2017 Uniform Thread

There are a large number of students who are fans in West Texas who wont consider trying out at all. As a subset, they probably represent a fair share of the same age group across the country. 

1 minute ago, mingusmonk said:

To be clear, fan-boys and fan-girls are often different than "future DCI marching members,"

Analyzing audition camp turn-out seems an odd way to judge the quantity of fan-boy/girl.

I think there's some truth to the fan-persons (lol'd when I typed that) will show up at the currently "in-vogue" corps.  So it does affect audition camp turn-out.

3 hours ago, Rileydog said:

There are a large number of students who are fans in West Texas who wont consider trying out at all. As a subset, they probably represent a fair share of the same age group across the country. 

I'm from West Texas and you're absolutely right. I've always wished there were more support for marching arts around El Paso. Some of the kids over there still don't even know what DCI is, and they're in marching band in their schools....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Am I the only one wondering how the Cadets' uniforms will tie in to their generic-seeming show?

Mass is generic?  Sorry you feel that way. I'm completely hyped about it.  There's so much great material to choose from.

• Like 1

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Mass is generic?  Sorry you feel that way. I'm completely hyped about it.  There's so much great material to choose from.

Not in terms of music, but in terms of design. Like it seems sort of like a show with just Mass as it's selections

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 4:09 PM, DawsonBurnes said:

Not in terms of music, but in terms of design. Like it seems sort of like a show with just Mass as it's selections

Ah, ok.  I could come up with a very cool design with that material. I mean, the work was meant to be staged theatrically. It tells a story.

"In the beginning all of the performers are in harmony and agreement. During the course of the Mass, however, the street choir begins expressing doubts and suspicions about the necessity of God in their lives and the role of the Mass itself. At the play's emotional climax, the growing cacophony of the chorus' complaining finally interrupts the elevation of the Body and Blood (the consecrated bread and wine). The celebrant, in a furious rage, hurls the sacred bread, housed in an ornate cross-like monstrance, and the chalice of wine, smashing them on the floor. At this sacrilege the other cast members collapse to the ground as if dead while the Celebrant sings a solo. This solo blends the chorus's disbelief with his realization that he feels worn out and wonders where the strength of his original faith has gone. At the end of his song, he too collapses. A bird-like (Holy Spirit) flute solo begins, darting here and there from different speakers in the hall, finally "alighting" in a single clear note. An altar server, who was absent during the conflict, then sings a hymn of praise to God, "Sing God a Secret Song[6]". This restores the faith of the three choirs, who join the altar server, one by one, in his hymn of praise. They tell the Celebrant "Pax tecum" (Peace be with you), and end with a hymn asking for God's blessing. The last words of the piece are: "The Mass is ended; go in peace." $2 to Wikipedia

Neither The Cadets nor the Blue Knights have presented the music this way.  It's totally something that would fit into modern DCI AND stay within the Cadet identity.  It's really brilliant, imho.

I'm a little concerned about what the incidental music added by the corps staff will be like, but if the Bernstein family approved it, I gotta trust their judgement.

This is the show that the Cadets need to have a successful year.  It is familiar music, but if presented right will be entirely fresh and new.

Edited by jjeffeory

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

Ah, ok.  I could come up with a very cool design with that material. I mean, the work was meant to be staged theatrically. It tells a story.

"In the beginning all of the performers are in harmony and agreement. During the course of the Mass, however, the street choir begins expressing doubts and suspicions about the necessity of God in their lives and the role of the Mass itself. At the play's emotional climax, the growing cacophony of the chorus' complaining finally interrupts the elevation of the Body and Blood (the consecrated bread and wine). The celebrant, in a furious rage, hurls the sacred bread, housed in an ornate cross-like monstrance, and the chalice of wine, smashing them on the floor. At this sacrilege the other cast members collapse to the ground as if dead while the Celebrant sings a solo. This solo blends the chorus's disbelief with his realization that he feels worn out and wonders where the strength of his original faith has gone. At the end of his song, he too collapses. A bird-like (Holy Spirit) flute solo begins, darting here and there from different speakers in the hall, finally "alighting" in a single clear note. An altar server, who was absent during the conflict, then sings a hymn of praise to God, "Sing God a Secret Song[6]". This restores the faith of the three choirs, who join the altar server, one by one, in his hymn of praise. They tell the Celebrant "Pax tecum" (Peace be with you), and end with a hymn asking for God's blessing. The last words of the piece are: "The Mass is ended; go in peace." $2 to Wikipedia

Neither The Cadets nor the Blue Knights have present the music this way.  It's totally something that would fit into modern DCI AND stay within the Cadet identity.  It's really brilliant, imho.

I'm a little concerned about what the incidental music added by the corps staff will be like, but if the Bernstein family approved it, I gotta trust their judgement.

This is the show that the Cadets need to have a successful year.  It is familiar music, but if presented right will be entirely fresh and new.

OR

It's actually a Black Mass.  (it does explain why they switched to black uniforms) 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

OR

It's actually a Black Mass.  (it does explain why they switched to black uniforms) 

hqdefault.jpg

I'm just looking forward to Crown's response show....

Belshazzar's Feast:  Feast v Supper...  We gonna get all Biblical up in here.

1280px-Rembrandt-Belsazar.jpg

V

1920px-%C3%9Altima_Cena_-_Da_Vinci_5.jpg