos to them, I love their uniforms, and they bit off a lot in their staging as well. They obviously need experience, especially in guard, but the sky is the limit for both of the major northwestern corps. 

With Batallion as potential travel mates, there is a lot of exciting potential out west.

Color Guard seems a lot better written/designed as compared to previous years, they have a ways to go in terms of cleaning but I think their book has more potential/points to squeeze out of it than years past and IMO are at a stronger point from the get go.  Huge potential there.  

Visual program is pretty thematically centric, really brings the whole thing full circle.  Visual performance like the color guard has a ways to go but I think the product they've been given is a lot stronger this year, and it helps the uniforms are way easier to read this year.  Once they catch up in that regard I think they'll get lots of credit for what they're attempting. 

Musically IMO come August this could be a beast, like you said it's incredibly high difficulty stuff.  And with Tim Snyder in addition to their already really good musical staff, brass and percussion, it will be sounding AMAZING by finals week.  The ballad is fantastic, so nice to hear a corps just play a really good arrangement of a song for a few minutes.  Love how the U2 is more of an interwoven presence throughout the show as well as Enya that supplement the Elgar stuff which is the primary source material.  I think they did a great job in terms of musical construction.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Color Guard seems a lot better written/designed as compared to previous years, they have a ways to go in terms of cleaning but I think their book has more potential/points to squeeze out of it than years past and IMO are at a stronger point from the get go.  Huge potential there.  

Visual program is pretty thematically centric, really brings the whole thing full circle.  Visual performance like the color guard has a ways to go but I think the product they've been given is a lot stronger this year, and it helps the uniforms are way easier to read this year.  Once they catch up in that regard I think they'll get lots of credit for what they're attempting. 

Musically IMO come August this could be a beast, like you said it's incredibly high difficulty stuff.  And with Tim Snyder in addition to their already really good musical staff, brass and percussion, it will be sounding AMAZING by finals week.  The ballad is fantastic, so nice to hear a corps just play a really good arrangement of a song for a few minutes.  Love how the U2 is more of an interwoven presence throughout the show as well as Enya that supplement the Elgar stuff which is the primary source material.  I think they did a great job in terms of musical construction.  

T

Edited by luv4corps

PNW corps off to a great start. Like the unis too.

Sending love and good vibes to my homies for Drums Along the Columbia.  With Cascades nipping at your GE heels, I know you'll bring it tonight!!!

This ballad is easily one of my favorites of the year.......it's amazing what can happen when you just pick a song and let it breathe and be what it is.  The Academy last year fell into that category with the closer.  

And it feels awesome being able to talk about a color guard moment, love the paired work at the end of the ballad.  Cool stuff.  

Compared to Seattle Cascades I think it makes sense what the numbers are right now, I really quite enjoy both shows but this one is definitely a bit more framework with moments to fill out whereas theirs is pretty complete, or at least it seems that way out the gate.  

Tomorrow through Denver should be a great indicator of where this thing could go.  Looking forward to it!  

There are some great videos up on youtube right now.  

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've raved about it elsewhere, still think this show is the perfect fit for the corps that took them a few years to find, in terms of matching design to skill levels. I keep finding myself going back to listen to that Enya hit, it really might be one of the best ballad moments of the year. Super excited to see OC in Indy in a few weeks, and I still maintain we will see them move up the ranks a bit as they dig into this show more.

• Like 1

Going into San Antonio, I like the changes OC has made to the show.  The soli section, which was the main feature of Act 2, is out (though I haven't seen enough to know what is in its place).  Not knowing what the judges had to say about it, from my perspective, the show bogged down there, especially visually, so it was a good call. The other big change is the ending - where they've padded it both musically and visually.  

But OC has to BRING IT in San Antonio, coming on just after Surf and before either Genesis or Cascades.  Corps closer to their scoring range are coming on over an HOUR AND A HALF later and after a 45 minute intermission.  No doubt this is the most unlucky performance slot they've ever had since coming into World Class.  They have some serious work to do!

But the show speaks for itself.  The Enya ballad is a big crowd pleaser.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I'm the only one on DCP who noticed but I just LOVED the two beats of silence after the long dissonance at the end of "enrage".  That is a spectacular and highly effective change to the show.  

• Like 1