2017 Uniform Thread

But if the context is up to us, how would we be using it out of context?

28 minutes ago, Spandy said:

So let me parse your logic...

parse away

it's context dependent is all i'm saying. i think if we put away our pride for just a moment, it's clear that there's no real difference between using costume and uniform in the context of dci. you have snarky people like me who use costume as a pejorative for what we're seeing the corps proper with most orgs today, but of course it's a uniform as well.

i'm just a language geek. 

as for the cop thing, put nyc cops into blooo's "uniforms" from last year, and exactly nobody would say "ooooh, the NYC Police department changed their uniforms," they would say "why are NYC Police all wearing costumes?"

as I said, context-dependent. 

again, i'm just a language geek, and i fully understand how absurd this is. it's friday, and i'm bored. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

i'm just a language geek. 

So you must know that meaning and connotation are driven by usage, and not the other way around. Plenty of people I know in the community, I would even say a majority, refer to Bluecoats and other similar looks as uniforms without a second thought.

it's clear that there's no real difference between using costume and uniform in the context of dci

That's really all I'm trying to get at.

you have snarky people like me ... it's friday, and i'm bored. 

Same. No disrespect intended, only discourse.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Spandy said:

So you must know that meaning and connotation are driven by usage

yes. and it changes over time, which is really just another form of context. 

these are basic Chomsky-isms.

that little green thing that comes in a pod? one of those was actually called a pease in modern English for centuries. the plural was peasen. over time, because of incorrect usage (and largely because most plurals end with the "s" sound), the singular got clipped down to pea, with plural peas.  Those were 100% incorrect until a little over a century ago, but because English adapts to usage (correct or incorrect), they're now the standard. 

anyway, the whole thing with uniform/costume is unimportant in the context of dci, but talking about language is fun. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And I'd say, " how was 4th place in 92?"

Better than the placement of every other corps below them?

4th was a good placement considering the drum line issues that year.

Spandex is easy to move in, relatively cheap to outfit for a large group, and can give performers a ... dare I say it... uniform... look.

While the Bluecoats' squiggly design has little to do with "Down Side Up," I do heartily agree with the idea that for what they were doing, more athletic-type apparel was both appropriate and effective.

The "traditional" uniforms have been headed this way for almost 20 years now too - lighter, stretchier material, digital printing, etc.  To be honest, I'll be surprised if some corps doesn't go full on athletic and use track/warmup suits at some point. 

Mike

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

To be honest, I'll be surprised if some corps doesn't go full on athletic

Well, the last time a drum corps tried to go "full on athletic" (for their guard, at least), we got this:

Cavaliers2015_UniformReveal_01.png

Quote from the 2017 SCV show announcement on their website:

"Like the serpent shedding its skin, Vanguard reveals a new identity while fiercely protecting its traditions."

You know what that means...

(Also nobody told me Michael Gaines was working with SCV!)

• Like 1